fujimar

"Not a Tax Invoice" - legal status

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2392 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have an ongoing dispute with E.On in respect of a Final Bill that is turning ugly. They are claiming that an online copy of a Paper Bill [they have admitted they have not sent] marked as "COPY - Not a Tax Invoice" is a demand for payment - whilst I'm holding out for the final Tax Bill so I can reclaim the VAT.

Does anyone know the precedent of whether a Not for Tax Purposes Bill is a valid invoice..? Would/could delayed payment of such a "bill" be grounds for adverse credit reference reporting, i.e. just when does a Copy "Not for Tax Purposes" Bill become enforceable..?

Regards, Mike

Hi fujimar,

I am assuming that you are VAT registestered, if so then read on:

This is from HM R&C:

What is a VAT invoice

A VAT invoice shows certain VAT details of a sale or other supply of goods and services. It can be either in paper or electronic form.

A VAT-registered customer must have a valid VAT invoice from the supplier in order to claim back the VAT they have paid on the purchase for their business – see the section in this guide on the need for a valid VAT invoice to reclaim VAT.

What is not a VAT invoice

The following are not VAT invoices:

• pro-forma invoices
  • invoices that state 'this is not a tax invoice'
  • statements
  • delivery notes
  • orders
  • letters, emails or other correspondence

You cannot reclaim the VAT you have paid on a purchase by using these documents as proof of payment.

The full details can be found here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/charging/vat-invoices.htm

G

Edited by gerson
Forgot to say

Thank you -you are correct I am VAT registered. The question I am seeking an answer to is... Does a Non for Tax Invoice represent a lawful demand for payment or is it just a statement of account..?

Thank you - you/E.ON were asked/instructed to send your Final Bill by post but failed to do so AND still refuse to do so.

This has resulted in an impasse where without the final VAT Bill I cannot reclaim the amount from my employer and you have instructed Debt Colllectors...! I do not regard a COPY - Not for Tax Purposes as being a lawful demand for payment. No doubt this matter will land up on Court regrettably.

Regrettably despite all attempts at getting a genuine invoice from E.On this has not been forthcoming. I am now suing them. I'll keep everyone updated.

normally the front page of the bill is a statement of account, showing recent transactions. The actual invoice is on page 3/4 and shows a breakdown of charges, including the vat and the invoice number