Part time mum, forced to work On-call, no remuneration

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My girlfriend is getting a lot of hassles at work for having to work on call at weekends.

I work on call but i get paid for it, paid for disturbance then paid a rate for the time i work on incidents

She collects the work phone friday night and drop sit back monday morning, compensation regardless of workload is 1 day in leu. She cannot leave the house.

She also works part time, so as the others get a full day off she just gets 1 half day.

Its becoming a real pain for no reward, she got called at 3am and 4am the other weekend, waking all the kids in the house. This weekend shes working, so shes going ot have to keep the kids indoors for two full days, its just not on.

Her contract states she may be required to work saturday 8-5pm and on call sunday.

Is a new job the only way out?

My initial response has been "work until 5pm, turn off the phone until sunday, or get out of it because you have kids and get two half days off." If she has to work on a call for an hour, surely she must be paid money for the time shes working on it, as this is clearly restricting her free time?

Shes been there a year

Well rang ACAS today... they said unless its in the handbook or contract, and so agreed to the terms, she cannot be laid off with reduced pay (as they have done).

So, theyre in the wrong, but shed have to go in Monday with a complaint letter saying "thanks, but no thanks, im staying".

Or she accepts it and gets out of the job, get the benefits and find a decent place to work (she hates it there)

They also said they dont intend to call her in for work over the next 3 months...at which point she can claim redundancy, going by the same website it says she can claim redundancy after 4 weeks on the trot... they dont know this, they think its after 13 weeks but thats presuming you go in at some point to work (max 5 days)