• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

taken bh to court i have defaulted but washing machine breakdown again.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3912 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

i.ve got about 8 items with these and my money as recently gone down and couldn.t afford the payments ,

so got behind payments

were £108 a wk.

£20 of it is my daughters .

its now 6/7 payments late

£180 late charges

had constant phone calls that start at 8 in the morning until 5.30

had visits also demanding goods back.

EVen had their debt collectors calling

not very nice man threatening me in front of my kids even though i had CAB on the phone while he was there he lied through is backside.

i.ve been in to see them after they told me they will help but instead told me flat out unless i return some of my goods

or pay what i owe they won.t rewrite it and won.t take the insurance off my items either to drop the price down.

they said my account is being delt with a solicitor even though i ain.t heard nothing .

only received default notice on the weekend but it don.t state anything about when they need payments by

just states they first ever payment i missed and the late charge.

do anyone now what they can do and where i stand got about 4 items ending within the next few months to a year.

thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The debt collectors have no powers and can be told where to go and close the door

how much have you got left owing in total

what is the insurance on it if you have home insurance you wont need it and may be able to reclaim it back

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

you can reclaim both the ins and the other thing too.

as for their threats

IT's an HP agreement

if you've paid more than 1/3rd of the argeements, they'll need a court order to take them

and even then, it would be a COURT BAILIFF

not some bog from BH/DCA, theyhave no legal powers to take NOWT.

plenty of threads here to read

time to wise up and know what they/you can/cannot do

send the telephone harrassment letter too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The debt collectors have no powers and can be told where to go and close the door

how much have you got left owing in total

what is the insurance on it

if you have home insurance you wont need it and may be able to reclaim it back

hi

i.m not quite sure under 2000

i.ve got household insurance and i didn.t want all the insurance that i got but they made me have it .

if it goes to court can they take items as had phones for my son and daughter as presents before my income dropped .

they won.t accept any payment at all unless items are back or arrears paid.

can they make me pay all them charges and the insurance i.ve been a brilliant customer up to now .

thanks for all the help its a great help

Cab by me are not really sure on hp arangements and 7 wks before i can be seen .

to be honest if i could got another settee i would give this one back its 2yrs old and utter rubbish

i.ve had it fixed so many times and it still breaks .

it has losts of zips and they keep breaking twice had to wait over 3 months for it to be fixed.

would i be able to claim all the insurance back as i.ve always had house insurance and they know this as had copys ,

was unemployed when all taken out as they are in my name not husbands.

have you got to pay the charges every week

they.ve changed their contracts recently

my old ones i probably can

anything lately i don.t know

as they.ve not put the same wording on them as before.

hi arianna,

You should be able to claim back your OSC and your DLC. You have house insurance, so, IMHO both of these were missold...

Also, I have read that the charges for late payment are unlawful, - you should be able to claim this back.

My experience with this company leads me to believe that in order to claim your rights under law, you have no choice but to take the company to Court. I would love it if they proved me wrong on this point. If needs be, if they are not willing to help you, then consider making a small claim against them through the Court. There are many people here who would be willing to help you if you decided you need to do this.

Good luck!

just to be clear

you DO NOT need any house insurance on any HP schemes.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok thanks for all the help its taken a load off mind.

i.m to phone them by 3 tomorrow what should i tell them

they want the phones as they are the most recent and the most money but i.ve paid them up until end of october .

i had them in june and july and my laptop which ends in may next year thats about 50 for them 3.

should i just say take me to court and if they do this will i be able to attend cause i want the court to know how they treat you.

how come they keep getting away with it all.

how do i go about claiming all the insurance money back also.

can.t believe the help i.ve had tonight its amazing .

you are under no legal obl to converse on the phone

writing only!!

you need a data trail.

do you have all the statements?

if not SAR them

you should be able to put in a reclaim then.

though there are instances whereby members have gotten the osc etc back by contacting their customer services.

have a look at a few threads here.

dx

and they

been to my local cab about my problems with brighthouse .

cab not up to scratch on higher purchase issues and as i.ve got some other debts

he asked if i wanted to do a debt relief order,

as they won.t come to an arrangement for the missed payments.

its all or nothing.

need help claiming insurance back on everything

don.t know how to go about it and the charges for late payments.

but would they take me to court got a few items that i had this year and a few nearly finished. a

nyone ever done a debt relief order with brighthouse and did anything happen .

would of rather paid them off but they won.t budge.

I think if you do a debt relief order it will be for ALL your debts.

Have a read of the stickies in the PPI forum to see how to reclaim your PPI :) Shout if you need any further advice, or post in the PPI forums.

Do you have all your statements ? If not then you will need to send Subject Access Requests to companies in order to obtain them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think if you do a debt relief order it will be for ALL your debts.

Have a read of the stickies in the PPI forum to see how to reclaim your PPI :) Shout if you need any further advice, or post in the PPI forums.

Do you have all your statements ? If not then you will need to send Subject Access Requests to companies in order to obtain them.

hi i.ve got 2 statements

i think what i need to know is will they take me to court to get goods back if i go down that root cab says

they.ve not heard of anyone going to court and thinks i should take a chance ,

the thing is i.ve not really got choice our income as dropped by over £400 a month and simply can.t afford to pay them

.i.ve got 3 phones with them which where gifts for my children for birthdays then a month later income went down.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

got into arrears with brighthouse about 8 wk payments owed.

i came on here about it a few weeks ago and was told about my insurance to claim back.

i.ve told them this and have really looked into it

i.ve always had home contents so never needed it

what happened was they tell you to sign here here and never ask about your if you are already covered

.only twice they ever did and i showed them my documents but still they gave me their insurance.

they got really nice to me after i told them i want to claim it all back

but what they are trying to say is you signed it why did you do this.

we.ll have to investigate it to see whats happened

i.ve worked out over 4 years with them i.m owed over 4500

do you think i will get this back all

they want is their arrears and i told them no way you owe me more than i owe you

when you pay me you can have your goods back but not until then

and even said they will take me to court in 28 days

so i said go on then

i.ll take you to a small claims court then and make it public so everyone will be looking to claim insurance back they soon shut up.

i've merged al your thread on BH

keep to one please.

you do not habe to give the goods back

i hope all of this is in WRITING

if not start now.

send them your calculations regarding the insurances

and also dont forget the PENALTY charges too.

fill this out too:

This fourth spreadsheet is useful in calculating a regulatory based compound interest award for PPI on a Revolving Credit Account. Not all statements are required for this sheet because it will work out the compound interest on the PPI payments you do know about. It will not work out the additional 8% interest, to do that you will need spreadsheet three above AND all of your statements.

FosCISheet v101.xls

one for the insurances

one for any fees

dx

and they

you'll need office or open office

just checked ok to me

whats the issue?

dx

and they

i.m posting on my phone and was trying to find out how i work out what they owe me plus interest.

brighthouse are getting back to by end of thursday with a decision

can.t see them giving the money without a fight mind.

they never even asked how much they owe just that i.m claiming all insurance back and they said they will look into it.

to be honest she was really nice took all details and said will pass to area manager to investigate my claim and will be in touch by the end of thursday.

have they a leg to stand on i.ve got all my insurance docs for the house .

lets just clarify one point

you DON'T need ANY insurance on HP agreements

thats a read herring BH use to spoof people.

as for the spready

you'll need to use a pc sadly.

dx

and they

ok thanks for that and all the help .

if the insurance bit is true how are they still able to do this to you

i had to take my insutance docs in to prove i.m covered for the last few years .

she even said that sometimes your home contents don.t cover you for hire purchase and if so you would need the insurance.

how come these companys are getting away with it banks have been stopped why not them.

its hitting the poorest and already struggling familys who won.t question anything cause they need them items they know this and take advantage.

They get away with it because

a) People dont bother to check that what they are being told is correct

b) When they are reimbursed after a fuss, people dont continue with their complaints to the regulators

Whilst the OFT wont deal with individual complaints they are required to keep records that show the type of complaint, frequency and the company the complaint is regarding.

The Financial Ombudsman will actually charge the company to investigate a complaint.

As always, unless a lot of complaints are made, then the regulators will just consider it a one off.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

you are right

once you get what you want you don.t bother going through with complaints ,

problem is the process you got to go through to make the complaint.

bh are suppose to be getting back to me tomorrow about my claim

no figures are mentioned as i told them that i want all my insurance back on every item over the last few years .

and they said they.ll investagate it .

they did try and say but you signed it and i replyed well you just said sign here here and here ect

you never asked for insurance and didn.t ask me.

if they come back to me saying we've not missold it and we not giving money back

what should i say back about taking it further.

they'll refund them

they have with hundreds of people

the word is getting around.

dx

and they