• Tweets

• ignore stop panicking about a whole nothing burger. 100's of threads here. dx  
    • this is not America, don't keep believing what you see on TV or about the USA means that happens here, it DOES NOT. you won't and they can't use character assassination to try and discredit you nor can they access ANYTHING that is not already in the PUBLIC domain about you. none of which you are fretting about are PUBLIC RECORDS. as for 'being arrested = a criminal record' = untrue. where did you ever get that idea from?? it is not publicly available and is only held on police PNC. and no your details cannot be published in a news paper = same rules apply to you as the accused, in fact even more so. you really do appears to be reading some very weird websites..  
    • Thanks dx and jk.   I'll just ignore them. I did check the advice given in other threads but wanted to be sure that was still relevant to my situation.  Thanks again. Appreciate the support 
    • I've been on this site for eight years and I haven't seen one PPC case where a DCA turned up at the motorist's door. Even if they did they couldn't do anything, but in any case it's never happened. If you read this short thread you will see all the stages of the legal procedure all the way to winning in court, which is highly unlikely to be necessary in your case  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406892-highview-parking-anpr-pcn-claimform-urban-exchange-manchester-claim-dismissed/#comments
    • They upped the quote by £120 in the end, forcing me to go elsewhee
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Big Fight With NAT WEST ***WON***

Deller
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update, I've gone ahead with my proposed action and faxed through a copy of my updated particulars to Cobbetts along with a covering letter and another copy of my schedule, I have asked for all of this to be attached to my claim and explained that I was unable to provide these details originally due to restrictions of space when filing my claim online. Particulrs sent as follows:-

CLAIM BETWEEN

deller1, and

NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK plc

CLAIM NUMBER xxxxxxxx

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant has an account, a/c no xxxxxxxx, s/c xx-xx-xx, with the Defendant which was opened around 1991

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges and interest between 18th September 2000 and 1st October 2006 for the sum of £xxxx;

b) Court costs;

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at 8% in the sum of £xxx or at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true

Signed:

Date: 31/10/06

I printed a report to confirm the fax had gone through, then after waiting 5 minutes phoned Cobbetts and received confirmation that the documents had been received.

With a bit of luck this may of sorted out my problem.

Here's hoping!!! :grin: :grin:

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Guest screwloose

Well you certainly seem to be going through the mill at the mo!!

I'll have to make sure I pay extra attention when I get to this stage, don't think I could be dealing with all that stress.

You'll get through it, I've got everything crossed for you. ;-) ;-)

Tell me about it screwloose, my advice to everyone is to make sure your very thorough, it does'nt pay to cut any corners!!

I notice you've worked out how to get the pictures in screwloose. Very pretty!!!

Well, time is running out for Cobbetts to get their defence in and their 28 days are nearlly up. Saturday 4th is judgement day. I expect they'll get their defence in right at the last moment, that seems to be the norm for them. :x

Della, I got my defence on the last day, and the AQ from the court, along with moving to a court near me arrived two days later. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is !!

M-Stanley, Marbles , Barclaycard,Cap 1, NW CC's x 3, NWest, MBNA , HSBC CC ALL WON

Outstanding

Halifax initial 11/10 acknowledged 19/10 LBA 25/10

LTSB initial 12/10 LBA 26/10

Barclays initial 3/10,response 9/10 LBA 17/10,MCOL 1/11, defence &AQ 10/12

Bof Ireland mort' S.A.R 16/10, initial 23/11, LBA 7/12,MCOL 23/12

NatWest home loans S.A.R sent 23/10,Initial 16/12, LBA 6/1

NatWest business a/c initial 9/11, LBA 25/11, MCOL 9/12, AQ 20/1,cheque recieved 17/2 but had to send it back !!

HSBC c/a AQ returned 17/2

HSBC bus' a/c MCOL 17/2

Tell me about it, very frustrating :mad: , but having read through loads of other threads it seems to be the same for everyone.

Seems they're keeping hold of the money for as long as they can, more interest for them I suppose, but then again, more for us too!!:lol:

• Haha 1

Hi Deller,

I've got an offer today from Cobbetts for £2000 which I'll refuse. This has come one day after their AQ, 2 days after my AQ due date. They're following a pattern, next thing is getting a court date, then , hopefully final settlement, yes its stages/obstacles, but hang in and win

NatWest claim filed 7th Sept, acknowledged 13/9, filed judgement by default 12/10/06,defence and cpr18 rec'd 13/10, Cobbetts AQ rec'd 1/11/06, offered £2000 2/11, refusal sent 3/11, cheque recd 18/11 for £3854.54...WON

Natwest 2nd account S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 19/9,request for payment sent 2/11, £165

Ace Cards & gifts S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 19/9, statements received 27/9, request for refund of £259 sent 28/9

***WON Ace cheque received 18/11***

Been away for a couple of days and got back to find Cobbetts defence on my doormat, right on their last day to get defence in. This is the stage where I'm a little unsure of what happens or what I should do, especially after the recent problems with the particulars of my claim.

Their defence reads as follows:

1. This defence is filed and served without prejudice to the defendant's case that the Particulars of Claim do not disclose reasonable grounds for bringing a claim against the Claimant to recover the bank charges (and interest thereon) referred to in the Particulars of Claim or any other sum(s). In the event that the Claimant does not properly particularise his claim then the Defendant will apply to strike out the claim and/or for summary judgement in respect of the same.

2. On allocation the Defendant invites the Court to direct that there be a case management conference in order for the Court to consider the making of appropriate orders to give the Claimant the opportunity to properly particularise his claim.

3. No admissions are made as to what charges have been debited to the Claimant's bank account.

4. The Defendant is embarrassed by the lack of particularity pleaded in the Particulars of Claim to the extent that the Particulars of Claim fail to disclose reasonable grounds for bringing a claim against the Defendant. The Claimant is required to identify the common law, statutes and consumer regulations that he alleges are unlawful. Until such time as these statutes/regulations and the provisions therin are identified the Defendant cannot plead to the allegation within the Particulars. The Defendant therefore reserves its right to plead further to the allegation once (and if) the Claimant further particularises his claim.

5. The Claimant is time-barred from bringing a claim of unauthrised bank charges prior to 2 October 2000 by the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980.

6. Save as hereinbefore appears the Defendant joins issue with the Claimant on his claim(s) and denies that it is liable to the Claimant as alleged or at all.

So what happens now, I'm a little confused, do I wait or should I be responding in some way??

PLEASE HELP!!!!

from what i have read deller this seems to be the usual responce, and that all the particulars have been given at time of filing the claim, and on the seperate occassions that u have sent a complete break down to natwest... there are a few threads here one of which i think is the partcpr18 one which deals with this... it has a letter u can send back stating that the amounts and individual transactions have all been supplied to their client and that u see this as a stalling and intimadatry tatic... and that just for the sake of their records yopu enclose the account name, number and a breakdown. this is the only information u need to supply to them, they already know from your particulars what laws your using for the claim itself

18/10/06 sent lba for current account

18/10/06 claim issued against NatWest for £2,495.00

30/09/06 O'Neill V NatWest - declined offer of £1216.00 sent responce to settlement letter

30/09/06 O'neill v Woolwich plc mortgage account sent Data Protection Act notice for not replying

30/09/06 Oneill v citifinancial sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

30/09/06 O'neill V Capital One sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

If u can do it, SO CAN I!!!!!!!!!!

My worry though is what my original particulars of claim were (as stated in post #67 of this thread). I have since sent an updated version to Cobbetts but havn't amended my particulars through the court. Not sure whether this would affect my case as the particulars Cobbetts are referring to will be those stated on my original claim. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have since sent an updated version to Cobbetts but havn't amended my particulars through the court.

This won't change anything. You can send Cobbetts the greatest POC's ever, all they have to do is throw them in the bin.

The ones that matter are the ones you file with your claim and, by your own admission, these are pretty inadequate.

Follow Alan's advice.

I had exactly the same defence from them on Friday for a 2nd claim - not including the limitation act - here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/41199-nat-west-2nd-claim.html

I have letter ready to reply to Cobbetts and will send a copy to court - feel free to use and amend if you wish.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

corbetts prob arnt even reading them, they get the claim and send out the first letter. hence the reson why everyone are getting letters with the same half a sentence missing... dont worry fella ul be ok,,, if your that worried send the court a letter explaining and refering to the fact u sent corbetts a copy and the date

18/10/06 sent lba for current account

18/10/06 claim issued against NatWest for £2,495.00

30/09/06 O'Neill V NatWest - declined offer of £1216.00 sent responce to settlement letter

30/09/06 O'neill v Woolwich plc mortgage account sent Data Protection Act notice for not replying

30/09/06 Oneill v citifinancial sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

30/09/06 O'neill V Capital One sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

If u can do it, SO CAN I!!!!!!!!!!

Having read through a lot of other threads the defence I've received does seem to pretty much the same as a lot of other peoples, but I'm still worried because of my POC mistake. Should I be responding to Cobbetts along the lines of the letter gizmo111 used, or should I send a copy of my updated Poc (as in post #77) to the Court and ask them to attach to my claim, or do I need to make official amendmant and if so not sure how to go about this in the correct manner. Or maybe I should do nothing, wait, and see what their (Cobbetts) next move is. I'm finding this all very confusing!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for the advice gizmo, I have just checked on MCOL and my case states:- The defendant disputes the whole amount you have claimed. Your claim cannot proceed online and will be transferred to the appropriate court for continuation. You will receive confirmation to where the claim has been transfered to shortly.

Should I prehaps wait for this to happen before I take any further action, and how long does it take for a claim to be transfered?

Thanks for the advice gizmo, I have just checked on MCOL and my case states:- The defendant disputes the whole amount you have claimed. Your claim cannot proceed online and will be transferred to the appropriate court for continuation. You will receive confirmation to where the claim has been transfered to shortly.

Should I prehaps wait for this to happen before I take any further action, and how long does it take for a claim to be transfered?

I would say that you would be best to now wait a couple of weeks then give your local county court a ring to see if the file has arrived. As soon as it has then I would send an exact copy of what you sent to the Defendant, along with a covering letter as you have suggested stating that you have already sent a copy to the Defendant.

If the court want you to make an official request - or they are unhappy in any way, you can be sure that they will let you know what they want you to do - however, I would expect that they will just accept the revised POC's without any bother.

until you are contacted by the court. Until the case file is actually

I've telephoned the Bristol County Court to see if my claim had been transfered there. I was told that case was in the process of being transfered as of today. I explained that I had received Cobbetts defence and that it stated my Particulars of Claim were inadequate. When I asked if these needed to be amended the lady said that as soon as the file arrived it would be referred to the judge and that he would suggest what needed to be done next.

So I guess its just a case of sitting and waiting now like Alan has stated.

Will probably phone the court again in a few days to see if my file has arrived and when I know its there I can then forward the additional documents which I've already sent to Cobbetts, hopefully they will just accept these!!