Possibly getting sued. Help needed

BH1904
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I really hope someone can help me.

Long story....

Basically I run a non profit (No money involved at all) blog on a popular blogging website.

About a year ago I bought access to a well known German photo website and proceeded to use their images. About a week ago the log-in stopped working, although I found a way around it by using an old login registered to my real name and home address (*shakes head*...I know, I know...)

So this log-in worked until Monday, then a message stated my account was "locked" appeared...Like the idiot that I clearly am, I emailed the company asking why my log-in was blocked and when I didn't get a reply, I registered again with a different email address.

Yesterday they sent a message back advising that they would "Pass my details to one of their UK partners who would take action against my activities using their website"

Then I got a message from the blogging platform I use, warning me about copyright violations. I emailed them back asking if it was specific to me or whether they were sending it to all their users, they then replied and said that they had receieved a complaint from a copyright holder about images I had posted and advised I should remove them. They also stated that if the images are removed, no further action will be taken - although I think they mean by them, rather than the photo company.

I will be the 1st one to say that I have been a complete idiot, I am in the process of removing all images from this company but I am completely terrified of being sued. I am just a normal person and I don't have the means to pay a large settlement fee or even hire a lawyer.

I am just asking for advice as to how to deal with this situation. If the company makes contact, do I acknowledge their letters or just ignore?

Thanks.

I doubt that they would take this further if you removed all copyrighted images.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you all for your replies.

My only worry is that they already found by blog (it wasn't linked to any registrations) and they are quite a big company who have my name and address (I repeat, I have been an idiot)

I have removed all images from the past month and am in the process of removing the remaining ones.

But what should I do if I receive a letter from them? Or any further correspondence? Do I ignore it or is it time to start thinking about legal advice?

Thanks to all again

Thank you all for your replies.

My only worry is that they already found by blog (it wasn't linked to any registrations) and they are quite a big company who have my name and address (I repeat, I have been an idiot)

I have removed all images from the past month and am in the process of removing the remaining ones.

But what should I do if I receive a letter from them? Or any further correspondence? Do I ignore it or is it time to start thinking about legal advice?

Thanks to all again

If you receive a letter saying that they intend to take you to court, then yes obtain legal advice.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

How many images are there if it is taking you that long ? If you get a letter from them then explain that you are currently removing them and give them a time frame in which they can expect not to see any more images....

Edited by 42man

Hi, There are hundreds of images, I have been using this source for about a year, but since I used the new log-in, there are about 30 photo’s, all of which have now been removed. I have removed all images from the past 2 months.

I guess I just have to wait and see whether I get any further correspondence from them now :/

Hi, There are hundreds of images, I have been using this source for about a year, but since I used the new log-in, there are about 30 photo’s, all of which have now been removed. I have removed all images from the past 2 months.

I guess I just have to wait and see whether I get any further correspondence from them now :/

So you logged onto this German site and could access images that were not protected in any way from being copied and pasted elsewhere ? They were copyrighted and there was some t&c's on the site about how you could use the images ? I think I would be reading these t&c's very carefully and what I had agreed to when signing up to the site. I have long held suspicion that copyrighted material is deliberately placed online without any protection from copying, with the intention at some point to make requests for money to cover the breaches of copyright.