lots of debts - help!

ratbag1970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner and I went to the CAB for help back in 2006.

Arranged payment plans for us which we've been paying ever since.

Some have now obviously dropped off of our CRF,

some we've have discount letters for,

a couple of the smaller ones have been paid off.

Would the advice still be to send off a CCA letter?

We're struggling to feed the kids and heat the house.

We looked into a DRO but I have a Motobility vehicle and he has his own vehicle for work so that was a no go.

I do know the rules regarding DCA's,

we never talk to them on the phone,

we always get everything in writing etc.

Lots of lessons learned over the years.

DCA's

Cabot,

Capquest,

Debt Managers,

Lowell Fiance,

BLS and

Allied.

Advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give us some details of each debt please?

The age of the debt,

The amount of the debt.

Are you paying at present.

Which DCA is involved.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

yes please list your debt please

also, those with discounts

prob need careful investigation.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for replying so quickly.

The debts range between around £600 and £3000.

Don't really want to list everything on an open forum.

A couple of them are Credit cards and another is a store card.

We had thought about trying to claim back PPI, but we can't find any of the original paperwork,

know who they were with, but neither of us are upto fighting through courts.

I'll send the CCA's off and see where that gets us.

Had reduction offers from Cabot and Allied for definite.

For your PPI with no paper work, a SAR to the creditor is the way to get the data,

you will need to supply some detail, such as all addressess effective during the life of an account,

the type of account, account number if available, full name at the inception of the account, any name changes relevant, any thing else you can remember.

Discounts usually mean no paper work, old debt poss approacing statute barred.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

yep put those with a discount to the back of the pay me list

get some SAR's off and get reclaiming PPI & PENALTY charges

no danger in listing your debts here

1000's have done it.

all those you are paying a WELL KNOWN spoofers

esp debt managers , BLS , allied.

list your debt

list who as the OC too before the DCA's [brought the debts?}

dx

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok, Big list:

DM = Redcats catalogue £674.39 repayments of £5 a month since 2006/7.

1st Credit = Lloyds TSB credit card £2395.48 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7.

Apex = Lloyds TSB (joint account) Overdraft £470 repayments of £5.60 pm since 2006/7.

(I'm sure some of this included charges eg, being 10p OD and then them Charging us £30 for being overdrawn!)

BLS = LLoyds TSB Loan for around £900 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7 (probable late fees etc)

CL Finance = Mothercare store card £3776.28 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7.

Lowell Finance = Capital One cc £1292.10 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7. (This one I know def had PPI & excessive charges on it.)

Cabot Financial = Littlewoods Catalogue £2074.58 - £2861.01 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7 (Regular discount offers on this one.)

amount on statement fluctuates by up to £800.

We have called them, via phonebox lol, and apparently if our payment is late they add outstanding interest then remove it when they receive payment??????

Capquest = Littlewoods cc £1600 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7. Fairly certain there was PPI on this and charges.

Right,

first off if anyone doesn't have anything constructive to say, don't say it!!

Play nice please.

We've clearly been numpties!

Repayments were arranged originally by CAB Debt Adviser in 2006.

This is the first time since 2006/7 I've looked at everything due to ill health.

I'm not disputing we owe any of these debts (back in the days when we both worked) so I do feel we should pay them.

However, after hubby having no work again, and £250 pw down on finances something has to give.

Some of the balances don't look like they've really reduced by anything in 5/6 years.

I am unable to find any of the original paperwork or statements for any of the above.

Mental health not so great right now.

Constructive help and advice is appreciated.

Ok, Big list:

DM = Redcats catalogue £674.39 repayments of £5 a month since 2006/7. - CCA them

1st Credit = Lloyds TSB credit card £2395.48 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7. - CCA them

Apex = Lloyds TSB (joint account) Overdraft £470 repayments of £5.60 pm since 2006/7. - IMHO i would stop paying anything.

(I'm sure some of this included charges eg, being 10p OD and then them Charging us £30 for being overdrawn!)

BLS = LLoyds TSB Loan for around £900 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7 (probable late fees etc) - CCA them

CL Finance = Mothercare store card £3776.28 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7. - CCA them

Lowell Finance = Capital One cc £1292.10 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7. (This one I know def had PPI & excessive charges on it.) - CCA them

Cabot Financial = Littlewoods Catalogue £2074.58 - £2861.01 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7 (Regular discount offers on this one.) - discounts = stop paying, - CCA them

amount on statement fluctuates by up to £800.

We have called them, via phonebox lol, and apparently if our payment is late they add outstanding interest then remove it when they receive payment??????

Capquest = Littlewoods cc £1600 repayments of £5 pm since 2006/7. Fairly certain there was PPI on this and charges. - CCA them

Right,

first off if anyone doesn't have anything constructive to say, don't say it!!

Play nice please.

We've clearly been numpties!

Repayments were arranged originally by CAB Debt Adviser in 2006.

This is the first time since 2006/7 I've looked at everything due to ill health.

I'm not disputing we owe any of these debts (back in the days when we both worked) so I do feel we should pay them.

However, after hubby having no work again, and £250 pw down on finances something has to give.

Some of the balances don't look like they've really reduced by anything in 5/6 years.

I am unable to find any of the original paperwork or statements for any of the above.

Mental health not so great right now.

Constructive help and advice is appreciated.

got you cra files yet?

you need to match the above to the files

those that have or poss have PPI/PENALTY charges you'll need to SAR the Original Creditor

certainly catalogues and credit cards are VERY worth an SAR.

dx

and they

Ok, I've used noddle to check my file.

None of mine from above show,

however, the last time I checked my Experian credit report,

some of them still did (around 8 months ago).

Not quite sure what that means.

Never heard of noddle before until I clicked the link.

Got the CCA letters ready to go.

Can't do anything now until we get paid next week.

You suggest that in your opinion we should stop paying APEX/Lloyds....

..any particular reason and how should I deal with them??

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I've used noddle to check my file. None of mine from above show, however, the last time I checked my Experian credit report, some of them still did (around 8 months ago). Not quite sure what that means. Never heard of noddle before until I clicked the link.

Got the CCA letters ready to go. Can't do anything now until we get paid next week.

You suggest that in your opinion we should stop paying APEX/Lloyds......any particular reason and how should I deal with them?? Thanks in advance.

It means Noddle is not up to date again.

You suggest that in your opinion we should stop paying APEX/Lloyds....

..any particular reason and how should I deal with them??

Thanks in advance.

prob the bal is mostly unlawful PENALTY charges

they'll never go near a court for fear of a counter claim.

dx

and they

That's what I was hoping you'd say. I'm fairly certain the account was closed because despite informing Lloyds at the time we were in financial difficulty, they kept just piling charges onto the account. I'm 99% certain we had a £100 authorized OD on that account and the rest was charges for unauthorized OD, writing letters returning DD's etc.

I have used the advise from CAG before. Prior to this I was looking into sending Cap1 an SAR but to be quite honest I'm just not up to it. The site team and the majority of members are fab :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, CCA request's sent off last Wednesday. I will update when/if we hear anything. All sent "signed for" post. Cabot are hassling via phone but we're not answering :)

Just checked on the Post Office website, DM's,Capquest,Lowell & Cabot were all delivered on 30/11/12 PO's as yet uncashed. Lettera for AIC, 1st Credit & CLFinance show as "Progressing through the system.

Still having calls from Cabot between 2 & 5 times a day as late as 9pm. Any suggestions?

Edited by ratbag1970
Additional info

OK. Got a letter from Capquest this morning in response to the CCA. I've copied below:

Balance: £1583.84

We thank you for your recent communication requesting copy documentation on your account.

We have requested the documents on lgc (Littlewoods Finance CO Ltd) and we expect to receive them shortly.

Whilst we wait on lgc (Littlewoods Finance CO Ltd) response, we have selected your account for a pilot scheme that we are currently undertaking that will save you time and money.

The pilot scheme consists of offering you a one off settlement amount to clear this account by 17 Dec 12.

We are offering you a saving of 75% of the balance of your account. This means you pay only £395.96 in a one off payment, and your liability will be cleared.

No catch, the scheme is to reduce administration time and obviously the cost involved.

Your account is currently registered as a default against your credit file, however should you take up this exceptional offer we will immediately take action to inform the credit reference agencies that you have "short settled" your account and to amend your file immediately.

If you do not wish to take up this offer, and do not make a suitable payment plan once you have received the requested documentation, your account will be fast tracked into litigation.

We trust you will consider the benefits of this offer and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.

To accept this offer please contact us on blah blah quoting reference blah blah.

Your sincerely,

Blah blah, collection manager.

My intention is to wait until the 12+2 working days then send an account in dispute letter, am I going down the right lines? Thanks :-)

How old is the littlewoods account and when was the last payment made?

The Littlewoods account dates back to around 2002-2003 I think, we made the last payment of £5 in September. Been paying Capquest since around 2006/7 although I think it was with another DCA prior to capquest.

Edited by ratbag1970
Additional info

Yes let the 12+2 days elapse they are going nowhere on a debt this old!

All the debts I listed above are roughly the same age, going into default in 2006/7 when we both lost our jobs.

Hubby has been in and out of temporary work since May this year and we just can't catch up with anything due to things like HB, CTB and Tax Credits being constantly adjusted.

I'm not denying we owe, but I do know that those accounts went into serious default due to charges, late payment fees and admin charges for letters.

Those are what I object to paying.

If a default sum is made up of charges without which the account would not have defaulted then no deault should be placed, from what you say these are due to be removed soon it seems.

OK. Got a letter from Capquest this morning in response to the CCA. I've copied below:

We thank you for your recent communication requesting copy documentation on your account.

We have requested the documents on lgc (Littlewoods Finance CO Ltd) and we expect to receive them shortly.

Whilst we wait on lgc (Littlewoods Finance CO Ltd) response, we have selected your account for a pilot scheme that we are currently undertaking that will save you time and money.

The pilot scheme consists of offering you a one off settlement amount to clear this account by 17 Dec 12.

We are offering you a saving of 75% of the balance of your account. This means you pay only £395.96 in a one off payment, and your liability will be cleared.

No catch, the scheme is to reduce administration time and obviously the cost involved.

Your account is currently registered as a default against your credit file, however should you take up this exceptional offer we will immediately take action to inform the credit reference agencies that you have "short settled" your account and to amend your file immediately.

If you do not wish to take up this offer, and do not make a suitable payment plan once you have received the requested documentation, your account will be fast tracked into litigation.

We trust you will consider the benefits of this offer and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.

To accept this offer please contact us on blah blah quoting reference blah blah.

Your sincerely,

My intention is to wait until the 12+2 working days then send an account in dispute letter, am I going down the right lines? Thanks :-)

well you can totally ignore this debt then

they are offering a discount.

dx

and they

If a default sum is made up of charges without which the account would not have defaulted then no deault should be placed, from what you say these are due to be removed soon it seems.

That would pretty much apply to all the accounts!!!

For example loyds tsb:

being overdrawn was created by letter charges (which I believe at the time were £25 each,)

unauthorised overdraft charges, returned DD charges which were £38 a time!!

all this amassed to a huge £900 at the at the time,

I did manage to get them to remove some of the charges at the time.

But that's what most of them were.

The bank piling charges on my account, then charging for unauthorized overdrafts

then charging me for writing a letter to tell me I had an unauthorized overdraft..........

.......start the cycle again the next month!!!

Same with Cap1.

Payment late one month so charge for that next month,

admin fee, default charge, interest & PPI etc.

They refused to negotiate on the phone or by letter and when we went to the CAB Debt advisor

they handed it straight over to a DCA.

Edited by ratbag1970
Additional info

Update:

Had a letter through this morning from Lowell (relating to a Cap1 CC).

Even though according to the PO site telling me they have received the letter we sent on the 30/11/12,

they've written saying how sorry they are they haven't heard from us regarding the account (quite clearly rubbish)

and how they are going to hand over to Hamptons Legal.

Again, do I ignore until the 12+2 has passed? (takes us to Christmas eve)

or do I send them a letter of some description? Thanks :-)

Your sincerely,

Pilot scheme, sounds familiar from years ago?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: