style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2514 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

i got caught shoplifting today on cctv.

I feel really bad about it and have just spent hours crying.

i took a couple of salads and a drink,

pretty pathetic of me but i had my son who was being so difficult and the till point lines were so long.

While i was in the back room a policeman came in and showed me his ID a

nd told me i was wasting their time and left.

The security handled the rest.

I only showed them my credit card.

When they send me the Retail Loss Prevention letter

can i deny it was me if i reported my credit card stolen?

I know it's low, but the thought that my name is down as a theft is killing me.

rlp are not the law

if you wish you COULD just ignore them.

or send one letter denying you owe anything

you're are under NO LEGAL obligation to pay them ANYTHING.

'

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

I really appreciate your reply. There seems to be such mixed reviews about RLP and I desperately want to make the right decision. It was a leading department store and they have cctv, i am nervous they'll fight me till the end on principle.

RLP dont do court anymore since oxford!!!:lol:

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

It seems to me that to compound theft by committing fraud is much more likely to lead to problems. CAG doesn't condone any criminal activity.

The police are the appropriate authority for dealing with shop theft. They attended and decided to take no further action. There is no place for a commercial company such as RLP to act as a parallel justice system.

When (if) you get a letter from RLP, send the one-line denial of liability letter. There is always a chance that a retailer will bring a court claim, but it's remote.

dx

What happened in Oxford?

It seems to me that to compound theft by committing fraud is much more likely to lead to problems. CAG doesn't condone any criminal activity.

The police are the appropriate authority for dealing with shop theft. They attended and decided to take no further action. There is no place for a commercial company such as RLP to act as a parallel justice system.

When (if) you get a letter from RLP, send the one-line denial of liability letter. There is always a chance that a retailer will bring a court claim, but it's remote.

Thank you for your advice.

What happened in Oxford?

It was the only properly contested case involving an RLP retailer. The retailer lost.

Would it be worth making the 2[?] threads on the Oxford case a sticky? It's often referred to and newbies might find it useful to read.

Illegitimi non carborundum

i got caught shoplifting today on cctv.

I feel really bad about it and have just spent hours crying.

i took a couple of salads and a drink,

pretty pathetic of me but i had my son who was being so difficult and the till point lines were so long.

While i was in the back room a policeman came in and showed me his ID a

nd told me i was wasting their time and left.

The security handled the rest.

I only showed them my credit card.

When they send me the Retail Loss Prevention letter

can i deny it was me if i reported my credit card stolen?

I know it's low, but the thought that my name is down as a theft is killing me.

I'll probably get into loads of trouble for this, however, can i be so bold as to suggest it is not the shoplifting you feel bad about, it is the fact that you were caught. If they didn't spot you, I would again suggest, that you would be feeling pretty good about it, a couple of free salads and a drink.

To be constructive now. I would suggest ignoring anything from any company representing RLP. Don't compound the problem by trying to hide your identity by lying to the Credit Card company.

Hammy

40 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

In a nutshell , the oxford case was about 2 convicted shoplifters being pursued by RLP that went to court. It was basically thrown out .

I received a letter today from the department stores solicitors asking for the money, does this mean I should pay because they are solicitors?

dx

i got a letter today from a solicitor representing the department store, they haven't called it a RLP but it's for £85. Do i have to pay it becaue it's from a solicitor?

Thanks in advance

It's titled with the company name and underneath it it says SOLICITORS, don't want to say company name on here, sorry.

Please post up the letter minus any personal identifiers

Use this method by dx100uk

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture[jpg] file

don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

'

BUT......

ENSURE: remove all pers info inc. barcodes etc using paint program

but leave all figures and dates. {DO NOT USE A BIRO OR PEN]

convert existing PC files to PDF [office has an installable print to PDF option]

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites [http://docupub.com/pdfconvert/]

it would be better to upload a multipage pdf if

you have many images too rather than many single pdfs

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

or use word and save as pdf

try and logically name your file so people know what it is.

i'e Default notice dd-mm-yyyy

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are up for a good read, this report contains some excellent information and will let you know what you are in for (effectively nothing).

Uncivil recovery

Major retailers’ use of threatened civil recovery against those accused of shoplifting or employee theft

An excellent piece of work by the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

I think after reading that CAB report i would write back and say see you in court and no further correspondence will be entered into if i ever got into that position, that is of course after refusing to re enter the store and refusing to sign anything or give any details.

Why not pay up and put it behind you. Doesn't seem like there's to be any criminal sanctions and at least you could move on. Forking out £85 for a couple of salads might make you think twice in future...

Prolix, RLP has as much right to ask that money from the OP as i would. Somewhere between 0 and Zero

Prolix, the point is that the criminal justice system is the only way in which shoplifting should be dealt with, not a commercial organisation whose only interest is money.

I thought the OP said that the letter was from the trader's solicitor. Therefore they do have a right to be re-imbursed for the costs involved in detecting crime and dealing with it subsequently. Or did I mis-understand? I agree with the points made about RLP

Yes it appears that on 23/11/2012 was posted about a letter that was received from soliciters. DX100 asked for a sanatised version of the letter. It appears the OP hasnt yet posted a copy (maybe im wrong there.) I understand why a copy of the letter was requested because there are a few solicitors that, on payment, allow their letterheads to be used by other companies.

There are points brought up in the oxford case, linked to on this thread already, that are in my opinion valid here. You cant make up a figure and expect that to be paid,it has to be actual loss. As has been said in other threads, shops already have an element in their pricing structure that covers costs in relation to security ('overheads') and 'staff' dealing with their normal duties dont constitute a loss. Essentially security is paid for by consumers and they are doing the job they are employed for.