Ex solicitor demanding counsel fees else legal proceedings - advice please

Clynite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In brief:

Case lost on no win no fee basis. Concluded Aug 2011.

May 2012, Sol requests counsel`s fees.

Sol is aware that, as a result of a court imposed installment order, i am paying over and above my I/E assessment. I explain that there is no disposable income available.

I request that the fees be put on hold or written off if posssible. Failing that, I can only offer a £1 a week.

I have repeatedly requested counsel`s attendance notes, as i was unhappy with representation. I was repeatedly informed that counsel would not supply them!

Two barristers were involved. One made two lenghty court appearances (a), the other (b) a brief appearance at the county court. Yet (a) bill is nearly half that of (b).

I had heard nothing until yesterday. I received a letter from sol dated 15/11/12 requesting i set up a direct debit for payment and agree to a Charge Order on my home. I have 14 days to reply, else legal proceedings will ensue.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks.

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Hi Clynite

I assume there was no Order made for their costs or referred to in part of the judgment?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy

Hope i haven`t confused the issue. When I lost the case, I had to pay the claimants costs and outstanding monies. That is what the current court order/installment order is for.

Post case, my sol is chasing me for counsel fees, that he employed ie the use of two barristers to fight the case.

He took the case on a no win no fee basis. but, I am responsible for any fees incurred by Counsel (Barristers).

It is these fees that he is chasing. Therefore, no mention of my "own" fees on previous court order.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

clynite

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Hi Andy

Hope i haven`t confused the issue. When I lost the case, I had to pay the claimants costs and outstanding monies. That is what the current court order/installment order is for.

Post case, my sol is chasing me for counsel fees, that he employed ie the use of two barristers to fight the case. He took the case on a no win no fee basis. but, I am responsible for any fees incurred by Counsel (Barristers). It is these fees that he is chasing. Therefore, no mention of my "own" fees on previous court order.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

clynite

Surely they are payable, you entered into agreement with your solicitor to pay counsel fees and now he wants paying, why do you think you dont owe them ?

Andy

Hi Andy

I agree with you. I do owe them. But feel it a little over the top that the sol has stated , that the payments will only be acceptable if i agree to a charge on my property. If my circumstances improve etc I will endeavour to improve on the current offer.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?210585-Claim-struck-out-can-creditor-make-new-claim-Well-they-have-issued-new-claim.

This is the original thread - it is not appropriate to merge them.. however, reading the thread will give people and idea of why Clynite is now unhappy.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have just read the whole linked thread and there seems some detail missing. It went from legal rep to two barristers. Are the firm still practising? Anyway it seems harsh that they want you to agree a charge on your house. Surely an arrangement is enough.

Hi westfield

thanks for your effort ( reading the original thread ), the firm still pracising, i assume. I agree with your comments. Thats why i posted this new thread. I was hoping for some advice, but will move on regardless.

thanks for looking in

Clynite.

The "fees" what documentation have they provided ...invoices ? Do you know if they have requested an order for Detailed Assessment.That is the normal channel and costs should be assessed when a Solicitor requests costs from a client.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Clynite.

The "fees" what documentation have they provided ...invoices ? Do you know if they have requested an order for Detailed Assessment.That is the normal channel and costs should be assessed when a Solicitor requests costs from a client.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

The only documentation I received was, two invoice type docs (both barristers operate from same practice) Stating : professional fees of etc. on headed paper.

Heres the rub: barrister (a) spent less than a hour at local county court and has charged £3231, with no explanation of services.

barrister (b) itemised as : brief at cc - appeal - 3hrs and hearing 11.30 -3.30 plus 20 mins travel - charged £1800

This seems a large discrepancy. Further, I have repeatedly requested each barristers report, to ascertain exactly what they did and why. Sol has yet to provide these reports, stating that he has requested them, but barristers refuse to comply., and that theres nothing he can do!

Hope that makes sense.

clynite

Example

County court hearing, listed to last up to half-a-day*

Fee depends on the complexity of the matter, the amount of pre-reading involved and the seniority of counsel. A conference prior to the day of the hearing will incur an additional charge.

£750 to £2,000

Clynite what Track was you case allocated to?

Andy

Do you know what Grade the Barristers in question were Clynite..it should be itemised on your bill along with VAT?