hightail

Registered keeper different from owner

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2521 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I want to buy a car for my daughter's partner to keep and use and make it clear that I retain ownership. They live elsewhere so he needs to be the registered keeper and the insurance be in his name. I know 'the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner' but how do I go about making the distinction clear?

Just make sure that where ever you buy it from puts you down on the invoice as the buyer but completes the V5 in the name of whoever is going to be the keeper. You retain the invoice (which is your title to the car). However the tricky bit maybe when he comes to insure it.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

However the tricky bit maybe when he comes to insure it.

I thought insurers usually asked if the (to be) insured is the registered keeper. I've never been asked if I was the owner of my vehicle and there's no official record anywhere about owners - as opposed to registered keepers who are on record at the DVLA.

The insurers will be interested in why the owner of the car and the RK are 2 different people. They will want to make sure that there is no case of 'fronting' taking place. It will be also be of interest to them to where the car will 'live' which may or not be at the same address as the RK. They will not be concerned that the car will be kept at a different location to the address which is on the V5 providing that the address is that of the RK or related to the RK. It will only be a tad complicated to your daughter's partner to explain to his insurer's why/how the car does not actually belong to him. They will probably want to know your details because you have a financial interest in the car so any claim payment would be paid to you being the actual legal owner.

Please Note

Please Note