• Tweets

• Farooq v evri is the judgement you want in.   Do you have a copy of do you want me to upload it again here?
    • I have added the correct format for the court. Country Court ..... as it was on the letter today, other letter had the justice.... . That is on the unredacted copy sent to admins email.   Which Evri judgement, could you give me a steer? Wadhwa one?   It's not in dispute, bar that paragraph you picked up. I was looking at that one, and I do agree it's pointless. Thank you for your help.
    • Firstly, and sorry for not asking earlier but have you submitted your DQ yet?
    • As suggested by JK2054 I'll email Evri to their small claims email address, attaching the label and collection receipt and quoting the Money Claims ref number. Is there anything else in addition to sending the email I should do at this stage? Rgds, J
    • Hi, I'd change justice centre to county court. I also wouldn't be including a telegraph article in the bundle. It doens't prove anything law and you don't have distribution rights on it. I also wouldn't personally break down the exhibits on the index page, normally people have a seperate page for this right before the exhibits. The main index page normally just says Exhibits to WX of [Your Name] or at least that's the format I use/see people here use, although really it makes minimal difference.   I also see that despite referencing several judgements you haven't included the EVRi one   paragraph 46 really needs to go imo it has nothing to do with anything. Your in court to apply the law to your case, not to tell the judge about a newspaper that means nothing to your claim.   I also see you've adopted the issues in dispute/not in dispute, which is also known as a scott schedule. if you are taking this approach, for things not in dispute I would say this needs to be things that are agreed between parties, not things like "There is no dispute that I am happy to supply all this evidence which is included in the court bundle." I would say that issues in dispute is to focus on the aspects of the claim that are in dispute, such as whether liability is limited by insurance or not, so I'd be changing that accordingly.   BF should be along shortly to advise on things.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

stigma puts poor people off claiming essential benefits

estellyn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/nov/20/scrounger-stigma-poor-people-benefits

I have to say I agree about the stigma. I have a blue badge form and am entitled due to HRM, but I haven't completed the form because I'd be scared of using the blue badge due to potential abuse. Instead I pay extra for taxis when I know I won't be able to get parked close to where I'm going - or just stay home.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

This has always been so, especially in older people.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It's not just stigma, it's fear of them messing up & losing trust in them at times too. I didn't claim housing benefit for over a year when I was entitled to it, because of their incompitence before. Some of us would rather struggle & eat beans on toast than risk having to pay back money when they make mistakes.

I think there are some who think that if they claim a benefit they have an inaquedacy and have failed in some way. Others may feel by claiming a benefit they have been deafeted by their condition.

Yes despite being a benefit adviser, I refused to claim DLA for quite a few years because it would have meant accepting that I was disabled and I didn't want to.

I have no choice but to claim, I dont have a partner or anyone else who gives me any income.

I feel there is the following misleading things in the media today.

1 - That benefits are spent on booze and fags and as such are not needed, the claimant uses to supplement other income or doesnt pay their bills. This seems to be a particular assumption noone lives alone.

2 - IB had no PCA, apparently according to ministers a patient's GP simply could pass the claimant onto long term benefit. Apparently WCA is a whole new concept as was previously no vetting.

3 - People are on unemployment benefits because they simply dont try hard enough. So basically noone is too ill to work, there is not less jobs than unemployed etc. its all in the mind.

4 - We get rid of people on unemployment benefits and everything is fixed, this ignores that most of the social security budget goes to pensioners and people in work. 93% of housing benefit claimants are in work, the vast majority of child benefit claimants are in work, some with quite high salaries as well.

The question is tho, does this report have any power, or is it just a one day news story then forgotten about.

3 - People are on unemployment benefits because they simply dont try hard enough. So basically noone is too ill to work, there is not less jobs than unemployed etc. its all in the mind.

My mum actually said this. The last time she looked for a job (whilst employed) was over 2 years ago.

I have no choice but to claim, I dont have a partner or anyone else who gives me any income.

I feel there is the following misleading things in the media today.

1 - That benefits are spent on booze and fags and as such are not needed, the claimant uses to supplement other income or doesnt pay their bills. This seems to be a particular assumption noone lives alone.

2 - IB had no PCA, apparently according to ministers a patient's GP simply could pass the claimant onto long term benefit. Apparently WCA is a whole new concept as was previously no vetting.

4 - We get rid of people on unemployment benefits and everything is fixed, this ignores that most of the social security budget goes to pensioners and people in work. 93% of housing benefit claimants are in work, the vast majority of child benefit claimants are in work, some with quite high salaries as well.

The question is tho, does this report have any power, or is it just a one day news story then forgotten about.

Couple of people I know have never been unemployed until they were made redundant & they are DEFINITELY applying for jobs left right n center & not even hearing a no back from most of them, the rest are letting them know it's a no. One was told she was over qualified, she would 'get bored' seriously.

If they started inviting people claiming tax credits fraudulantly to IUC's & stopped giving them interest free loans (that's all it is basically when they get found out claiming more than they should) then there may be more incentive for people not to claim what they aren't supposed to, there will be more money in the coffers, & we might actually get somewhere instead of having to rob disabled peoples benefits off them, which all goes towards being bad for the economy & so on.

Couple of people I know have never been unemployed until they were made redundant & they are DEFINITELY applying for jobs left right n center & not even hearing a no back from most of them, the rest are letting them know it's a no. One was told she was over qualified, she would 'get bored' seriously.

If they started inviting people claiming tax credits fraudulantly to IUC's & stopped giving them interest free loans (that's all it is basically when they get found out claiming more than they should) then there may be more incentive for people not to claim what they aren't supposed to, there will be more money in the coffers, & we might actually get somewhere instead of having to rob disabled peoples benefits off them, which all goes towards being bad for the economy & so on.

Before I became ill, my boss advertised for two part time admin assistants, and got a couple of hundred applications - based on those odds it is virtually impossible to get a job - the best applicants are often still employed elsewhere, they get the job, then their job is advertised, another employed person gets that job and then their job is advertised and so on. Once unemployed it is much harder to get back into work, and the longer out of the job market the harder it is, as you're always competing with people with the same or more experience and more recent work history and references. A lot of jobs also go in house, but due to employment laws have to be externally advertised - so there was never any chance of getting the job anyway.

Actually I have to disagree. When I was claiming JSA I felt a bit odd and shy about me being on the dole, but when I started working for minimum wage I was ridiculed and stigmatized by my flatmates for "working for nothing". I got the impression that being working class is worse than being underclass. All these people who have issues with the unemployed are workers on minimum wage that are to some extent envious.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Not sure where the best place to post this comment is. Never heard of Owen Jones before but full marks to him for his display at the end of tonight's Question Time where he tried to publicise the plight of the disabled on benefits. Ian Duncan Smith retorted, angrily, that he is proud of what he is doing to the benefits system! Has there ever been a more odious man in British politics than IDS?

Edited by RaeUK

There is most definatly a stigma attached to all benefits nowadays. A large amount of society has a perception that anyone disabled or not that claims benefits is a scrounger, or lazy, or idle and many other more colourfull descriptors.

I have a blue badge and have qualified through HRM and previously prior to DLA by means of a walking assessment and examination. However because I am only 46 when I am able to find a disabled bay, I get filthy looks and people even coming over to the car to see if I am going to display a valid badge, not to mention having suffered abuse from non disabled people who assume because you aren't over 70 you shouldn't have one. The laughable part is most of the time you can't ever get parked in a disabled bay for the non disabled people parking there.

The irony of the situation as I see it though, is all these people who like to shout their opinions about scrounging benefit claimants, all need to take a look in the mirror. Every single person in this country is the recipient of state benefits. Working Tax Credits, Child Benefit, hospital treatment, doctors appointments, reduced dental care costs, reduced prescription costs, education the list goes on. All these things including the state pension and pension credit are a form of or entirely state benefits. Yes people rightly point out that they have "paid in" through NI all their working lives, however in the vast majority, if not every case, you get out more than you ever pay in.

Then there is the continued stigma being attached to Free School Meals, which is now affecting children directly because their parents do not want to apply because they fear being branded a scrounger. These kids end up suffering directly, not to mention the fact that FSM children are now officially classed as being a "vulnerable" group, a group that fail to achieve. These things are happening every day in schools up and down the country. Added to this a lot of schools will provide remission from costs of trips etc, for children entitled to FSM but the parents have to write a letter demeaning themselves and asking for it because they can't afford the cost out of their benefits. Is this correct in todays society? After all the schools know which children are entitled to FSM. The answer is they receive the Pupil Premium for every child that has had a FSM in the lst 6 years but they choose to make parents have to beg, which in reality many choose not to do. So the child suffers or the parent pays and the school in effect gets the money twice.

Society nowadays is completely set up to discriminate against people who for whatever reason need to claim welfare benefits of some description and they are stigmatising it from schools upwards.

Rant over and lots of things for "discussion", maybe I need to get my tin hat out before the barrage starts:wink::madgrin:

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

Not sure where the best place to post this comment is. Never heard of Own Jones before but fall marks to him for his display at the end of tonight's Question Time where he tried to publicise the plight of the disabled on benefits. Ian Duncan Smith retorted, angrily, that he is proud of what he is doing to the benefits system! Has there ever been a more odious man in British politics than IDS?

Despite some of the things he has overseen, I always thought that deep down there was a genuine guy in there somewhere inside IDS......... Right up until I saw and heard that myself Rae and he deserves to be pilloried from here to Baghdad and back again!

Despite some of the things he has overseen, I always thought that deep down there was a genuine guy in there somewhere inside IDS ...

Me too. I really did think he was going to be a lot different to how he's turned out.

Despite some of the things he has overseen, I always thought that deep down there was a genuine guy in there somewhere inside IDS......... Right up until I saw and heard that myself Rae and he deserves to be pilloried from here to Baghdad and back again!

After what you and Rae has said, I'm going to go look if question time is on the iplayer.

He was reminded of the plight of the chap that ATOS found fit for work and he died the next day, he had previously had a stroke, was paralysed and blind.

IDS shouted at this Owen bloke words along the lline of;

"I didn't hear you screaming when the last lot left 2.5 million people trappped on welfare without hope. Well I am changing that and we are making those 2.5 million get back into work."

He was very animated to say the least. I was hoping for more ATOS related debate myself but I think they all got thrown out before it went live on air.

and no mention of his UC baby either!

Not sure where the best place to post this comment is. Never heard of Owen Jones before but full marks to him for his display at the end of tonight's Question Time where he tried to publicise the plight of the disabled on benefits. Ian Duncan Smith retorted, angrily, that he is proud of what he is doing to the benefits system! Has there ever been a more odious man in British politics than IDS?

Pity his initials don't read IBS. There is a lot of verbal diarrhoea comes from this individual :!:

Pity his initials don't read IBS. There is a lot of verbal diarrhoea comes from this individual :!:

IBS = "Ineffective Brain Syndrome", right?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Back when I contacted IDS at the start of this year, he didnt even reply to me. His secretary even rang me up to say she had personally passed my message onto him and asked if he had replied. So she seemed nice enough but not IDS.

IAN DUNCAN SMITH you are proud of what you are doing:?::?::?::?:Owen Jones did not scream about the 2 million plus parked on benefits for 10 years:?::?::?::?: I do take it you are including the 130,000+ of those who had in you departments words 'Diarrhea' and other conditions that you diminished their descriptions, when in fact the majority were suffering life debilitating conditions such as Bowel Cancer etc...... IMHO you personally are one of the worst examples of a human being I have ever known, you have no compassion at all, you roll your eyes and shake your head whenever benefits are raised!!!!!!! Why were you not sat there at the 2 HoC committee meetings held this week about the service given by yourselves and ATOS and it effectiveness on claimants, maybe you didn't want to be seen to do the squirming that your representatives did when they did not have the figures and statistics the committees were asking for.

BBC not very good planning of the questions there really....... not enough time to cover that subject at all:mad2:

Owen Jones I applaud you and thank you for your truthful and passionate input.:whoo:

Lady in the back shouting.... I applaud you as well, we all need to shout or this situation will just keep getting swept under the carpet...:clap2:

OK rant over