• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kwik fit - dangerous work

lulu82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,I had my brake pads and discs replaced in ther Surbiton branch the total cost of which came to £490.55. I yesterday had to take my car into my local garage due to it suddenly making an awful sound as I came of the motorway. i took it to my local garage and the mechanic informed that one of the calliper bolts had completely come off and the others were all loose and needed tightening. He then asked who had previous done the work on the brakes as they had not properly tightened any of the bolts. He also informed me that I was incredibly lucky that I had heard the bolt come off and that it had happened close to home as it could have caused a serious problem with my car and even caused a crash. I am furious with them, i put my trust in them to keep me safe and after reading a lot on here abot them making up faults wouldn't be entirely surprised t find the work they'd already done was not needed. I had two kids in the car and was lucky but complaining to them and won't let it go.

Ask the garage that found the fault to write a report for you - £25 in beer tokens should get you something you can use in court.

Use this to support your complaint to Kwik Fit and take it straight to head office. Don't bother with the branch - they will just fob you off (or offer a few beer tokens).

This is such a serious breach of good practice that you need to get it properly sorted - for the safety of others that use that branch as much as anything else.

Keep us posted.

thanks, the garage said they'd do a report for me and sent the complaint via their website which I assume is their head office, not going to let it lie, so will see what, if any, response I get.

OK - chase the garage for the report (nicely). Save a copy for yourself and send a copy to Kwik Fit when you get it.

Make sure the garage do the report - like I said earlier - you may need to pay for it.

Are you able to post a copy of what you sent to Kwik Fit?

Below is a copy of what i emailed over to them:I would like to make a complaint regarding your Surbiton branch. In November 2011 and February 2012 I had my brake pads and discs replaced in your Surbiton branch the total cost of which came to £490.55. I yesterday had to take my car into my local garage due to it suddenly making an awful sound as I came of the motorway. i took it to my local garage and the mechanic informed that one of the calliper bolts had completely come off and the others were all loose and needed tightening. He then asked who had previous done the work on the brakes as they had not properly tightened any of the bolts. He also informed me that I was incredibly lucky that I had heard the bolt come off and that it had happened close to home as it could have caused a serious problem with my car and even caused a crash.I look forward to reply as to what is going to be done regarding this incident.

Kwik fit will probably come back to you with 'it was 12 months ago and anything could have caused it and its upto you to prove otherwise'.

Do you know if they used new bolts or reused the old ones with some thread locker.?

What is it that you want them to do to put things right? Do you have any out of pocket expenses ie the new garage bill etc?

The new garage is pretty sure that it was faulty work from having the pads replaced, as far as I know they used the old bolts. Had a new garage bill which was only 50 but want them to take responsibility as so dangerous and shoddy workmanship. Also want some money back just to teach them a lesson!

I understand your annoyed with them for shoddy work.

I've had poor service myself with them.

Just a thought , when was your mot? And was this not marked as an advisory. Although I don't think caliper bolts are part of the mot I would have assumed they might of noticedand shouted up.

Nagasis - caliper bolts do not just come loose. It matters not if they used new bolts, old bolts or thread lock (I hope not) - if they had been tightened correctly they would not have come loose.

If Kwik Fit come back with "it was 12 months ago" then they are fobbing Lulu off.

Lulu - did you get the report? And forward it to Kwik Fit in support of your complaint?

I agree caliper bolts don't come loose if tightened or torqued but we both know kwik fit will say and do anything to worm their way out of responsibility.

However, even if they did own up, they wouldn't pay anymore than the out of pocket expenses as a gesture of goodwill. What they will never do is admit their work was dangerous.

Nagasis - caliper bolts do not just come loose. It matters not if they used new bolts, old bolts or thread lock (I hope not) - if they had been tightened correctly they would not have come loose.

If Kwik Fit come back with "it was 12 months ago" then they are fobbing Lulu off.

Lulu - did you get the report? And forward it to Kwik Fit in support of your complaint?

Rubbish and very dangerous talk.

Caliper bolts are usually tightened to yield and must be changed everytime they are loosened as you cannot get the required clamp force with re-use. It is not acceptable to use lubricant or thread lock unless specified and that will be with a new bolt. Where this is required it is usually supplied in the pad kit.

If you are going to give advice which affects safety related items please be sure you are on firm ground before doing so

My MOT was in October and when i mentioned about the bolts, the garage said that they don't check that they're tightened properly, just that they are present, which they were all at that point.Lulu - did you get the report? And forward it to Kwik Fit in support of your complaint? - The garage is still compiling it for me but will send to Kwik fit as soon as i receive it.

Rubbish and very dangerous talk.

Caliper bolts are usually tightened to yield and must be changed everytime they are loosened as you cannot get the required clamp force with re-use. It is not acceptable to use lubricant or thread lock unless specified and that will be with a new bolt. Where this is required it is usually supplied in the pad kit.

If you are going to give advice which affects safety related items please be sure you are on firm ground before doing so

Steady on - I wasn't suggesting people do those things in any way. Only if that sort of abuse had occurred they probably still wouldn't have come loose.

As far as I am aware, the only way the OP could have had loose bolts was for them to have been left like that from the last person that should have done them up.

Clearly - anybody doing caliper bolts up should consult the manual. Or - in Kwik Fit's case - have had the required training and oversight.

It's a case of the" matters not" because it does matter where a bolt has gone into yield. You might achieve the same torque as specified but you will not achieve the required clamp force and the two are very different. It's the same as people who swear by using copper slip on wheel studs and bolts. From an engineering perspective it is a big no no.

New bolts and nuts everytime on brakes and clean surfaces for wheel bolts and nuts. If you ever see this happening then go back and tell them to do the job properly. As Bandit points out it's a case of training but is rife throughout the industry.

The Operations manager for London rang me today, and said that they take full responsibility for the issue although it is easy for other garages to blame the last person to work on the car (strange half appology) but he is refunding me the cost of the repair, i mentioned that my life time guarentee on the brakes is now useless and he told me if i ever need work done on the car that i should phone him and he will personally book it in and i will receive royal treatment. An offer that is never going to be taken up on but he was very nice and he is covering the expense of repair.

to be honest i wouldn't let them touch my car again, if a simple thing like putting the bolts on was to much trouble to do proprly but i am happy with the refund and the apology and the guy i spoke to was very helpful and polite.