Tigi

Help Needed - Flexible Working

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2520 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In October my partner requested under the flexbile working act to work from work till 2pm and then 2pm till 5.30 from home via Laptop, this is due to being a carer for a disabled son and needing to be around for the school run which our disabled son gets distressed about and needs to be carried everywhere and is over 15kg, we have 3 children one in a pushchair. Anyway this was denied even though they knew all the reasons but never put in writing despite chasing Directors, Managers and HR. The reasons they gave where the team was too small, he had to be based at work and that they were concerned other members of the team would ask other people rather than contact him at home. He has decided that there is no other option but to leave and has been offered another job who will allow flexible working so he has handed his notice in and given them a week I know that he should be giving more than this but they said they fully understood his reasons for leaving and had a feeling that he would. Since him handing in his notice they have asked if there is anything they can do to keep him there, and offered paying for taxis everywhere for me and the children, however this doesnt help as its when he is out of the car its the issue plus isnt practical getting the car seats out the taxis 6 times a day with 3 car seats in tow, so he kindly turned that offer down, they then offered him part time working 4 hours a day but this still wont fit due to the appointments with OT that our son has so would actually put him on a 15 hour week they also only wanted this on a temp basis and that if it didnt fit the company he would have to go back to his normal hours, again this is worrying as they could change their mind any time. Also surely before he handed his notice in this wasnt an option according to the company so why have they changed their mind. He has turned this down, now they are asking for another week from him notice but he cant do this. Any advice, should he be saying constructive dismissal??

Dont think that you can say its constructive dismissal, it seems that they are trying to help but the needs of the business do come into it, shame that he has to leave but he has got another job so go on good terms. The flexible working is only a request not a right it is up to the company if they can accomodate it within the needs of the company.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Yep fully understand that but how comes before he was due to leave it was a no to being able to be part time or flexible but now he is leaving they have offered him that, either there is a business need there or there isnt doesnt make much sense, but yeah agree its now their loss as he has got another job which fits perfectly with the hours he needs. :-)

I cant say why I can only say that some things concentrate the mind and the company may have realised too late what they are losing.however keep it friendly because you never know what will happen in the future. Good luck with his new job

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.