Red Light Help Required.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. I'm Jason and I have an issue with a letter I got today stating I ran a red light.

They state they have photographic evidence from an approved device, however I really don't remember doing that at all.

It states that the light had been red for 0.9 seconds.

They wish for me to fill out this form within 28 days informing them who the driver was to issue proceedings against me.

However on the reverse of the paper they answer some questions for you and under the part that says "I would like to see photographic evidence held against me" the police answer is "the evidence will only be produced during a court hearing" Surely I am entitled to see if they do have evidence of this before it gets that far?

From when my son was involved in something similar, it is true that the police are not obliged to supply the evidence before you go to court however if you phone them and suggest that you can't remember who was driving at the time (it helps if there is genuinely more than one person who uses the vehicle) they may send the photos to see if they help.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

From when my son was involved in something similar, it is true that the police are not obliged to supply the evidence before you go to court however if you phone them and suggest that you can't remember who was driving at the time (it helps if there is genuinely more than one person who uses the vehicle) they may send the photos to see if they help.

Ok thank you. Also is there a way I can just pay the fine right now and accept the 3 points on my licence?, at the moment I have the letter asking for driver details and then they will inform me of either prosecution or a fine but if I offered now to pay a fine and accept the penalty points will they accept? or do I have to send that off and wait for their outcome?

thank you.

Most forces will send out the offer of a fixed penalty after they after who was driving the car. For 0.9 seconds ito the red you'll almost certainly be offered a fixed penalty (3 points and £60) unless it's one of the forces which offers a red light awareness course (few quid more and half a day of your time, but no points) instead. If you'd been a long way into the red light, it's possible that they'd go straight to a summons instead, where it would still only be 3 points, but probably a bigger fine.

No, you don't have any right to see their evidence at this stage - at the moment you haven't actually been accused of anything, you've just been asked who was diving your car. You can ask to see the photos and they may or may not provide them, but you can't demand them unless you go to court.

Whatever you do don't miss the deadline for naming the driver - that's a more serious offence than running a red light, and could get you 6 points and a fine of a good few hundred pounds.

Most forces will send out the offer of a fixed penalty after they after who was driving the car. For 0.9 seconds ito the red you'll almost certainly be offered a fixed penalty (3 points and £60) unless it's one of the forces which offers a red light awareness course (few quid more and half a day of your time, but no points) instead. If you'd been a long way into the red light, it's possible that they'd go straight to a summons instead, where it would still only be 3 points, but probably a bigger fine.

No, you don't have any right to see their evidence at this stage - at the moment you haven't actually been accused of anything, you've just been asked who was diving your car. You can ask to see the photos and they may or may not provide them, but you can't demand them unless you go to court.

Whatever you do don't miss the deadline for naming the driver - that's a more serious offence than running a red light, and could get you 6 points and a fine of a good few hundred pounds.

Thank you for your reply, What I'll do then is get that letter sent back to them either today or tomorrow and hopefully it will just be the fine and the points, I have a clean drivers licence and never been through a red before so hopefully that will count in my favour. Thank you guys for your help.

and just a thought - for issues like this maybe a more discreet username would be in order? some kind of friendly, memorable but not too identifying alias that you aren't known by?

(Assuming you haven't already thought of that and this is actually an Alias that just looks like a real name)

and just a thought - for issues like this maybe a more discreet username would be in order? some kind of friendly, memorable but not too identifying alias that you aren't known by?

(Assuming you haven't already thought of that and this is actually an Alias that just looks like a real name)

Hi, Thanks for the advice.

It is indeed my real name, however I tend not to add anything other than that online like my D.O.B, Location etc so if anyone wanted to find me they would have a very long list of Jason Reed's to search through lol.

Thanks again :)

one of that long list taught me to drive and always went on at me to be more prepared at traffic lights regardless of colour - I'm assuming you aren't him :)

I know a name alone isn't much to go on - but if people have you on record regarding something like this it wouldn't take too much for them to sniff around the usual forums on a fishing expedition and put 2+2 together.

It's probably more likely that the private parking folks would be more likely to do it than a council or the police, but anything people can do to not make life easier for people giving them a rough ride has to be a good thing.