Problem with Boss

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4146 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

First post and would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

To give you a bit of background, I started work at a company on the 24th September with one other girl. The office I work in had only one member of staff left after several resignations (all very amiable sounding) , and he was appointed manager of this 'new' office. 2 more members of staff started on the 15th October.We all work in media sales.

When I interviewed for this role I was incredibly excited - I was interviewed by the commercial director, who is not based here, promised autonomy to do my job as I do best, a chance to earn lots of money and really shape how this new office works.

The one thing that is ruining this for all of us is the chap who was appointed manager of this new office. He has had no management training and lacks the common sense / people skills to assume this position naturally.

We are all very experienced in what we do (I'm actually more experienced than him!) but we are not treated as so. The autonomy we were promised is non existent, and he is on our backs 24/7, despite us only being here for 2 months and doing a pretty sterling job in that time.

Everything that comes out of his mouth is negative, nothing we do is ever good enough and morale is incredibly low.

He keeps things to himself, which I believe is to keep power. He wants us to be like robots, doing the job the same way he does it, and is completely unflexible and defensive when we try to counter anything.

He particularly focuses his criticism on one member of the team who has tried to bring this up with him, only to be basically ignored and given the same barking instructions as before.

He is trying to make 4 experienced people work to his rule, his attitude is 'I'm the manager and what I say goes' and frankly it stinks. He is making us all walk on eggshells and our working days are becoming rather unbearable.

I have a meeting with my commercial director tomorrow afternoon (I have somehow ended up as spokesperson!), who I believe will be quite shocked at what is going on here. I would like to get my point across in the most constructive way possible, without coming across like I am whining or b*tching. This guy needs some management training asap, and some coaxing from above to try to work alongside his staff, rather than rule over them.

I have no idea how to do this and am racking my brains as to how I can say this without landing myself in it.

I wish I could go to my manager directly about this but anything that's been raised in the past has been met with defensiveness and veiled threats.

Any thoughts / advice much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to CAG. This sounds tough for you and your colleagues.

I expect the guys will be along later with views for you, but I suspect one of them might be a word of caution about being appointed to speak for the others, which puts your head above the parapet. You could be heading for a grievance and this would look better if it came from everybody.

In the meantime, have you looked at the ACAS website? They also have a helpline which you might find useful, if you're able to ring.

Please bear with us until the guys are able to get here. :)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks Honeybee - I did think that myself but it's sort of natural as I have an excellent relationship with my commercial director. Also I don't want it to be too blatant that we are complaining about him in these early stages, so if it's just me that goes to grab a coffee with him it won't look too suspect.

I really don't want things to escalate, would just rather get this nipped in the bud for the good of the team and the company.

I would suggest great tact and diplomacy, complaing about a managers style after only having been in the job a short while it fraught with danger. I would suggest finding some positive things to say about your manager as the company appointed him to the role and wont want to be seen to have made a mistake, prehaps saying that you love the job but are finding adapting to a different management style is giving you a few challanges and could the commercial director suggest any ways that you could deal with it, thus planting the thought that there are issues but not saying anything against your line manager who the commercial director has probably known for some while. It may just be that the guy who was appointed manager is new to the job and trying to make an impression and that he will settle down in time when he is more confident in the role. I would seriously not speak for or on behalf of the other team members though at this moment in time, keep it friendly and informal for now is my advice, but obviously others may feel differently.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.