New Congestion Charge Consultation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

TfL have launched their newest consultation on the future of the Congestion Charge scheme. Proposals include:

Increasing the penalty charge to £130 (up from £120).

Removing the option to pay for the daily charge in shops and petrol stations.

Creating Ultra Low Emission Discount to replace the current Greener Vehicle Discount.

Closing date for views and completing the questionnaire is 08/02/13.

Link to the consultation is below, also a summary is available at my blog.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/congestioncharging

The congestion charge has been so successful that they are losing money so need to recoup it by other means! It has nothing to do with congestion any more.

If you consider a net income after operating costs of £173 million a loss, then you are correct but you are probably the only person on here that considers that a loss!! :lol:

I dont have time right now to read the full consultation but why are they considering removing the facility to pay the charge at petrol statations and shops !! Surely they should be making it easier to pay instead of more difficult?

I dont have time right now to read the full consultation but why are they considering removing the facility to pay the charge at petrol statations and shops !! Surely they should be making it easier to pay instead of more difficult?

they have made it easier making the shops etc redundant as most people pre register and get it debited upon entry or people pay on the phone

Pre registering a debit card with TfL is all well and good if the motorist visits the charging zone on a frequent basis. This is not at all suitable for those who visit London on rare occasions.

The other problem with registering a card is that if there are insufficient funds in the account on the day that the charge is due, Transport for London CANCEL the register by card facility.

Pre registering a debit card with TfL is all well and good if the motorist visits the charging zone on a frequent basis. This is not at all suitable for those who visit London on rare occasions.

The other problem with registering a card is that if there are insufficient funds in the account on the day that the charge is due, Transport for London CANCEL the register by card facility.

You don't need to register with TfL to pay by card, you can still just go to the website and pay on the day, or the higher rate the day after. That part of the proposal doesn't really bother me too much as I think that method can cause difficulties in itself. You can basically end up with situation where a minimum wage cashier is entering incorrect reg details to TfL, or even giving misleading information about how to pay (wrong day, amount etc...), which can then result in a PCN. I have seen appeals for both issues and it's difficult to appeal because TfL don't accept liability for mistakes caused by a cashier.

The congestion charge has been so successful that they are losing money so need to recoup it by other means! It has nothing to do with congestion any more.

It never was about congestion, it was only about catching commuters from the other end before bringing in the Oyster card.

My daily commute consists of roughly seven miles to work but unfortunately through three zones where there is no direct connection. I have to carry a large musical instrument meaning the bike or sharing a lift weren't viable

I only started using a car in London because the option of train/tube/bus were just as expensive even with the cost of an annual ticket. Next year, unless my insurance goes up dramatically, the car will save me about £400 each year.

Official explanation is that very few people now use it and it costs a lot to administer, so removing it saves a lot of money while causing little inconvenience.

Cynic's explanation is that everyone who doesn't pay the CC ends up paying a £60 penalty, so the more difficult it is to pay the better.

I make no comment on which one I favour. ;)

Official explanation is that very few people now use it and it costs a lot to administer, so removing it saves a lot of money while causing little inconvenience.

Cynic's explanation is that everyone who doesn't pay the CC ends up paying a £60 penalty, so the more difficult it is to pay the better.

I make no comment on which one I favour. ;)

Being realistic how many get a PCN because they cannot find a place to pay? If you knew you had entered and were going to get a PCN if you didn't pay would you really be unable to make a phone call for 2 days?

No what is the link between paying to drive into London and having smart cards for cashless travel?

The requirement for anyone, regardless of how, and how far they commute, to fund TFL bureaucracy regardless of how pollution levels are mismanaged . Keep up !

Oyster cards are not compulsory so how does that statement make any sense?

Oyster cards, but the virtue of a discounted way of travel compared to money, entice preople in to use them.

But they are not just cards, the information within them allows the authority to;

check on your whereabouts almost anywhere in the zones,

track somebody in real time,

identify the routes in certain areas that may not be using public transport efficiently, and the service is then cut to the detriment of a minority that can't do without..

Oh, and the database is sold onto all sorts of other agencies.

Oyster cards, but the virtue of a discounted way of travel compared to money, entice preople in to use them.

But they are not just cards, the information within them allows the authority to;

check on your whereabouts almost anywhere in the zones,

track somebody in real time,

identify the routes in certain areas that may not be using public transport efficiently, and the service is then cut to the detriment of a minority that can't do without..

Oh, and the database is sold onto all sorts of other agencies.

You do not have to register your card so if you do not want to be tracked then you don't register.....simple. Bus routes that do not have customers have always been identifiable since people pay and get a ticket, if they sell no tickets it means no passengers, thats not rocket science is it? The database is covered by the data protection act and cannot be sold. You obviously never use buses, if you think waiting at each stop for a queue of people to pay, get ticket and get change is better than cashless travel you are mad. Plus you still haven't explained why the congestion charge and oyster being launched in the same year is some Tfl consiracy?

You do not have to register your card so if you do not want to be tracked then you don't register.....simple.

Ha ha. Non registered Oyster cards initiate image taking from journey start to finish, putting a face to a place.

CCTV

There is CCTV on all buses, as well as at bus, Tube, DLR and London Overground stations:

• Buses - All buses and bus stations now have CCTV cameras
  • Tube - The Tube station network has more than 13,000 CCTV cameras, with additional cameras on trains and even more being added as part of our Tube upgrade plan
  • DLR - CCTV cameras are in every station and on every train

2003 was a good year to commence operation big brother. ITSO compliance includes data protection, however Oyster from Cubic CTS is - some say- designed to fall short of the standard(s), so the data collected can be passed round.

Ha ha. Non registered Oyster cards initiate image taking from journey start to finish, putting a face to a place.

CCTV

There is CCTV on all buses, as well as at bus, Tube, DLR and London Overground stations:

• Buses - All buses and bus stations now have CCTV cameras
  • Tube - The Tube station network has more than 13,000 CCTV cameras, with additional cameras on trains and even more being added as part of our Tube upgrade plan
  • DLR - CCTV cameras are in every station and on every train

2003 was a good year to commence operation big brother. ITSO compliance includes data protection, however Oyster from Cubic CTS is - some say- designed to fall short of the standard(s), so the data collected can be passed round.

You really are a fruit loop, every time you have been proven wrong you bring up more rubbish! If TFL want to film me bored on a bus looking out the window they are very welcome. We have gone from a consiracy to get everyone on Oyster cards by bringing in the congestion charge to cctv on buses is there anything you don't think is a huge plot?

I think it's none apart from EV's.

It's proper bad though, the government getting everyone to spend £5k more on a standard Fiesta to get one that emits 99g/km emissions on the promise of free tax, no congestion charge etc... And then changing the goal posts AGAIN.

It's almost as bad as the lack of a rolling 25 year tax-exempt system.