Flatmate THREATENS TO SUE for non payment of deposit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4175 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My flatmate and I have been living together for over a year now. Relationship between us has deteriorated and I am moving on (found a new place). She agreed to pay the full amount for the deposit when we moved in including rent for both upon her move from Paris to London. We were friends at first and agreed I will transfer my share to her account. I waited for her to open a UK bank account in the meantime and used the money I had to transfer her to pay the bills as she did not have a bank account at first. I waited 3 months and eventually paid my share of rent (for 1st month when we moved in) about 4 months later. I was on a low income and she knew it was difficult for me to pay other bills while I had to wait for her to open a bank account and told me not to worry about the deposit. I had told her several times that I don’t have the money for my share of the deposit and she told me it is fine.14 months later, our relationship got to a point where we don't talk to each other at all just financials (bills) over emails. We got to this stage as she is very controlling and I had enough of it so told her that living with her was a struggle. She then threatens me to sue if I don’t pay back my share of the deposit. I gave my notice and told her I would leave after a year. She said fine and said she will keep the flat to herself. I then had to postpone my leave even though I had given my notice. 2.5 months later, I found another place and told her I would leave. She then said I cannot leave as I am still on the contract. I was in shock because I had asked her a lot of times previously if she had signed the renewal agreement and she said yes, she even described the terms.Because things are worse now, she now threatens to sue for not paying her my share of the deposit. I told her this is short notice and in the past she told me it is fine for not paying it. I mentioned if after check out we incur any damages I will be held liable for it too. I made that in writing.Does she have a case? Please help.

Hello there.

You've posted in a forum about benefits, so I'll move this to the property forum and see what the guys there think. If they think it needs moving to the legal forum, someone needs to let the site team know please. :)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

My flatmate and I have been living together for over a year now. Relationship between us has deteriorated and I am moving on (found a new place). She agreed to pay the full amount for the deposit when we moved in including rent for both upon her move from Paris to London. We were friends at first and agreed I will transfer my share to her account. I waited for her to open a UK bank account in the meantime and used the money I had to transfer her to pay the bills as she did not have a bank account at first. I waited 3 months and eventually paid my share of rent (for 1st month when we moved in) about 4 months later. I was on a low income and she knew it was difficult for me to pay other bills while I had to wait for her to open a bank account and told me not to worry about the deposit. I had told her several times that I don’t have the money for my share of the deposit and she told me it is fine.14 months later, our relationship got to a point where we don't talk to each other at all just financials (bills) over emails. We got to this stage as she is very controlling and I had enough of it so told her that living with her was a struggle. She then threatens me to sue if I don’t pay back my share of the deposit. I gave my notice and told her I would leave after a year. She said fine and said she will keep the flat to herself. I then had to postpone my leave even though I had given my notice. 2.5 months later, I found another place and told her I would leave. She then said I cannot leave as I am still on the contract. I was in shock because I had asked her a lot of times previously if she had signed the renewal agreement and she said yes, she even described the terms.Because things are worse now, she now threatens to sue for not paying her my share of the deposit. I told her this is short notice and in the past she told me it is fine for not paying it. I mentioned if after check out we incur any damages I will be held liable for it too. I made that in writing.Does she have a case? Please help.