recorded delivery 'is no guarantee of anything'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took a letter to the post office recently, and to make sure it got to its destination, I asked to send it by recorded delivery.

To my surprise, the person behind the counter said, "You do realise, don't you, that recorded delivery isn't a guarantee of anything?" I told him that, surely, it would guarantee that it would be delivered, and he said it wouldn't: for a guarantee of delivery, I would have to use another type of post that would cost me over five pounds.

I asked him just how a letter with the complete address on the envelope, including the postcode, and with the sender's address on the back, could possibly go astray, and he just shrugged and said, "This is just something we have to tell customers".

So how can paying a fiver ensure a letter will get to its destination when recorded delivery can't? For the more expensive service, do they use a special breed of non-careless postman?

Frankly, I felt I was being threatened - I think I was meant to hear this statement as, "Better pay us the extra, old son - you never know when things might 'go astray' - know what I mean?"

The Counter clerk was 100% correct.

In addition, I think his product knowledge in pointing this out to you shows what a good service RM provide.

Recorded Delivery items are exactly what it says, a signature on delivery (sometimes). This mail travels with the other 60 million items of mail that RM process daily. Should you not receive confirmation, you can reclaim the RD fee. The maximum amount you could claim should this item was lost, would be far less that the amount you could claim on a lost Special delivery item.

Special delivery is signed for at each step of the journey. The Postman signs for it at the PO, he will receive a signature when he drops it at the Delivery Office (RLS) and so on.

Jogs

Indeed it is no proof of delivery, however you can log onto the website and check to see if it has been delievered. If after 14 days it has not (or appears to have not been) you can raise a query and in my experience they have always got back to me with a POD. Seems the system fails sometimes, especially to Southend on sea

My father always sends my son's (4 off them) their Birthday cards by RM with a banknote in the middle. But over the last couple years, sadly either the cards never came or sometimes they arrived with a split down the side & the money gone!! A few have arrived untouched as well, thankfully.

So I asked him to send them in future by Recorded delivery in a plain brown envelope. (As you can usually tell by the coloured envelopes its a card of some sort)

This has worked out for us so far & all have arrived this year until now. It's my eldest son's Birthday today & the cards my Father sent on Monday still haven't arrived as yet, hopefully it's here tomorrow otherwise I will get the tracking number from him.

It's worth paying a little bit extra for Recorded delivery for piece off mind. This service is still quite cheap (95p + 60p 1st class stamp) compared to Special delivery (£5.90) as no way could I ask my Father whose a pensioner to pay this sum each time!

It's sad to have to resort to this just so my Son's get their cards. I remember on my Birthdays as a young girl, excitedly watching out for the brightly coloured envelopes the Postman would bring. Times sure have changed!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

I believe that Recorded Delivery only covers you for a value of up to £42.00 (but not cash)

RM used to advertise their RD service to send Legal documents or other items of importance that required a signature !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There is no tracking from the post office to the sorting office by recorded delivery. It it treated as the same as ordinary post with the only exception that a signature will be requested if and when delivered. On the odd occasion my recorded delivery even failed to turn up and all I got was a book of stamps..

• 1 month later...

If it's just a letter and nothing valuable inside it's just as good to send it first class and get a certificate of posting.

TS once told me, after i had a dispute with courts, that a COP was good enough for a Judge that the letter was sent.

1st class and 2nd class mail with a COP is still 'insured' up to a certain amount.

Appreciate if anyone knows if this is still true, it was a few years ago.

A COP is as good as Recorded Delivery from what I've garnered. Precedent has established it as a formalised proof of posting; it's 50% of the Recorded Delivery service (the only paid-for aspect of RD being the ePOD).

Where I work, whenever we post items out First Class to customers over a certain value we always ask for a COP which we can retain to prove that the item left our possession. This also means when the odd customer files a bogus nondelivery claim, we can provide proof of delivery which shifts liability for redelivering another item until a reasonable amount of time (14 days) has been allowed for delivery. Some people still don't realise First Class is a 'best effort' service...!