Bought a used car from a dealer and told them within 24 hours that I want my money back

ElmoFireUp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sounds like they have updated the software on the vehicle's ECU (Engine Control Unit) which has fixed some bugs. Its common for manufacturers to do this and can help with the cars performance / economy.

Source: I used to work for VW Customer Services

Twitter - @memgrubb

--

If my post helped - please click the star icon below.

To your knowledge would a software problem make a cars 0 to 60mph time drop from 9.5 seconds to 21 seconds?

Would a software upgrade fix this problem?

I'm no mechanic but as far as I am aware the ECU controls pretty much everything to do with a modern cars engine such as throttle speed / response, braking pressure etc. The ECU can also put a car into 'limp home mode".

It doesn't sound like this has happened on this occasion but a software update may have been the fix for the problem.

If you are still unsure you can request a copy of the diagnostic report from the garage and take it elsewhere for an independent opinion. There probably will be a charge for this.

Twitter - @memgrubb

--

If my post helped - please click the star icon below.

To your knowledge would a software problem make a cars 0 to 60mph time drop from 9.5 seconds to 21 seconds?

Would a software upgrade fix this problem?

We had a similar problem with our vehicle and a software update cured it. neither a mechanic or a auto electrician would be able to do this and the vehicle would need to go to a franchise dealer.

Heliosuk, you are right about the garage / auto-electrician not being experts in this case. Given the symptoms described here i would have firstly tried a fuel expert such as a main Bosch agent as the slugishness could have been caused by partial fuel starvation. I'm like you--check out the simple things first, in this case probably air and fuel filters etc etc.

All fixed. It has had the latest software update so they tell me. Collected the car today and it runs smooth as silk. Iv'e looked into the whole saga with my solicitor and he says the fact that I originally asked them to fix the problem as soon as I found out about it is all they needed to refuse a refund and carry out the repair. It does not matter that I retracted my request within 5 minutes because as far as the course of events goes I asked for a repair first. At least I know my rights now for future reference so I don't run into the same issue again.

Not to fussed as I always liked the car and now it's working tip top I'm happy.

Got another problem now though that I have just noticed. The only window I can open from the drivers door is the drivers door window. All the other windows do open but not from the drivers door like they are meant to. Oh well not a big problem and I certainly am not going to take back to the dealer for fixing!

Thanks for all your input guys!

The OP should be watching the use of the car. The software update was perhaps actually a forced regeneration of the DPF.

OP should monitor oil level weekly as stated in the handbook and make sure it gets a good blast every now and again if its use is predominantly around town. If on Motorways will probaly not be an issue. Towns kill DPF's unfortunately.

A software update would probably change the regen parameters of a DPF which is whatI believe might have happened.

The OP should be watching the use of the car. The software update was perhaps actually a forced regeneration of the DPF.

OP should monitor oil level weekly as stated in the handbook and make sure it gets a good blast every now and again if its use is predominantly around town. If on Motorways will probaly not be an issue. Towns kill DPF's unfortunately.

A software update would probably change the regen parameters of a DPF which is whatI believe might have happened.

Got no idea what this means. I understand the checking of oil levels which I will certainly do on a weekly basis now you have pointed it out but don't know what you mean with the rest!

All fixed. It has had the latest software update so they tell me. Collected the car today and it runs smooth as silk. Iv'e looked into the whole saga with my solicitor and he says the fact that I originally asked them to fix the problem as soon as I found out about it is all they needed to refuse a refund and carry out the repair. It does not matter that I retracted my request within 5 minutes because as far as the course of events goes I asked for a repair first. At least I know my rights now for future reference so I don't run into the same issue again.

Not to fussed as I always liked the car and now it's working tip top I'm happy.

Got another problem now though that I have just noticed. The only window I can open from the drivers door is the drivers door window. All the other windows do open but not from the drivers door like they are meant to. Oh well not a big problem and I certainly am not going to take back to the dealer for fixing!

Thanks for all your input guys!

Sometimes when they load the new software, it can cause other issues which are easily overcome. Some operations are re-set to a default operation. Are you sure you have not accidentally clicked the "lock" for the other windows?

Maybe a bit late this post......A consumer's primary remedy under SOGA is to reject the goods and claim damages. This has always been there and until around 2002 this was the only remedy. This remedy of rejection was added to by the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations and consumers could now ask for a repair, replacement, partial rejection (some money off) and it was up to the trader to pick the most economically viable solution (consumers couldn't force a replacement if a repair was more cost effective for example). This new set of remedies run seperately from the the primary one of rejection and using one set wouldn't preclude you from using the other. You could explore a repair or replacement and if that wasn't successful you could then reject (assuming certian conditions were met around acceptance of the goods - I'll not go into that here).