toysthatkill

Charge For Payment recieved - help!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2525 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there

I've only just come across this forum in the past week,

I had my savings account arrested & have had £872.38 taken from me for council tax arrears.

I missed the Charge For Payment as I wasn't around at the time.

I've been served another Charge For Payment for £1073.40 & was wondering what I can do to stop another arrestment being made.

I've read about various methods of applying for time to pay, but it's all new to me and I'm starting to panic!

The original arrestment was a pain,

but I had the money to cover it, now I don't have much!

I am in full time employment so I could pay in instalments.

The Charge is from Walker Love, acting on behalf of West Dunbartonshire Council.

Thanks & please help! :(

This is not uncommon and they clearly know when your salary is paid into your account. The second Charge for Payment will relate to a seperate arrears period and therfeore it is possible they will go down this route again. Without knowing your entire ciircumstances a Time to Pay order may be worth considering, altenatively if you own property with equity a Debt Payment Programme under the terms of the Debt Arrangement Scheme (Scotland) Regulations may be worth considering (DO NOT CONFUSE WITH DEBT MANAGEMENT PROGRAMMES). In a situation like this it is wise to act quickly as there is also possible that Walker Love will serve a Wages Arrestment Schedule and take deductions from your salary.

I don't own any property, I rent a flat & my wage usually comes out at around £1000 a month after deductions, so there's no way I can pay it outright (as much as I would like to). I really appreciate the advice, I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a tad terrified at the prospect of another arrestment, especially given the time of year.

Hiya,

You can find a time to pay order in here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?185249-Have-you-received-a-charge-for-payment-arrestment-summary-warrant

print it off and fill it out.

I would advised that you attach a full budget sheet with it rather than the one on the form and just mark attached over the one on the form.

you can use this budget sheet in the library

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?590-Creditors-and-DCAs-Letter-Templates-Budget-Planner

you must return this to the issuing court no later than 14 days from the date on the charge for payment, hand it in and get a receipt if possible if not send SD.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

I owe money to HMRC for an overpayment of tax credits, but I'm already paying them back.

I've printed off the Time To Pay, I'll get that filled in and sent off by SD tomorrow.

If they don't accept my offer, what will be the likely course of action? I really can't afford another bank arrestment, to be honest I'm thankful the first one hit my savings account.

don't worry about a bank arrestment as you are dealing with the charge for payment.

the court will forward you proposal to walker love they will either:

accept it and as long as you continue to make the payments no further action will be take

reject it and the court will call a hearing where a judge will decide if your offer is fair or not - this is not scary as you think :)

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

if you want to look extra good start making your payment proposal when you can :razz:

and relax and have a wee drink you are now in control and addressing it

So should I indicate when I intend to start making payments or wait until they get back to me? I've filled in the TTP order, pretty straight forward.

I just wish I'd been around to do this with the first arrestment, it wasn't the best thing to discover upon getting back from holiday/ it's caused a massive amount of stress but thankfully I could handle it financially as I didn't use the account for anything other than rainy day money. Still a pain though!

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I'm quite frankly terrified of all of this.

Also, is it too late to contact Walker Love themselves as a last resort or should I just go with the time to pay order?

Ida, I had no idea you could do this. I started full time work last year after being unemployed for a while. My council tax arrears were being taken from my benefit and when my benefits stopped I contacted Walker Love to propose an additional £25 per month on top of my full council tax payment. The did not get back to me...I put it in writing....and just went straight for arrestment. I didn't know it at the time but I have quite a serious medical condition and had to give up work. They went for arrestment on my last salary but as I had been paid in arrears for sick pay there was no salary and they got nothing. I contacted them and advised them of my illness and suggested they now take it from my benefits again. I knew nothing about the wages arrestment so how do you find out about it? By the time they got in touch with me they had already put in the wages arrestment and my employer told me they had to act on it. If this ever happens again what is the procedure that Sheriff Officers have to take before they can go for arrestment? I think Walker Love appear to be a law unto themselves. Thanks for this info. x

Toys,

There is nowhere to indicate that you are going to Uniate payment but start making the payment you have proposed so i walker reject it you can show the court you are willing to pay it and keep paying it., don't bother contqctingn walker as the court process will continue anyway .

Gemspan.

I am going to make a stickie for the process in details in next few days x

Okay, I rang them this morning to propose paying back £100 a month starting tomorrow & they assured me it won't go any further. They said they'll send the agreement out in writing, but said not to worry about the charge for payment. Is this right? It seems like it went a little too smoothly & I don't really trust them.

Spoke to Dumbarton Sheriff Court there, they seemed to think that I have nothing to worry about, so long as I stick to what I said I'd pay. They were actually really helpful.

No, if you do not respond to the court then walker love can slap you with a bank arrestment or wages arrestment at any time.

You must repsond to it.

Okay, I'll get it sent off ASAP. Should I mention to the court that I have spoken to Walker Love who seemed happy with the proposal?

no need but just make sure it is a payment you can comfortable afford

here is the table they use for wages arrestments

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2009/395/schedule/made