• Tweets

• Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
    • Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A representative(bailiff) from Jacobs visited my home property in order to collect an outstanding some of £75 in which we unknowingly owed to out local authority for council tax.

They reckoned that they sent out a letter to us in October..a letter that we definitely didn't receive. Unfortunately I was out at the time and so they handed my husband a letter.

Inside the letter I was totally shocked to discover that they had banged on charges of £170 just for the visit.

I had to ask a family member to lend me the money to pay as my husband is a uncontrolled epileptic and is unable to work and i am a full-time University student, we also have three children.

I phone the main office who were completely disrespectful and very unhelpful.. I phoned the Bailiff to see if we could arrange an agreement to repay. He told me that if i didn't pay the full amount he would return on Monday to remove goods and we would also be charged an extra £112!

How is this justified on a debt of £75? Legal thieves and bullies.

Edited by citizenB
formatting

has the bailiff ever been inside your house if so what items have he a levy on??

fees should be £24.50 first visit and £18.00 second visit where no levy taken place

have you paid the bill to the bailiffs if not pay the money direct to council

Formal complaint to council who are responsible for bailiffs

get on to local MP

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Thread moved to Bailiff forums as requested :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

as was said previous dont pay Bailiff pay council direct and dont take the we cant accept payment you have to pay bailiff......they MUST accept payment. next dont ring bailiff ever as you have found out they tell porky pies and make threats. If the bailiff turns up on monday you dont have to let him in, in fact DONT let him in he has no right to enter, of course he will tell you he has. He will say he is coming back with a locksmith to break in....guess what he isnt because he cant break in....he will say I'm coming back with police to get entry and you will be arrested yep you guessed it he cant and wont be. Final one is he walks back to his car after saying he is ringing van that is in area to come and get goods, all he is do is ringing the office to ask the time etc...... there is no van and certainly if he has no walking possession he cant remove goods.

So go to council and pay the £75 (if you can if not use online system and pay what you can afford and pay that every month).

So in brief

dont speak on phone to bailiff

dont let bailiff in or pay him or speak to him

pay council

then have a great christmas knowing you beat the bailiff

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

With your circumstances this should not be with a Bailiff anyway. You must write ASAP to both Council & Bailiffs claiming you are vulnerable because of your husband's illness - you do have to provide proof of this. I assume if you are a student you claim an exemption anyway and any further bill should be subject to a discount?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The bailiffs didn't enter the property, just handed my husband the letter. I phoned the bailiff straight away to see if i could sort out a payment but they insisted that if we didn't pay the £265 then they would return on Monday to remove goods and bang an extra £112 for having to come out again!

I feel like such a fool as I panicked. Luckily my brother is generous and was able to lend us the money to pay.

I do claim exception being a student. The laughable thing is, is that we are currently in the wrong council tax band and are due a refund of around £2500 any time soon!

Does anyone know if we will be able to claim the disproportionate charges back off the bailiffs?

Thanks for the advice..

As you are a vulnerable family under the National Standards, to which the council and Jacobs should be signed up to quote this with proof in writing to Council and jacobs, if they still ignore the vulnerability, initiate a FORMAL COMPLAINT, to council CEO, leader, and indicate it has also been copied to your MP for their reference.

Vulnerable situations

 Enforcement agents/agencies and creditors must recognise that

they each have a role in ensuring that the vulnerable and socially

excluded are protected and that the recovery process includes

procedures agreed between the agent/agency and creditor about

how such situations should be dealt with. The appropriate use of

discretion is essential in every case and no amount of guidance

could cover every situation, therefore the agent has a duty to

contact the creditor and report the circumstances in situations

where there is evidence of a potential cause for concern. If

necessary, the enforcement agent will advise the creditor if further

action is appropriate. The exercise of appropriate discretion is

needed, not only to protect the debtor, but also the enforcement

agent who should avoid taking action which could lead to

accusations of inappropriate behaviour.

 Enforcement agents must withdraw from domestic premises if the

only person present is, or appears to be, under the age of 18; they

can ask when the debtor will be home - if appropriate.

 Enforcement agents must withdraw without making enquiries if the

only persons present are children who appear to be under the age

of 12.

 Wherever possible, enforcement agents should have

arrangements in place for rapidly accessing translation services

when these are needed, and provide on request information in

large print or in Braille for debtors with impaired sight.

 Those who might be potentially vulnerable include:

 the elderly;

 people with a disability;

 the seriously ill;

 the recently bereaved;

 single parent families;

 pregnant women;

 unemployed people; and,

 those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or

reading English.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

There isn't a template as such as individual circumstances are all different. What you should do is to send off for a breakdown of the fees the Bailiff is charging, there is a good chance he will be overcharging. Here's an example of what to send and do it initially by email followed by a copy in the post.

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lorna, I think you should also call the Council and ask if you did owe them any money and what address they sent their letters advising you of the amount. Jacobs may have lied about the letter they sent back in October, but £170 sounds a bit heavy for a first visit even from a cheating bunch of rogues. So it is possible they sent the letter and made a couple of visits to another address before finding out where you actually lived.

Sorry to be critical everyone but my personal opinion is that a letter should be sent to the COUNCIL and copied to Jacobs. The letter should be marked Formal Complaint and you should refer to the information that you posted in your post number 7.

There is very little need to spend time waiting for a response from the bailiff company regarding the question of fees. As the council are wholly responsible for the levy and fees they will have to address the fees.

It would seem that ONCE AGAIN another bailiff company are attempting to charge an "attending to remove" fee to your account before a valid levy upon goods has been undertaken.

Frankly, this industry is simply out of control and I would urge others in the same position as Lorna to write letters of complaint to the Head of Revenues at th relevant local authority.

Sorry to be critical everyone but my personal opinion is that a letter should be sent to the COUNCIL and copied to Jacobs. The letter should be marked Formal Complaint and you should refer to the information that you posted in your post number 7.

There is very little need to spend time waiting for a response from the bailiff company regarding the question of fees. As the council are wholly responsible for the levy and fees they will have to address the fees.

It would seem that ONCE AGAIN another bailiff company are attempting to charge an "attending to remove" fee to your account before a valid levy upon goods has been undertaken.

Frankly, this industry is simply out of control and I would urge others in the same position as Lorna to write letters of complaint to the Head of Revenues at th relevant local authority.

TT,

I have emailed ACPO to try to get to the bottom of the "It's A Civil Matter" song police officers sign whenever any mention is made to them of a bailiff incident. I have explained to them the difference between Court Bailiffs and Certificated Bailiffs and the strokes they pull, including the misleading of police officers. As soon as I receive a response, I'll forward a copy to you.

Hi all just a thought

As the amount is only £75.00, this does not even cover the cost of a LO,

Did you receive a LO from the council, and had been paying , and the £75.00 was the balance?

or had you forgot to pay the remaining £75.00, for that council tax year.

I just wonder if there was a LO in the first place.

as I say just a thought.

Leakie

It is a 'civil matter' whenever you complain to the police about a bailiff's behaviour but a 'criminal matter' when the bailiff makes a complaint about your behaviour, !!!!

TT,

I have emailed ACPO to try to get to the bottom of the "It's A Civil Matter" song police officers sign whenever any mention is made to them of a bailiff incident. I have explained to them the difference between Court Bailiffs and Certificated Bailiffs and the strokes they pull, including the misleading of police officers. As soon as I receive a response, I'll forward a copy to you.

Don't worry - I've put ACPO fully in the picture as to the lies certificated bailiffs tell debtors and police officers. I would be interested to see if they have a policy on certificated bailiffs or are open to learning.

It is only a civil matter until the bailiff behaves like a moron and crosses the line. At that point, it ceases to become a civil matter and becomes a criminal matter.

Update..

I have spoken to someone in the recovery department at my local council who are saying that they have no say in what the Bailiffs can charge. However, I can get a refund on the charges if I can prove that the car they put down as a levy is not mine! They charged me an extra £110 for removal costs although it was their 1st visit and i should of only been charged £24..

The council are denying that they had knowledge of my husbands illness even though this is untrue.

I intend to make a complaint to the council, Jacobs and will copy my local MP into this as well.

Update..

I have spoken to someone in the recovery department at my local council who are saying that they have no say in what the Bailiffs can charge. However, I can get a refund on the charges if I can prove that the car they put down as a levy is not mine! They charged me an extra £110 for removal costs although it was their 1st visit and i should of only been charged £24..

The council are denying that they had knowledge of my husbands illness even though this is untrue.

I intend to make a complaint to the council, Jacobs and will copy my local MP into this as well.

Make sure you mark it as a Formal Complaint, to Head of Revenues copied to Council CEO, and Elected leader, your local councillor and MP, indicate that they are in breach of the National Standards with regard to vulnerable people, and as to the council having nothing to do with what the bailiffs charge, remind them they are 100% liable for the actions or misdeeds of their agent Jacobs. The levy is on a third party motor, so is invalid, you could mention the LGO report into Blaby Council and Rossendales regarding third party goods levied:

http://www.lgo.org.uk/news/2012/jul/blaby-council-criticised-bailiff-charges/

You could also mention that as you are aggrieved by the unlawful levy by their Agent Jacobs, you may exercise the option to register a Regulation 46 Complaint with the Council as defendant at the magistrates court

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Quote:

I have spoken to someone in the recovery department at my local council who are saying that they have no say in what the bailiffslink3.gif can charge

The law has some say in what they charge though and the Council are not above the law and are 100% responsible for what THEIR bailiffs do and what they charge

Hi

Please can someone clarify for me that the bailiff should only charge a fee of £24 for their initial visit..

The fees we have been charged are as follows;

Sch 5 Head H £24.50

Attendance/Van £110

Levy fee £56

all with regard of a first visit dated Nov 17th.

Many Thanks

Lorna

Hi

Please can someone clarify for me that the bailiff should only charge a fee of £24 for their initial visit..

The fees we have been charged are as follows;

Sch 5 Head H £24.50

Attendance/Van £110

Levy fee £56

all with regard of a first visit dated Nov 17th.

Many Thanks

Lorna

Lorna this is most important, did the bailiff list any of your goods, and leave a notice of seizure with them listed when he came? have you done as ploddertom suggested and sent the Acme letter for a breakdown of fees charged to your account?

If there is no levy, these fees are just plain wrong, and possibly unlawful at this point.

A shed 5 head h is a redemption fee for goods seized and offered for sale, the attendance/van fee is also likely dodgy, as he attends to levy, unless he has a levy then the £56 levy fee is also a bailiff Brothers Grimm invention. No Levy Nothing more than a First Visit fee of £24.50 is payable, if he attends again then £18.50 is also due, but if again he doesn't get a levy, then he can attend daily and as long as there is no levy, and he cannot get in the house the two visit fees are akll he is entitled to.

However Jacobs look like they are being a little liberal with wheelclamps so keep any motor well away from your property. If he then levies and clamps a neighbours or random parked motor, as bailiffs have done in the past. he is up the creek in more ways than one

Above all don't woeey Caggers will help you sort this.

While you are waiting for replies to various letters etc can I suggest you start to make payments direct to the Council using their online payment facility and make regular affordable and sustainable amount every week eg. £5 every Monday. This will soon build you a payment history and avoid any further action being taken. You have so far had 1 visit from Jacobs and the fee to that is £24.50 so if you can afford the full £75 as a single payment and make that payment before they call again the fees will be £24.50 but, if they call again they are entitled to charge a further £18.

While you are paying the Council the £75 in installments their fees are capped at £42.50 they can call every day of the week if that's what turns them on but they cannot charge you for anymore than £42.50.for doing so.

WD