AFL HP Default notice - legal advise needed.

MisterT1968
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4175 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody,

This is my first post, so please excuse me, if I posted it into the wrong location ;) And please move it to the correct one.

I searched the forum, but did not find something related.

I have a HP agreement with AFL (Advantage Finance Ltd), where i was unable to make the last payment (due 28th October 2012).

The HP agreement is currently beginning the last of 4 years. So 3/4th of the agreement is paid off.

AFL sent me a notice that I have missed the payment,

a few days (less than a week) later,

which gave me 48 hours to contact them and pay in full.

However, the letter arrived 3 working days after the date specified.

At the 14th November 2012 I called them up and explained, what happened and asked, if there is a chance to make 3 or 4 increased payments for the following installments.

I was rather rudely informed, that they can "not allow" a non-payment for this month.

They also informed me, that, as I am unable to pay, they have to default my account immediately.

I asked that the person discusses the issue with her supervisor.

As I had a meeting to attend at this time, I was unable to stay in the line.

Then the letter they sent then was dated the same day (14th November 2012), which I received at the 16th November 2012, that included a Notice of Default (served under Section 87(1) of the CCA 1974).

I am under the impression, that a Notice of Default can only be issued, if a Notice of Sums in Arrears were issued, which can only be issued after a shortfall of no less than 2 payments.

How is the legal situation here?

I understand, that they cannot reposess the car without a court order anyway, as more than 50% has been paid off already.

Best regards,

MisterT1968

You are correct on all points, I suggest you WRITE and inform them, do not phone.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you very much for your update :)

I am not sure about the necessity of a Notice of sums in arrears in a HP agreement. The document I found for this (oft1002.pdf from the OFT website) only speaks about fixed-sum credit agreements, but not an HP agreement.

Currently I am considering a VT on this car anyway. But I will wait for the reaction to my letter, which I sent already at the 15th November 2012.

With the VT, I will probably wait until the next MOT. I think I will have to repair some things before it can be MOT'ed. Or should I consider to VT before this?

And what is considered as a reasonable condition for the VT?

Best regards,

MisterT1968