Rcm31

Fined for non payment of tax. Car not mine now. Forgot to inform of transfer.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2524 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have received a fine for non tax of a vehicle which transferred out of my possession in June. I admit I forgot to notify the dvla of the change of ownership but did send this on last week, i had assumed snd tristed thdy the dealer ehere i patt exchanged mu car would do this. I have now received a letter saying I am still liable for the fine and the unpaid tax on the vehicle. Do I actually have to pay tax for a car I no longer have?

Get intouch with the dealer and ask why they did not inform DVLA - However I think you will be liable for the fine in relation to failing to notify change of keeper as you admit you have not done this - The new keeper will be liable for the road tax

Get intouch with the dealer and ask why they did not inform DVLA - However I think you will be liable for the fine in relation to failing to notify change of keeper as you admit you have not done this - The new keeper will be liable for the road tax

Hi thanks for this, I am accepting the fine but not that I am liable for the "arrears of duty", is there a way that others have responded to this before and only had to pay the fine?

The new keeper would (or should) be aware of when the current tax disc expired. If the V5 had not been transferred (by you) to the new keeper then he/she would of had to apply for a new V5 to re-tax the vehicle by filling out a V62. In the meantime, you would of received a reminder of the tax expiry as you would of been still be the RK as far as the DVLA are concerned.

So in a nutshell, the new keeper should be responsible for the tax since he owned the car (although technically the current RK is responsible as far as the DVLA are concerned) and you face a fine for failing to notify a change of keeper.

Edited by sailor sam

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

So in a nutshell, the new keeper should be responsible for the tax since he owned the car (although technically the current RK is responsible as far as the DVLA are concerned) and you face a fine for failing to notify a change of keeper.

The registered keeper is responsible for licensing a vehicle. They may or may not be the owner.

In the OP's case, as they had not notified DVLA of the change, they were still the registered keeper and responsible for the licence.

What part of the V5 did you give to the dealer? You should have given them most of the document and only retained the yellow (transferring to motor trade section 9). This should have been signed by you both and YOU have the responsibility of sending it to the DVLA.

The lower part on many occasion has been sent then they deny receiving it.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: