new and confused

Gunta
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4175 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello:???: new here and I want to ask a question about claiming costs from court after winning an appeal against a driving conviction, where should i be to ask? I have looked at some forums but can't actually see where I should post my question. thanks for your guidance

Hello All.. I really would appreciate some advice please.

I recently won an appeal against conviction in Lincoln Crown Court, the Judge ruled that the six points be removed from my license and the £150 I had paid towards the total fine of £865 be returned to me. On the way out of the court a solicitor who had been watching from the back of the court congratulated me and advised I should now claim costs. Now at that time I was just relieved that justice had been done as I originally pleaded not guilty of the offence but failed to go to court to fight my case in person.

Now here's where I need the advice. After originally being found guilty HMCS were on me like a bullet out of a gun threatening me with all sorts of action if I didn't get this fine paid immediately, I phoned them up like the leaflets advised me to do if I was going to need time to pay, the lady I spoke to at HMCS was very polite and told me the installments would be £150 per month! WHAT! no way could I meet that demand, to which I was told if I should fail to pay that amount they would apply to have the money stopped from my wages and have the fine increased with penalties. I really had no option but pay the first installment of £150 as totally expected my bank were soon in touch with the usual stuff regarding my overdraft, and then came the bank statement £85.00 for going over my planned overdraft for eight days, now i'm fuming I was totally innocent and it's cost me a fortune, Lincoln court is a 240 mile round trip and I had to go their twice and pay a small fortune for parking and take two days holiday from work which again I could really do without.

And so finally my question, can I claim court costs? if so what can I claim from who and how?

Again thanks for any advice.

Edited by Gunta
grammer

Two threads merged.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

Why did you fail to attend the first hearing? This may have an affect on your ability to claim costs of the appeal.

Hiya yes a good question and one that the prosecution picked up on but was straight forward to me at the time. I simply could not afford to get there as i do not own my own car and to get there by train would have meant arriving the day before (a nine hour train journey) At the time I was writing to the CPS and the court asking if they could change the court to a local one for me enabling me to attend, neither decided my request was worthy of an answer even if it was out of the question. I eventually loaned a car from a friend to get to court.