Gazette

Claiming damages from the council...

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2520 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can you?

The street light outside my house has been out for two weeks, making it very dark. Two of our cars have been vandalised in that time.

One car had its windscreen smashed, the other its wing mirror. This had cost more than £200 to repair so far. Can I claim this back from the council???

Thanks!

I would say no as the damage is far too remote.

You would need to prove that the damage caused was as a direct result of the street lights not being illuminated, and also prove that had the street lights been working, the damage would not have been caused.

You will end up banging your head against a brick wall as local authorities have many get out clauses as part of their statutory defence, and unfortunately you will not be able to get legal representation unless you are prepared to pay for it as legal costs cannot be claimed back in litigation cases where the value is under £5,000

IMHO the only slim chance you have is if you had notified the council soon after the lights failed and they took no action to remedy the fault. I meant to type slim in capitals.

I go with T.C. post. You will have to show that the damage was as a direct result of the lamp not working which it obviously wasn't unless some poor sole lost their way and walked into it.

It's not easy getting recompense from a Council when their potholes damage your car or you trip over an uneven paving slab.