Enact want £30,000 - Mortgage shortfall

Jam_Buttie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Brief outline.

Friend has been hiding fom debt for a few years ago, but it is all slowly catching him up.

I have managed to set up a few payment plans for the smaller debts - phone contract, catalogues, door step loans etc. All under SB and are getting £1.00 per month.

They rec'd a letter from Enact Direct Legal Solutions who are chasing him for £30,000 for a mortgage shortfall.

They have no knowledge of this as he has never lived at the property in question. Yet they are saying he was joint owner and/or guarantor.

Sent them the "prove it" letter and they have responded with a letter showing a breakdown of costs:

Original mortgage, interest, costs etc, plus the sale price. Which left the £30,000 shortfall.

Just wondering where to go with this?

If the mortgage company is a member of CML they have signed up to a code of practice where they promised not to chase a shortfall after six years, see; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?147135-CML-Code-of-Conduct-and-the-6-year-rule-for-mortgage-shortfalls

Also, why isnt the "sale" from 2010 showing on sites such as Zoopla etc..?

He does not know if his mum had her house repossessed ? Are they now estranged or did she pass away ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Two threads merged as requested :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You might need to send a Subject Access Request for all data in connection with this shortfall. It will cost you £10.00 - they have 40 calendar days to respond. There is a draft letter in the CAG library :)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

OK. On the face of it they have provided proof of the sums owing.

They have not provided proof of their legal right to collect them.

I would get your friend to send a formal complaint that they have not complied with his/her request (the prove it letter) with any evidence that he/she is legally liable to pay this debt. The account is in dispute until such time as they provide a legible copy of the deed or contract that established liability, along with the terms and conditions thereof. Your friend also requires a Statement of Account, from inception, showing how the default sum accrued.

There are two cornerstones to the legitimacy of someone claiming money from anybody else.

One is that the sum is correct.

Two is that they have the right to claim it.

The completely ignored two.

Get your friend on the case (post #18)... It could be the omission was deliberate.

Given the amount of the Mortgage loan, I am surprised that he did not ask his Mum to explain the purpose of signing the mortgage agreement. Plus the Mortgage company would have asked for his financial information e.g details of employment/financial status, to make sure he could step in as guarantor if required.

If there is any issue of the Mortgage company not acting in a diligent way when dealing with the mortgage application, then there may be a get out opportunity. So making an SAR request is good advice. Once he has the SAR info, I would suggest that he examines every detail to see on what basis he can make a complaint to the FOS. Once there is a live complaint ongoing with the FOS, it will stop the Mortgage company and the DCA continuing collection activity, giving many months of peace, during which he might want to investigate the matter further.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Send them a CCA request in the meantime and perhaps add a not saying that he does not recall ever agreeing to be party to the Mortgage in question.

Totally agree about a SAR request to the original creditor, not the debt collectors.

Re proving the debt is his, I doubt there's a follow up to the prove it letter, but a straight forward request for proof that he is liable for the debt would be fine. You could include that he has never lived at that property and has no knowledge of any alleged debt.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.