Parking Eye - Parking Charge - help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I parked in a Parking Eye car park whilst going to the cinema opposite. The maximum stay was 3 hours (although I didn't know this until receiving my parking fine).

It was a Friday night at 20:42 when I left my car there. The car park closed at 22:00 (although, again, I didn't know until later). When I returned to my car, the car park was locked and I could not remove my car until the next morning. I returned at 08:42 the next morning. The car park opened at 5am (I noticed on my return in the morning) but the shops did not open until 9am.

My car was not using up any parking space during opening hours and no one else could enter the car park / require my space in that time.

I didn't see the signs saying that the car park would be locked, nor that the maximum stay was 3 hours.

They are now trying to charge me £85.

Help! What do I need to do?

The only way bailiffs would get involved is if it goes to court, you lose and THEN you fail to pay whatever the judge orders within 28 days. This is such a remote possibility that it's not worth worrying about.

Don't forget that the only claim that can be made is for the actual material loss suffered by the landowner, not some fancy figure dreamt up by the parking company. Parking eye did try court once and although they won, all they were awarded was £15 ( the cost of 2 P&D tickets) and not the hundreds of pounds they were claiming. They went to court mob-handed with four legal seagulls. For that they claimed for a couple of thousand in legal fees. All they were awarded was £95. So a very expensive lesson for them and one they won't repeat again.

They will almost certainly try to obtain payment by threatening you with everything from a dose of diphtheria to public execution on prime time telly, in fact most of their begging letters are so misleading that they become humorous. The best thing you can do is simply ignore all letters, if you respond to them you simply become embroiled in a game of letter ping pong.

Nothing to worry about.