Suzc123

Parking Eye - Parking Charge - help!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2523 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

I parked in a Parking Eye car park whilst going to the cinema opposite. The maximum stay was 3 hours (although I didn't know this until receiving my parking fine).

It was a Friday night at 20:42 when I left my car there. The car park closed at 22:00 (although, again, I didn't know until later). When I returned to my car, the car park was locked and I could not remove my car until the next morning. I returned at 08:42 the next morning. The car park opened at 5am (I noticed on my return in the morning) but the shops did not open until 9am.

My car was not using up any parking space during opening hours and no one else could enter the car park / require my space in that time.

I didn't see the signs saying that the car park would be locked, nor that the maximum stay was 3 hours.

They are now trying to charge me £85.

Help! What do I need to do?

Hi and welcome to the CAG I have moved your thread to the correct forum where you'll get the best help.

I'm sure the regulars on this forum will be along soon to advise.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome to the Consumer Forums

Free advice and support to to solve your consumer problems.

You will soon discover what a friendly place this is and get lots of hints about standing up to consumer bullies or dealing with other consumer rights.

Which guide to the Sale Of Goods Act

New advice guide explains credit card rights

Help the CAG!!

Make a donation

ARE YOU A VICTIM OF COWBOY BUILDERS?

Has your RBS account been transferred to Santander?

Forum rules. Please read these before posting

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CAG LIBRARY!! IT HAS LOADS OF USEFUL STUFF IN THERE. CLICK HERE

You don't owe them a penny. Just ignore any silly letters you might get from them.

Will they be able to take me to court / send bailiffs in etc?

The only way bailiffs would get involved is if it goes to court, you lose and THEN you fail to pay whatever the judge orders within 28 days. This is such a remote possibility that it's not worth worrying about.

Don't forget that the only claim that can be made is for the actual material loss suffered by the landowner, not some fancy figure dreamt up by the parking company. Parking eye did try court once and although they won, all they were awarded was £15 ( the cost of 2 P&D tickets) and not the hundreds of pounds they were claiming. They went to court mob-handed with four legal seagulls. For that they claimed for a couple of thousand in legal fees. All they were awarded was £95. So a very expensive lesson for them and one they won't repeat again.

Suzc

What date did you park in the car park and what date is the notice from Parking Eye?

Hi

I parked overnight 26 Oct 12 to 27 Oct 12 and their letter is dated 1 Nov 12.

Also, I don't know whether it makes any difference, but this is a free car park - there is no charge for under 3 hours.

As there is no charge for this car park, and I was not parked there for more than 3 hours during shop opening times, they surely cannot claim any material loss. Would that be right?

They will almost certainly try to obtain payment by threatening you with everything from a dose of diphtheria to public execution on prime time telly, in fact most of their begging letters are so misleading that they become humorous. The best thing you can do is simply ignore all letters, if you respond to them you simply become embroiled in a game of letter ping pong.

Nothing to worry about.