style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2522 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All first ever post so bear with me please.

I was rudely awoken at 7am by a gentleman who claimed to be a bailiff the on wednesday morning

and it was regarding council tax payment for an old house that i moved out of in 2008.

I had originally agreed payment with the council and was paying in £40 monthly.

I am currently a full time student and during holiday time traveled away for 7 weeks, during this time my account went into arrears.

On return there was a couple of letters from the council reminding me that my account was in arrears and to rectify this.

I called the council explained what had happened and the lady said i should just continue paying agreed amount.

However, i was shocked to see this (glorified doorman) bailiff slamming on my door and he said he was going to Levy my wife's car which was on our drive.

I explained to him that it was not my car but he said everything you own is 50:50 yours.

I have rang the council who have now backtracked on our agreement and are saying deal with the bailiffs nothing to do with us.

I have called the bailiffs to try and arrange a payment but they are saying they want full payment and there is no other option.

My 48 hours runs out this evening and the bailiff has promised that Lorries will be waiting to remove goods from my house.

Numerous calls to and fro have not yielded any benefit. HELP please.

I will be grateful for any advice.

hi mgabe.

welcome along.

he cant levey on the car its not yours.

he also cant levy on anything inside the house unless you let him in - DONT.

pay the council directly

dont pay the bailff

if he wants his fees

he'll get them through the council payments

dobt fall for his tricks

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Hi

Thank you very much, I have been paying the council directly and they have acknowledged receipt of my payments however, they are saying stop paying us pay the bailiffs. The bailiff i spoke to was rude and keeps hanging the phone on me. I have called the council numerous times but they all keep saying pay the bailiffs you defaulted and we want to recover our money. What can i do to get the bailiffs off my back, what can stop them from calling all the time?

It's your money & up to you who you pay at an amount you can afford. I gather from your silence he has not returned. Do you know how much you owe? You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Is your car on finance? How old & how much do you think it is worth? If you are a full time student you should be exempt from paying Council Tax although your partner will be liable but may claim Single Person Discount.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Firstly, council tax is inded a joint debt. Were you married at the time that the debt was owed?

What fees have been charged to your account?

My tuppence....

Have you seen the ID/certificate of the bailiff? Check with the relevant court that:

a. his cert is valid and

b. he works for Jacobs.

Jacobs have have a habit of using freelancers when most LA bailiff contracts require employees.