ukaviator

Would you give a debit card to an eight-year-old?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2526 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

From today, children as young as eight will be able to use a debit card to shop online. The prepaid Visa card can also be used in selected shops and to withdraw cash, although parents will be able to set controls. Is this a good idea?

Link:http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/poll/2012/nov/15/debit-card-eight-year-old

Some useful links.

FAQ's

Making Posts

Letter Template Library

Bank Contact Details

AQ Guide to Completion

Court Fees

Data Protection non Compliance

Witness Statements for Court Bundle

Banking Code Website

Limitations Act

Fast Track Costs

A-Z Index

Mis-Claim Tutorial

Step By Step Instructions

Remember: The Ark was built by amateurs-The Titanic by professionals.

Please click my scales if you find my advice helpful !

If your claim is successful, please donate 5% so that it can continue to help others.

Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

YOU CAN NOW COMPLAIN TO THE OFT ABOUT THEIR CONDUCT UNDER THE CONSUMER PROTECTION FROM UNFAIR TRADING REGULATIONS 2008.

when I looked at the link over *) were saying they would not give a debit card to an 8 year old.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

As long as I kept possession of the card and it was only used under supervision, yes I would. it's how the world works nowadays, and just like regular money it's never too early to start learning. I wouldn't have an 8 year old wandering round with one in their pocket, though.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Okay so a school bully grabs the 8 year old and demands that they draw cash otherwise they will be beaten up. 8 year old complies! IMHO it poses dangers for young children.

That's the exact reason I said only if it remained in my possession and didn't leave the house with the 8 year old. I agree that things like that could be a problem if kids are allowed to run round willy nIlly with them.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

It's not as if it is an open visa card,it will only have money there that has been added such as pocket money. Although i think 8 is too young it is down to the parents. Sadly there are far too many bad parents out there.

I also think that some kids may think that when they see mummy or daddy's card lying around it will be okay to use it as more than likely they will know the PIN number.

Make sure they know it's definitly not ok to use cards they find lying about! :)

actually, this is exactly the type of reason I think it's a good idea - it's the perfect opportunity to teach children about why it's important to keep your cards and pins secure and not to share them with anyone else.

Parents trust their children not to do wrong, but are they wrong if they use your card not knowing the consequences. A lot of kids probably are not very good with basic maths at that age never mind savvy and may spend the money buying junk because they can buy it. I think it is very irresponsible of the banks to issue to cards to any on under 16 years of age even if it is a pre-pay card. The next step is a credit card and debt and even more debt!

I am a traditionalist and IMHO you should not be able to get into debt until you had attained the age of 21. By the time you are 21 and have had to save money for your first car, you will be more money savvy and avoid the pitfalls of debt that a lot of us had to endure because debt was so easy.