Ongoing problems from obstructive HMRC regarding tax credits

Wicked_witch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That's the polite version of the title anyway! Some people I've spoken to have been great, but anyone actually able to influence what happens- forget it :-x

I'll try to give relevant details while keeping it short. At the end of August my son (18) decided not to take up the college course he'd been offered and to try and find work instead. He didn't have any luck and so enrolled into the course on the 4th October. We informed child benefit, who said they would tell tax credits.

We were told by 2 people at hmrc over the next 2 weeks that our claim had been reactivated and that payment would be confirmed any day. The third person we spoke to after still having received no paperwork or money said that we had to make a new claim and that there was no way the claim could have just been re-opened, due to the break in payments.

She gave us an address to send a complaint, we did so and also filled in and sent back the forms as soon as we received them. As the complaint took longer to look at than the forms, there was no chance of getting them processed as a priority. The claim has now been reopened and paid from the 1st of November, so they currently owe us about a further 4 weeks money to cover October.

However, we cannot get anyone to tell us when this will be paid and the supervisor I spoke to today insists that there is NO way she can contact the relevant department by phone (let alone us contacting them). Honestly, I really doubt this. We were told the complaints dept didn't have a phone number as well, but when they finally replied to us, guess what direct number was on the top of the letter?

There have also been mumblings about them spreading it through the rest of the year rather than giving a lump sum and this is no good for us, since we've had to borrow to cover bills and now need to pay the money back! Suppose I should explain here that my husband is disabled and I am his carer, so money is always strictly budgeted. No chance of overtime, credit card to tide us over or anything like that.

The complaints dept say they have no authority at all over how or when (or if!) the money is paid and we have to speak to the main department. The main department also claim to have no authority over this and no way whatsoever of contacting anyone who does, or even anyone who might know anyone who does.

tl:dr Tax credits owe us about £250, we need it in a lump sum and asap, how can we ensure this? Does anyone who's been through it have a useful phone number or email they can give us? really feeling desperate now after 7 weeks of constant misinformation. The complaints dept are even giving us £30 compensation, completely unasked, for the level of poor service we've had! So they know they've messed up.

Edited by Wicked_witch
Clarity (I hope!)