Registered address/insurance cover

DeaBea
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding insurance cover. My reason for asking the question is due to me not wishing to be accused of fraud.

My home address is in the North West of England and this is where my car is registered (log book). However, as I am in the Royal Navy I will be working and living (renting) for the majority of the year down in Portsmouth. As a result my car will pretty much be permanently located within the Naval base both day and night. I have therefore insured the car in the Portsmouth area and used the address of the Naval base for the insurance cover.

Is this allowed?

It may sound stupid but if I insure it at my address up North I will prob be in the same situation in the sense that the car is/will be in Portsmouth.

Not sure were i stand in the event of a claim ever coming to light. I.e. if they query my registered address being different to my insured address.

I am genuine and my question is to ensure I am covered. Just not sure if I am looking into a problem that does not exists.

Many thanks in advance

Dea

Edited by DeaBea

It's unlikely you'd be accused of fraud but it could stifle any attempts you make to claim under the policy or even lead to a charge of driving without adequate insurance if the insurance company felt you were not acting in good faith.

The easiest thing to do is ring or write to the potential new insurer and outline the facts as you have done here. They're unlikely to adjust the premiums so it's not worth chancing it.

The normal requirement is disclose the address where the car is normally kept, that would be the base in this case, and since it is not a public street that should help your premium.

I also suggest you DO NOT use online quote sites, use an insurance Broker and fully disclose, i.e. explain the situation to them.

There is nothing particularly unusual about your situation, so in essence is not a problem for the insurance company.

I used to run and insurer several driving school cars which had me as the RK and policy held at my address, but for each car I also had to declare the main driver (the instructor) and the location the car was NORMALLY parked. My quote was based on the actual parking location risk factor rather then my house.

Declare the facts to your insurance company as you have stared here and the quote will be based on those correct details. You would like to think the quote would be lower as the car is in secure navy protection, but remembering we are talking insurance companies here, it'll proberly go up coz they'll build in the hyperthetical possibility that the navy yard has a 1 in a zillion chance of being nuked if we go to war with aliens!!! :razz:

Hi everyone and thanks for the feedback.

In the past it was straightforward as I informed the relevant companies of my situation. The car was insured at the relevant address where kept and my paperwork was posted to my registered keeper address so back then all was simple and no grey areas. However, this time round I tried the same approach and they appeared to be fine on the phone so I went with it. But I later found out that they no longer post your insurance cover but email it only. As I want to be covered legally and have no come backs at a later date, I thought I would try and get some feedback from others - so thank you to everyone. The way my insurance was dealt with in the past, the insurance company could not have claimed they did not know my situation given the fact they posted the insurance to my RK address. Only now, you declare where the car is kept in the day and at night. I think they should have additional information to fill such as the RK address to avoid any grey areas.

I have since found out that the registered address is meant to be more for DVLA and the police - speeding tickets, fines, road tax etc.

I just got a bit worried as some people insure cars at a given address to avoid paying large premiums and I can see that being dodgy and poss fraud. However, my reason was genuine and I just needed the re-assurances that I would not be viewed in the same way as others.

Thanks

Dea.

The bad news is that Pompey is considered a fairly high risk area by the insurance companies, so you may have to pay an extra premium. They will probably charge you for the change of details too.

The answer may depend on how long the policy has to run - if it is only 2 or 3 months then I would let sleeping dogs lie and make the change at renewal.