1st Credit/Cabot Finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Several years ago I got into pretty bad debt with a number of credit cards. One of these was an Aqua Mastercard. The debt was taken over by 1st Credit who pestered me with letters. The existing balance was £2537.82 and the settlement figure was £1903.50 paid on the 8 March 2010. You would've thought this was a satisfactory conclusion .... but I recently was sorting out some old papers and came across correspondence from Cabot Financial saying that they had taken over a debt on an Aqua card I'd had and that they would be prepared to accept £560 in settlement. I paid this amount in May 2011 not realising at that time that the debt had been supposedly settled with 1st Credit in 2010.

I have in effect been chased by two different DCAs for the same credit card! I am assuming the £560 Cabot got is more or less the difference between the original amount owed and the settlement amount 1st Credit got.

Am I right in believing that when I paid 1st Credit the agreed settlement figure that should've been the end of it? Can I get the money I paid to Cabot back and how?

When a full and final settlement is made you need it in writing that the account has been cleared and they or no-on else will pursue you for the remainder.

When you have accepted their offer, they can sell the remainder off to other leaches until the above is done.

• Confused 1

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thank you for your reply... I didn't get a letter confirming "full and final settlement" from 1st Credit surprise surprise!! I just have an "authorisation code" nothing else. I did, however get a confirmation letter from Cabot which I still have. I suppose that is some small comfort. Again many thanks for the clarification.

The answer to your question is no - I don't have any of the original paperwork/letters etc At the time all this originally manifested itself I was embroiled in a legal case with my then employers plus other dire financial problems and I passed all the paperwork in my possession to my solicitor who no longer is in practice. So I doubt I can glean anything there. Thank you for your interest.

You could always SAR the original lender. They will send you notice of any charges.

And also (possibly) evidence of your F&F offer - and acceptance thereof. If so your complaint is with the original lender - for the amount the latest creditor is claiming.