Amdathlonuk

garage trying to claim for repairing part exchange?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2521 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

My wife and I agreed to purchase a car from a garage.

After we test drove the new vehicle we gave the garage owner the key to our old car for him to review it.

He looked it over but chose not to drive it.

We arranged to collect our new car 5days later.

We went to collect as arranged and were dealt with by another employee as the owner wasn't in. After we exchanged signed contracts and handed over the cash we thought the deal was done.

However the employee asked a colleague to test drive our vehicle, he came back stating an ABS light was on and the Engine Management light, which was correct.

The employee asked if the original guy we saw 5 days at knew about it, I said I wasn't sure but that we did give him the key to look at our car.

The employee said fine and we shook hands and left.

That was 10 days ago.

They have now rung me up today and said they've had the lights reset but they keep coming back on so they're going to have to charge me for the repairs.

Can they do this?

defo NO!, deal done.

but I expect they wont be too keen to help you out with the new car if it goes wrong. but they will have to. ( soga ) etc.

As above - no but don't be afraid to take you car to him should you have a problem that wasn't mentioned or would be obvious on testing/viewing.