style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2527 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A line in my job description reads as follows:

"Work flexible hours on occasions where the needs of the service users require this"

To me you can interpet this to mean:

a. I am expected to do overtime if required.

b. I am expected to change my start and finish times but still do the allocated 7.5 hours if required.

c. A and B.

Also, what does occasional actually mean?

I am supposed o finish at 4.30 but am currently finishing later than that 2/3 times a week out of 4 days. I get the time off to cover this but do i have a right to leave at 4.30 or am i duty bound to work later due to list item a?

A and B

"not every day"

you should get reasonable notice of overtime. If you aren;t happy however a quiet calm conversation is the place to start.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

A and B

"not every day"

you should get reasonable notice of overtime. If you aren;t happy however a quiet calm conversation is the place to start.

Emmzzi:

I've already had the quiet conversation. I've been told "you must be flexible as it's in your job description".

Others, who work unitl 3.30pm, are down the road by 3.31pm.

do they have kids or elderly parents to look after maybe? If they are all on family friendly it doesn't give the boss much flex.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

sure. but lots of people without kids have caring responsibilities.

Does it say in your contract you do x hrs per week/month/year or does it say hours as needed?

TBH I would think it means different days and times, such as evenings. Who are the service users?

My contract says i work 30 hours per week 8.30 - 4.30 Mon - Thu in a day centre.

I would say it means you're be expected to work a reasonable amount of extra time if business needs require it. You're talking around an extra hour over the course of a 30 hour working week, which I think is reasonable.

If the working conditions are otherwise good, and if on occasions where you do need to get away at 4.30 sharp you're generally able to do so, I wouldn't take it any further. You could push to find out exactly what is required, but then you might find it creates a worse working atmosphere, e.g. the manager might start to question any time you take for teabreaks or spend speaking to colleagues. Its not really worth making an issue over I would advise.

Sad to say I tend to agree. Although I understand the business needs for flexible working, it has become an opportunity for businesses to save on costs and get more out of their staff and if you argue you are told.."there are lots of other people who would do it" and sadly there are