Newly signed shorthold tenancy - i want to cancel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just moved my family to another rented property with an assured shorthold agreement.

We left the older property due to the landlords lack of response to repair requests (namely central heating) after 3 years.

We really liked the new house as it is very very private and quiet. However, it had been empty for 4 years as it is attached to the landlords business and they now live in a new build.

After the initial viewing (we were the first) we requested that certain work and repairs were carried out before we moved in. When we got the keys we found that no work had been done. The house needed cleaning from top to bottom, was very damp (massive wet patches in childs bedroom) and had mould growing. We cleaned and moved in, I spent 5 hours cleaning the oven to find that it didnt work (still doesnt).

We have pestered the letting agent to get the repairs done as there is a few, but its a slow process, the feed back we are getting is that the landlord does not want to spend any money.

My question is, after 2 weeks can I cancel the agreement, the paperwork I have doesnt mention anything about tenants handing in notice...?

We have found another property to move to.

No you cannot vacate until end of fixed term, as you have taken possession of property.

Even if you moved out you remai liable for rent & property security eg burst pipes

Only option is to negotiate mutual early release with LL (possibly with threat of inviting EHO inspection)

You may have asked for certain repairs before moving in and LL may have agreed, but unless in writing. what evidence do you have?