Equita chasing me for council tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

don't know if I'm posting in the right place, but,

I'm being chased by baliffs for £800 council tax debt from my last property, that I swear I paid. Off. Even if I didn't (or more likely that I can't prove it) can they still chase me, it was 8 years ago?

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If this is an old property then you may not have received the Final Notice or the reminder at your new address and you just telephone the council to ask the council to roll back the case to pre-enforcment stage and that stops the bailiffs.

You can then sort out with the council whether you actually owe the money

If this is an old property then you may not have received the Final Notice or the reminder at your new address and you just telephone the council to ask the council to roll back the case to pre-enforcment stage and that stops the bailiffs.

You can then sort out with the council whether you actually owe the money

Thats brilliant thank you i will do that.

TB Law....the info given above by you is not only incorrect but is of concern because, based on your advice Nina S is given false hope.

Council Tax legislation provides that a "final notice" needs only to be sent to the "last known address". Apart from taking the matter to the Court of Appeal there is no provision to "roll back " the case to "pre-enforcement" stage. To do so, would require cancellation of a Liability Order. This will almost certainly NOT be achieved by ringing the council.

By all means, Nina S should call the local authority....but I would be very surprised indeed if they agreed to "roll back" this Liability Order.

You will find that unless evidence to the contrary is proved, the taxpayer can ask the council to cease enforcement action.

Nina cannot 'roll back' the liability order itself because there is no such procedure for this. The procedure is to quash a Liability order under Section 82 of the Local Government Act 2003 but Nina does not need to do this until she has discussed with the council whether she actually owes the money.

You will find that unless evidence to the contrary is proved, the taxpayer can ask the council to cease enforcement action.

Nina cannot 'roll back' the liability order itself because there is no such procedure for this. The procedure is to quash a Liability order under Section 82 of the Local Government Act 2003 but Nina does not need to do this until she has discussed with the council whether she actually owes the money.

Problem with this is that bailiffs are now involved, and if it is Equita, Capita may be involved with the council, as backoffice, so Nina will have to go to the top so to speak, and be prepared to issue Formal complaints to CEO, leader, and MP

Which council is this Nina? so we can ascertain whether there is a Capquita stitch up there. Only the council can apply to quosh the liability order, but will be reluctant to call the dogs off without proof.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

If the council of the contractor is non cooperative then Nina makes a written formal complaint and it will be investigated.

Which is what was suggested, if it is a Capquita council, the Formal Complaint would be a definite and essential option.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Section 82 of the Local Government Act 2003 allows for the "quashing" of a Liability Order. Evidence would need to be provided by Nina that she had paid the debt before an LO had been issued.

This section does not however allow an LO to be cancelled if notices had been sent to a wrong address.