Equality - reducing hours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am one of a team of 7 and have been on the team since it was first set up some 3 years ago (I have been with this nationally recognised company for almost 5 years in total). My line manager came to the job about a year ago. There are two part time members on the team. One works 4 days per week and has been with the team from the start. The other was recruited by my line manager about 7 months ago she is part time 3 days per week. In August due to personal issues which only my line manager and head manager are aware of I requested to reduce my hours to 3 days per week.

It was agreed that I could go part time but that I cannot stay in my current job role The solution was offered that I could transfer back to the original job role that I had (same pay). My objective at the time was to reduce my hours and I still feel that if it means going back to my old job then that's the way it has to be. I reduced my hours in September but keep having my transfer to my old job postponed whilst decisions I presume are being made about recruitment etc. I have not been kept informed by my line manager on what is happening. I have told my manager that I would be very happy to stay in my current job role and have good relations with my colleagues and know my work inside out.

However in a team meeting the other day I was told in front of everyone that I would be transferring to my old job in January and they would interview for a full time post to replace me.

I feel as though I have been treated unfairly. I have not been given any of the business reasons for why I cannot remain in my current role. My line manager is unapproachable, in the past she has reduced colleagues to tears with her manner.

My colleagues have expressed surprise to me, but not to her that I cannot remain on the team on part time hours and another manager said in confidence to me, that they could accommodate me if they wanted to. Before I requested part time hours my manager spoke in general of recruiting another person as the workload was increasing so why do I need to be taken off the team?

I would appreciate any advice.

Is it possible that the business has decided that the role that you were doing HAS to be a full time position, and this is the reason that you have not been able to stay in your current role on reduced hours?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yes that could be the simple answer but like I say I have not been given the reasons for not being able to stay on the team part time. I guess I will just have to request another wonderful meeting with my oh so professional team leader to find that out. Believe me when I say that my workplace is not transparent and open with its employees, definitely a case of managers rule and what they say goes. Like it or lump it. All I know is that if I was a manager I would keep my staff informed and try to make them feel valued and understood. I would hate to think my actions or lack of proactive planning would have a detrimental effect on the happiness of an employee. Soapbox :)