georgina30

Council tax and Rossendales - £120 for ONE visit! - adding execessve fees?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2527 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some friendly advice regarding a thoroughly unpleasant position I find myself in :(

I'm a single female living on my own in a rented property.

When I returned home from work yesterday I spotted that the garden gates were open, which was odd,

but then on my doormat I found a very intimidating letter from Rossendales bailifs.

There was no monetary amount on the letter, just a handwritten "1xWarrant" and a reference to an outstanding council tax bill at a cottage I rented some 18months ago.

This is the first I've heard of this.

I contacted the owners of the cottage as when I left, a condition of returning the deposit was that the council tax was up to date, I presented her a receipt of that at the time.

She confirmed that as far as she was aware the council tax was up to date and the new tenants had not received any mail from the council saying otherwise.

in short, I assumed everything was in order.

then I called the council,

who informed me that as I'd vacated the cottage in the middle of the following month,

there had actually been a two week overlap and I was liable for that two weeks.

Fair enough I said, what do I owe you, "£511" was the reply.

Bearing in mind the tax at the cottage was around £120 a month, I was slightly taken aback.

The man at the council refused to give me a break down of the £511, saying that the debt had been "sold" to rossendales and I would need to deal with them.

He did let slip that the majority of the charge was rossendales, and yesterdays visit had cost me £120.

I asked why the council had not contacted me before letting it escalate so far.

He insisted they had sent me a letter in January, and even called in to my place of work

and they had decided I was actively trying to avoid them.

This simply isn't true,

I still live in the same area,

I have been paying my council tax as normal,

going to work as normal and opening my mail as normal.

I work in a small office, a "visit" would not have gone un-noticed, and neither would a letter??

I'm at a loss of what to do,

the council are accusing me of being dishonest and have wiped their hands of me.

I'm frankly terrified of opening a dialogue with rossendales,

but I'm even more terrified of them visiting again when I'm actually home.

What do you think is my best way forward??

Georgina

Hi G

welcome along

firstly you need get some info:

if you can/need to pay you should be paying the council

direct via your internet banking site

never ever pay a bailiff.

you need to do these two things:

start by sending this to the bailiff co. it can done by e-mail also send it to the council this will tell us when the fees were added

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme bailiff Co

bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were certificated at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject access request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Also always advisable to ask the Council.

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

sad to see yet again

its rossendales

chancing their arm on speulative charges

they think they can get away with.

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Start an immediate complaint with the council, and inform your local MP and local councillors whose email addresses can be found http://www.writetothem.com/

If rossers turn up again DO NOT let them in to your house, when you go out please ensure all doors and windows are locked.

If the council fails to take back responsibility of this then you can escalate this to the LGO http://www.lgo.org.uk/making-a-complaint/

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you Bazzoka. I am indeed keeping all windows and doors locked at the moment, but he had clearly been in the back garden... horrible. I have my elderly father coming to stay with me over christmas and it simply wouldn't be fair of me to expect him to deal with a visit from a bailiff, that would be awfull. Ultimately if that is likely to happen I will just have to pay them what they want..

NO!!

you need to confirm WHAT you owe

do as above.

a bailiff can do nowt if you do not speak or let them in.

if you do talk

go outside shut the door lock it

and film him

might be an idea to browse a few threads in this forum

there are lots regarding rossers and their 'speculative' fees.

if he has only been ONCE

thats £18!!

dx

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Pay the Council £100, and get them to give you the correct amount, following DX's advice at post #2 most of this will be speculative and potentially unlawful fees added by dossendales, and are likely challengeable.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Ok, good. So I'll pay the council £100 now, I'll do that online. This afternoon I'll email Rossendales and the council requesting the above information.

Many thanks :)

Ok, good. So I'll pay the council £100 now, I'll do that online. This afternoon I'll email Rossendales and the council requesting the above information.

Many thanks :)

paying in something shows you are a will pay what is owed, but won't pay excessive and possibly wrongful fees set by their dodgy bailiffs for whom they are 100% liable, as in they cannot "sell" the debt to dossers, they retain control and can pull it back at any time. make sure you issue a Formal Complaint also, to council CEO, leader, copied to your MP.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

With being told that the amount owed is over £500 for a part month of council tax when the OP rang the council it sounds like the council might be outsourcing their back office staffing to a company who, in turn, also own certain bailiff company's!!

You definitely need to find out what tim liability amount is not what they now say you owe. At least then you have an idea how much you actually owe in part council tax and for the liability action by the council and how much has been added by the bailiff company!!

Feebee_71

thats £18!!

dx

The first visit is £24.50.

The second one is £18.

:)

Adding something like £400 to the original bill seems rather high even allowing for Rossendale's creativity with their fees. Indeed the guy at the Council said that the bailiff charge for that

visit was £120 which means that earlier had already been added. As they haven't left any other letters with you, it is not unreasonable to suppose that they initially went to your previous address.

So when writing to Rossendales, ask them for a copy of the Warrant to see to where it is addressed. If they have not updated the address, they are trespassing when they come to your present

property. Nor can they charge for previous visits to your old address.If all you have from them is that one letter, then they have not claimed to have levied on anything belonging to you which makes it

rather difficult for them to have run up such a large bill.

Yes I think that is whats bothering me most. That one letter is all I have, I can only assume that the previous correspondance has gone to my old address. The new tenant there has not forwarded anything on to myself or the landlord.. but that is their right.. and that is assuming they have actually received anything. It just seems terribly unfair to have run up these charges and sent a bailiff round without contacting me first. I've made no attempt to "hide", surely they would have had my address details from the fact I was paying council tax at my new home?

Im busily composing an email to our local council member, and to their recovery department. I'm hoping for them to reset back to the original council tax bill, that would seem fair to me but I don't know how realistic that is..

I would hazard a guess that the Bailiff has visited your old addresss on more than 1 occasion and is deriving the majority of his fee from that, including a probable levy on a fictitious vehicle that happened along - always wondered what happened to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. His £120 fee for his recent visit will be his "Van" fee. It is most important you ask the Council for the details dx100 posed in Post 2 as they will have added approx £80 - £150 to what was owing for the costs of the Liability Order, you should do this before making any payment then add £42-50 to cover possible Bailiff fees, if you have then overpaid you may claim it back.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]