• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA PPI Award “Interpretative” Calculations?

AfterMidnight
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

While we may all be individuals with related problems (and take a moment to think of the multitudes who simply accepted MBNA on their word) - I feel it may be approaching time for a group letter (or similar request one anyway) from us all simply asking the question of "why has no-one at the service in the last two or three years appeared to have understood why people might complain about MBNA's methodology, and can they really state that anyone has taken time to truly understand what has been happening with it". If there was a study (at FOS, not an external one they can dismiss) which analysed the procedures (they have had enough guidance) and came up with a reasoned, independent-of-MBNA, and in-depth view that concluded "different but fair" it would at least give something to discuss, as opposed to the less than reassuring "Nah, without going into detail beyond boiler-plate guideline reporting, we think, on advice from MBNA, that it is likely all fine".

Now that is an excellent plan; let's do it!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An update on my position. As I thought my FOS adjudicator has not listened nor understood my protestations, as I have just received the following:-

"Dear Grumpy

I’m writing in response to your letter dated 21 September 2015, and the further information you’ve supplied, which I’ve added to your complaint. I’m sorry for the delay sending you my reply.

Following my email on 30 September below, I’ve looked at the letters you’ve sent me and the comments you’ve made in your letter of the 21 September. You’ve said that you feel I’ve been hasty in referring your complaint to an ombudsman.

I wanted to explain why I feel this is the most appropriate action on your complaint. I’ve looked at the information you’ve provided but it doesn’t change my opinion of your complaint. And so I feel an ombudsman would be best placed to address your concerns.

You’ve asked me to continue my investigation and answer the queries you’ve raised before you give me your final response to my opinion. But since you’ve told me that you disagree with my opinion, the next step you can take is to ask for an ombudsman to review the complaint if you want us to continue looking into the matter.

Should the ombudsman consider it necessary for additional responses before issuing his/her final decision, they may choose to make a provisional finding and invite you to give us further comment or information. However, that is down to the ombudsman reviewing the case and it would wrong for me to direct the ombudsman’s investigation.

I’ve attached a letter which explains what will happen next. Both yourself and MBNA have 21 days to provide any further information you would like to be considered by the ombudsman. If you think you will need more time, please let me know.

Should you have any further queries, please get back in touch with me.

Yours sincerely

M H - adjudicator (redress)

Financial Ombudsman Service"

Pretty much the same response I have had, MS is not going to look at the revised offer or any my documentation supporting MBNA's new restated payments.

Either this is a good thing, its not working at Adjudicator level and MBNA will be brought to task or we are about to be royally screwed with a tepid Ombudsman review.

I am about ready for a group letter . Getting fed up now. Spoke to my adjudicator some weeks ago and he said that he wouldn't be long getting back to me as he had all the info required . I'm still waiting !

GS

Ps could one of the mods have a look to see why I do not get notifications on this thread. Thanks

I am about ready for a group letter . Getting fed up now. Spoke to my adjudicator some weeks ago and he said that he wouldn't be long getting back to me as he had all the info required . I'm still waiting !

GS

Ps could one of the mods have a look to see why I do not get notifications on this thread. Thanks

We hope to get together a 'Group Letter' soon!

Looking at this for you now.

Have you looked at THREAD TOOLS above the first post of each page. If it reads SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD, click it.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

From my MP

As promised I have written to Ms Caroline Wayman, Chief Executive of the Financial Ombudsman Service, about the concerns you have raised. I have asked Ms Wayman what steps the FOS are taking to ensure that there is equity between different organisations’ redress calculation methods and specifically if they will investigate MBNA’s calculation method.

Hi slick132

Sorry didn't realise you had posted

Have you looked at THREAD TOOLS above the first post of each page. If it reads SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD, click it.

Yes - it asks me if I want to unsubscribe......I didn't get a notification about our post but did get a notification of Miaspa's last post. Strange

Thank you

GS

Edited by slick132
Sorted format of quote

From my MP

As promised I have written to Ms Caroline Wayman, Chief Executive of the Financial Ombudsman Service, about the concerns you have raised. I have asked Ms Wayman what steps the FOS are taking to ensure that there is equity between different organisations’ redress calculation methods and specifically if they will investigate MBNA’s calculation method.

Pretty concise - 100 of those to Caroline's desk would be a good thing. AMN

Hi GS,

No idea why that happened but good that it's ok now :wink:

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Lol ! didnt get notified of this one - obviously doesn't like me !

On another note has anyone seen the MBNA advert on tv where they admit to be "number nerds" and are very good at all that number stuff - all to their own advantage of course1

https://www.youtube.com/user/mbna

It struck me as a bit arrogant and patronising !

GS

Caggers – what’s the situation if you get a refund from MBNA, bank it, then realise you may have been short changed?

Simple, write to them requesting a recalculation explaining that after obtaining advice your PPI redress refund is incorrect.

You will not be alone in doing this!

Caggers – what’s the situation if you get a refund from MBNA, bank it, then realise you may have been short changed?

I have no idea, in an ideal world a reworking of anyone who has had an offer under V20 or its derivatives would be forced on MBNA by the FSA, FCA or whatever they are calling themselves this week.

Write to your MP, say you have received redress from MBNA but in light of Jonqil Lowes paper and the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33567564 you request your MP writes to Ms Wayman with the following or something similar.

As AMN has said 100 MP's asking the same question can't be ignored. We'll get a standard boilerplate response but lets get Ms Wayman to put her 250K a year job on the line.

Conventional advice used to be that banking a cheque was not worth it as could be seen as an admission of acceptance. However, since MBNA complaints seem to take at least 2 or 3 years plus, and a cheque is valid for six months perhaps - there can be little arguing (IMHO) that taking it as a partial payment is/was the correct thing to do. You may have recognised that it seemed low at the time and have taken the time to understand why your gut feeling was shared, and discover yourself that the mechanics of affecting factors within calculations had been worked on by other people. It takes a very-long-time for anyone at all (even after passing hurdle of awareness/motivation) to fully appreciate what has been done here. If anyone had been aware, at time, of possible underpayments they could have written to MBNA with a "without prejudice acceptance of partial payment". Can't see it doing any harm to issue that at any point really, particularly if one has complained to the firm on the issue at any point in the past or intends to do so (then wait, then join consecutive FOS queues).

AMN

AMN and Miaspa2010,

if the MBNA PPI redress has been incorrectly calculated, the customer must go back and request a recalculation!

I myself, went back to them because the calculation was wrong and; even to this day monies remain due and owing.

Several other members have cases lodged with the FOS due to same.

Thanks folks, useful. In my case, the MBNA refund was almost identical to the Barclaycard refund – but it should not have been. I ran double the balance with MBNA, so I would have expected a much greater refund.

I shall get writing – exhaust the MBNA route first, of course.

I also forgot to ask MBNA for refunds of excessive overlimiit charges (£25 vs £12), yet Barclaycard did it automatically. Weird.

Thanks folks, useful. In my case, the MBNA refund was almost identical to the Barclaycard refund – but it should not have been. I ran double the balance with MBNA, so I would have expected a much greater refund.

I shall get writing – exhaust the MBNA route first, of course.

I also forgot to ask MBNA for refunds of excessive overlimiit charges (£25 vs £12), yet Barclaycard did it automatically. Weird.

If, MBNA conveniently forgot to include refunds of late fees & overlimit fees, they have no wriggle room...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27679311

• 4 weeks later...

A response to my MP from Caroline Wayman.

Thank you for your letter regarding your constituent Miaspa 2010 and his complaint about MBNA.

I know that Miaspa 2010 is concerned about MBNA’s approach to PPI redress and you’ve asked about our role in reviewing how banks calculate compensation in PPI cases.

Our role is to look into individual cases to decide whether consumers have been treated fairly by a financial business. And where we find that they have not, we can direct the business to put things right for the consumer.

We have a well-publicised approach setting out how we think businesses should calculate fair compensation for mis-sold PPI policies, which is consistent with the regulator’s guidance. Generally speaking, we expect businesses – who hold the most accurate data in relation to historic payments and interest rates – to calculate the amount of compensation the consumer is owed. But where customers tell us they’re not sure if their compensation has been calculated fairly, we will look to see if the business’s calculations are fair taking into account the consumer’s circumstances and our recognised approach.

When calculating compensation for mis-sold PPI complaints it’s sometimes necessary for businesses to make assumptions about what happened – where it’s uncertain what the actual position was (often due to the absence of records for sales in the past). But where a consumer is able to provide evidence that suggests the situation might be different to what the business has assumed – as it seems Miaspa 2010 has done in this case – we’d usually expect that to be taken into account by the business, when calculating its offer.

As you’re no doubt aware, we don’t regulate businesses – this comes under the remit of the Financial Conduct Authority. But we do engage in regular discussions with the regulator and – where necessary – share the details of more widespread issues we might see.

Rest assured, Miaspa 2010 case has been passed to one of our ombudsmen – who are our most senior decision makers – to review completely afresh. The ombudsman will consider everything provided by both Miaspa 2010 and MBNA when she makes her decision, to ensure any compensation is fair and reasonable

Lets see what the new year brings, a Merry Christmas to everyone who's contributed to this thread.

Thanks Miaspa 2010 re: "A response to my MPlink3.gif from Caroline Wayman.".

A bit more open there than I might expect, and you have a gender identification there perhaps for your Ombudsperson. As you say ... lets see what the new year brings. If cases do start "hitting" an Ombudsman soon (wouldn't want to drop a paper version of my submission on my foot!), I feel it is probably important that we have shared what we can to make cases as strong as possible - as FOS treat everyone without accumulating anything much in way of wisdom gained from looking at similar cases, or even under the broadly same issue with a particular company.

While copies of JL's paper included in everyone's file won't exactly do any harm, I have been thinking about something related to one of the difficult points that has been identified by CW there for us - "where a consumer is able to provide evidence that suggests the situation might be different ".

While CW's quote is restricted to meaning, I strongly guess, to state where a complainant's circumstances have been misconstrued by identifiable firm's wrong assumptions - it does raise a very related difficulty most folks have - in that "might be different" could also apply to method. But different as in - well, to what ... MBNA have all the data and are not exactly clear and forthcoming in how they do it, strangely enough. In addition to JL's work, I know that other people who do not have a claim themselves have an informed and analysed view on MBNA's method. While some might be claims-firms, ... there is work from one mathematically-disposed independent thinker of my internet acquaintance who had a view when asked - that I reckon may be worth sharing here, so that people can then take what they can from it for themselves. I am reviewing these findings myself, seeing how the analysis works for my own claim, iterating a bit in conversation, and plan to post up a worked example of what he has discovered over time in way of mechanics ... although I am myself finding Christmas prep things getting in way a bit.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas too ... and also have a very strong new year's resolution. I think it is time to make sure we have all presented our strongest possible clear cases for what an alternative calculation would be - using our collected knowledge from here - and anywhere else possible - of what the firm have actually been up to. When this analysis/spreadsheet I refer to is posted with comments, I would be very interested in hearing how his spread-sheeted "this is what they seem to do" matches up with direct experience of values produced from MBNA. And ... also the alternative sheet that suggests "this is what it appears they should have done." A work in progress - in that I would like to make sure I have had a good enough play-around myself with it before posting. Best wishes to all for 2016!

• 3 weeks later...

From MBNA press release 5th June 2014

Not all credit card fees and charges are the same between issuers and there are aspects of MBNA’s fees and charges and the way they are charged (or not charged) which are highly relevant to whether MBNA might be liable to refund them. For example, our system operates so that the cost of PPI is only applied after the customer has gone over limit and after the over limit fee has been applied. As such, PPI could never cause our customers to be over limit or cause the fee to be applied.”

MNBA response to my enquiry to why over limit fee has been refunded 14th January 2016

“Without PPI being charged in February 2005, the non-PPI balance up to the over limit fee would have remained below the credit limit, therefore subtracting the over limit fee from the non-PPI balance also meant that when PPI was applied at statement end for March 2005, that is what took the balance over the credit limit and therefore had over limit been charged at that point it would have been caused by PPI

Can I ask MBNA to retract there press release?