Me and Various Benefits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When all said and done, the government have just moved the goal posts so they can get more people off benefit.

Someone has just informed me on another thread that PIP is going to be a lot more difficult to get especially for those who claim "a bad back, or arthritis etc"

Personally I think that it is the right way for it to go. I know it will mean that some, like my dad, who won't be able to get an award but is genuine. It should remove those that say they can't walk. It seems that they will now have to be permanent wheelchair users or a mixture of physical and severe mental illness.

I do know a few that purport to be unable to walk that do receive DLA on that basis, yet seem quite fit when out and about in the village either going to and from the pub or out just shopping. Not forgetting the ones that take the dog out twice a day and are fit enough to run around with it on the green opposite our home.

How do I know that they claim DLA for mobility - simple really. It is only a small village and most people know everybody's in's and out's. Plus you only have to look at the tax disc in their cars which show 'NIL - Disabled'.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When all said and done, the government have just moved the goal posts so they can get more people off benefit.

You could say there going back in time

Think it's was around end of 1980's the old Mobility allowance was changed to DLA "self assessment" by Maggie Thatcher government.

Before that under the old Mobility allowance you Had to have a Medical 1st before Mobility allowance was paid,from next year No medical No PIP...

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Think it's was around end of 1980's the old Mobility allowance was changed to DLA "self assessment" by Maggie Thatcher government.

Before that under the old Mobility allowance you Had to have a Medical 1st before Mobility allowance was paid,from next year No medical No PIP...

Yes,I remember my gran going for her assessment. The assessment room was at the top of a short flight of stairs, no lift. When she explained how difficult stairs were for her, she was told that if she didn't go up for the assessment, she wouldn't get anything. So she spent ages literally crawling up the steps, one step at a time, crying by the time she got to the top, went into the assessment room......and the doctor told her she made it up the stairs so no mobility benefit.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Someone has just informed me on another thread that PIP is going to be a lot more difficult to get especially for those who claim "a bad back, or arthritis etc"

Personally I think that it is the right way for it to go. I know it will mean that some, like my dad, who won't be able to get an award but is genuine. It should remove those that say they can't walk. It seems that they will now have to be permanent wheelchair users or a mixture of physical and severe mental illness.

I do know a few that purport to be unable to walk that do receive DLA on that basis, yet seem quite fit when out and about in the village either going to and from the pub or out just shopping. Not forgetting the ones that take the dog out twice a day and are fit enough to run around with it on the green opposite our home.

How do I know that they claim DLA for mobility - simple really. It is only a small village and most people know everybody's in's and out's. Plus you only have to look at the tax disc in their cars which show 'NIL - Disabled'.

I've got a bad back and arthritus (broken back and screws in legs as well as cronic heart desease), and along with manual wheel chair users will no longer be able to leave my home without relying on others.

If more people like you had reported all those you know are milking the system instead of just moaning about them and taring all others with the same brush, then perhaps the government would not be punishing the disabled for their errors. Come to think of it, that wouldn't have made any difference, they would have found another excuse to cut benefits like saying the country has no money then cutting taxes for the rich.

Not all motability cars have nill disabled Tax discs, I used to pay for the tax on my motability car and use the disabled tax disc for my S Class Merc ;)

I've got a bad back and arthritus (broken back and screws in legs as well as cronic heart desease), and along with manual wheel chair users will no longer be able to leave my home without relying on others.

If more people like you had reported all those you know are milking the system instead of just moaning about them and taring all others with the same brush, then perhaps the government would not be punishing the disabled for their errors. Come to think of it, that wouldn't have made any difference, they would have found another excuse to cut benefits like saying the country has no money then cutting taxes for the rich.

Not all motability cars have nill disabled Tax discs, I used to pay for the tax on my motability car and use the disabled tax disc for my S Class Merc ;)

Thanks

I am not 'moaning' about others, I am just saying that there are some that do abuse the DLA system.

If they get away with it, what is it to do with me or my family come to think of it.

We already have enough of the 'curtain twitchers' in the village who seem to take pleasure in complaining about children playing on the green and making a noise!

At the end of the day one of your cars has a disabled tax disc on it - it doesn't really matter which one.

My point was that it is about time that they toughened up on the criteria for DLA and certainly the mobility aspect.

And while we are on the subject of DLA/PIP, it surprises me no end to hear of a case where friend's of my mum and dad who both claim Attendance Allowance. have their children as their carers and claim benefits for it. How on earth they manage that considering that the daughter lives in Devon (250 miles away) and the son in Edinburgh (450 miles away) yet the parents are always saying that they do not see their children from one month to the next!! How that works I don't know.

I care for both my parents and they only live 4 houses away and it takes me hours every week just to make sure that they are OK.

My goodness, della2, you seem to know a lot of people who've done dodgy things on benefits. Come to think of it, we've had quite a few new members passing through recently who also knew a lot of people who ... etc ... :???:

And come to think of it Della, you sound like a Cager named Achvour who also lived in a nosey village like yourself.

Well it suited the government of the time to get people off the unemployment figures as they were going through the roof.

The big difference is we had the money from North Sea Oil to pay for it all.

We still manage to find enough to pay for all the pensions for the MPs though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am posting on behalf of a friend. He had a major stroke (44 year's old) a few months ago, he applied for DLA, mobility and care (no professional helped him with the form,just me).

He has been refused for both because his consultant and GP's letters enclosed contradict his original claim in the sense of his mobility and care needs......

Although, the consultant has confirmed he still have restricted/loss of sensation down one side, other than that she is saying he is making good progress.....

In hindsight, i wished i hadnt help complete the forms and let a professional apply (as i guess its down to the "wording" and how you phrase things).....the GP literally see him for 5 mins, made a few notes (she has never seen him before as a patient) and my friend stupidly is in denial with how well he has recovered and exaggerated to the consultant how he is coping etc (through pride!!).....

The consultant has stipulated that he is still in rehabilitation, needs further tests (to find cause of stroke) and the GP continues to issue monthly medical certificate for his condition,noted as "under rehabilitation" for ESA......

We have two and half weeks left to submit a review (or go to tribunal i think it means) and we are panicking where to turn......

Is there an organisation that can help us very quickly, to submit this review, who is experienced in this field and could perhaps "word" the form appropriately......would you suggest the "disabability law service" or the "stroke organisation? or somewherelse?

What were the reasons he was turned down? One problem might be (and I am no expert; but this is the impression I get) might be that his needs may not last the whole 6 months. I say this as you said the consultant said he's making progress.

The Stroke Association should have information on DLA.

...there is just so much contradiction in the letter, regarding his mobilty and care needs. examples:

1 Despite us stating the original form he cannot prepare and cook his own meal and the consultan confirming he has weakness on one side

2.He is suffering from severe mood swings,depression but DLA says he is not.

3.He cannot walk very far (stated in original application), but DLA says he can, despite GP or consultant not confirming this aspect of the claim

Unfortunately, until your friend is willing to be honest about his restrictions with his doctors and rehab staff, he is unlikely to be awarded DLA, or have appropriate rehab.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Unfortunately, until your friend is willing to be honest about his restrictions with his doctors and rehab staff, he is unlikely to be awarded DLA, or have appropriate rehab.

Yes, i agree! I have explained the importance of putting pride aside to get the appropriate help in all aspects.......

• 5 weeks later...

I am confused over this new housing benefit change for under 35's.

Here is my position:

1.I am 34 (35 in June 2012)

2.Renting in the private sector

3.HB claim commenced end of Nov 2011

4.I recieve the full one bed rate

According to the change that took effect from Jan 2012 (i have not even recieved any notification), am I right in thinking that on the anniversay of my claim (i.e. end of Nov 2012), I will no longer recieve the one bed rate and just the shared accomodation rent due to my age until June 2012?

Surely, I should have been informed of this and I am liable/contracted to pay for one bedroom rent! :(

Sorry i can't help. I would have thougth you would have been informed of any changes comming (or should be), but the way this evil bunch do things, one gets the feeling they would just do it cause they can.

I thought I would get notice too.....I am severely disabled and do not know how i will deal living in shared accomodation, I recieve DLA Care (middle) and mobility (low), surely this counts as justification for self-contained accomodation?

I think councils are doing the changes quietly because they dont want complaints, riots etc.

The guy who is 35 in june may get away with it as its a very short time left, confusedbunny I am not sure, I know DLA is excempt from the rule but I think I remember nyst saying its only some parts of DLA (high rate only?).

What happened to me is in october they reassessed me under shared room rate.

My rent is just under 400 a month for 1 bed flat. Previously this was deemed reasonable rent and my only deductions were £8 a week for excess income. With the 4 weekly payments this meant I paid approx £70 a month out of my IB towards my rent.

Then I noticed my pament in october was lower than usual, I rang and was informed I had been reassesed to a reasonable rent of just £240 a month. They couldnt explain why but I of course knew why, eventually someone confirmed was due to law changes. They said they had sent a letter out but I never got it, I now have a copy of the letter as they resent it.

This is about an extra £130 a month I now have to pay to my rent making nearly £200 a month I now pay out of my ESA (same as what my IB was £220 every 2 weeks), thats my only income. So now out of approx £440 a month I am having to pay about £200 to rent.

Since moving isnt free, even if I were to move to some cheap bedsit (which I wont due to my health) the cost of moving is probably the same as about 5-6 months worth of lost money on the changes, I am 35 in feb 2014. If i get a discretionary payment for 3 months, this makes it effectivly 8-9 months balance meaning moving isnt going to really gain me much apart from a lot of stress.

Clearly these cuts have had no thoughts on how they affect people, I see nothing legislated that is to help people deal with it, all that happened to me was a sudden large cut to my housing support. As it stands I have enough in the bank to ride it out for 3-4 months losing what I said each month, then after that assuming I dont get a discretionary payment its probably using credit card to buy food for a year until I am 35.

Also there is cuts to council tax benefit next year and the signs from my council are I can expect a huge jump in council tax I pay. I expect it to be large because they are focusing those 10% cuts on a very few set of people.

I also know a solicitor who has got councils to backdown in a few cases in his area, he won under the principle they lowered financial support mid tenancy agreement. However those people are still getting the cuts when their tenancies renew, he is considering doing a large lawsuit for age discrimination for many people at once as well. Because he agrees with me any welfare laws that are based on age are illegal. Incidently usually when there is a change of law on welfare current claimants are protected, this particular one is nasty in that there is no protection.

Edited by worried33

the law is backwards, according to that site if I lived with another adult I would be entitled to more help (self contained) even tho that other adult would have an income contributing.

Its no wonder the most vulnerable are single childless adults. Also if I was registered homeless for 3 months, it suddenly makes me entitled.

the new housing benefit rules for under 35s does come in in april 2013 so theres plenty time yet!

no as the poster said and what I just posted (did you read it?) its been here since jan 2012.

the reason not everyone will be affected is they wait until annual rent review's before making adjustments. So everyone I would expect to be changed by jan 2013 the latest unless they excempt.

it would actually be a lot more to move then I thought as I forgot the £500 penalty for not honouring my tenancy agreement.

Edited by worried33