confusedbunny

Confused over new housing benefit changes for under 35's

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2531 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am confused over this new housing benefit change for under 35's.

Here is my position:

1.I am 34 (35 in June 2012)

2.Renting in the private sector

3.HB claim commenced end of Nov 2011

4.I recieve the full one bed rate

According to the change that took effect from Jan 2012 (i have not even recieved any notification), am I right in thinking that on the anniversay of my claim (i.e. end of Nov 2012), I will no longer recieve the one bed rate and just the shared accomodation rent due to my age until June 2012?

Surely, I should have been informed of this and I am liable/contracted to pay for one bedroom rent! :(

Right. You should be informed.

No, I have recieved no information at all. Does that mean this change effects me in the the next few weeks then? (anniversay of my initial HB claim)

Sorry i can't help. I would have thougth you would have been informed of any changes comming (or should be), but the way this evil bunch do things, one gets the feeling they would just do it cause they can.

Sorry i can't help. I would have thougth you would have been informed of any changes comming (or should be), but the way this evil bunch do things, one gets the feeling they would just do it cause they can.

I thought I would get notice too.....I am severely disabled and do not know how i will deal living in shared accomodation, I recieve DLA Care (middle) and mobility (low), surely this counts as justification for self-contained accomodation?

I think councils are doing the changes quietly because they dont want complaints, riots etc.

The guy who is 35 in june may get away with it as its a very short time left, confusedbunny I am not sure, I know DLA is excempt from the rule but I think I remember nyst saying its only some parts of DLA (high rate only?).

What happened to me is in october they reassessed me under shared room rate.

My rent is just under 400 a month for 1 bed flat. Previously this was deemed reasonable rent and my only deductions were £8 a week for excess income. With the 4 weekly payments this meant I paid approx £70 a month out of my IB towards my rent.

Then I noticed my pament in october was lower than usual, I rang and was informed I had been reassesed to a reasonable rent of just £240 a month. They couldnt explain why but I of course knew why, eventually someone confirmed was due to law changes. They said they had sent a letter out but I never got it, I now have a copy of the letter as they resent it.

This is about an extra £130 a month I now have to pay to my rent making nearly £200 a month I now pay out of my ESA (same as what my IB was £220 every 2 weeks), thats my only income. So now out of approx £440 a month I am having to pay about £200 to rent.

Since moving isnt free, even if I were to move to some cheap bedsit (which I wont due to my health) the cost of moving is probably the same as about 5-6 months worth of lost money on the changes, I am 35 in feb 2014. If i get a discretionary payment for 3 months, this makes it effectivly 8-9 months balance meaning moving isnt going to really gain me much apart from a lot of stress.

Clearly these cuts have had no thoughts on how they affect people, I see nothing legislated that is to help people deal with it, all that happened to me was a sudden large cut to my housing support. As it stands I have enough in the bank to ride it out for 3-4 months losing what I said each month, then after that assuming I dont get a discretionary payment its probably using credit card to buy food for a year until I am 35.

Also there is cuts to council tax benefit next year and the signs from my council are I can expect a huge jump in council tax I pay. I expect it to be large because they are focusing those 10% cuts on a very few set of people.

I also know a solicitor who has got councils to backdown in a few cases in his area, he won under the principle they lowered financial support mid tenancy agreement. However those people are still getting the cuts when their tenancies renew, he is considering doing a large lawsuit for age discrimination for many people at once as well. Because he agrees with me any welfare laws that are based on age are illegal. Incidently usually when there is a change of law on welfare current claimants are protected, this particular one is nasty in that there is no protection.

Edited by worried33

the law is backwards, according to that site if I lived with another adult I would be entitled to more help (self contained) even tho that other adult would have an income contributing.

Its no wonder the most vulnerable are single childless adults. Also if I was registered homeless for 3 months, it suddenly makes me entitled.

the new housing benefit rules for under 35s does come in in april 2013 so theres plenty time yet!

the new housing benefit rules for under 35s does come in in april 2013 so theres plenty time yet!

no as the poster said and what I just posted (did you read it?) its been here since jan 2012.

the reason not everyone will be affected is they wait until annual rent review's before making adjustments. So everyone I would expect to be changed by jan 2013 the latest unless they excempt.

it would actually be a lot more to move then I thought as I forgot the £500 penalty for not honouring my tenancy agreement.

Edited by worried33

Thank you everyone for your reply. I rang my local council today (in panic!) and they inform me, that i am exempt (phew!), as I recieve DLA care,middle rate!! If i had recieved low rate I would not be exempt.....I hope others in a similar situation to me can find clarification to this issue via this thread....;)

I know DLA is excempt from the rule but I think I remember nyst saying its only some parts of DLA (high rate only?).

Mid or high rate care exempts you from the shared room rule. If you have a carer, (might only be overnight?) you're entitled to a second room. (and HB to cover it)

Mid or high rate care exempts you from the shared room rule. If you have a carer, (might only be overnight?) you're entitled to a second room. (and HB to cover it)

Do you mean a 2 bed, self contained property or 2 bedrooms within shared accomodation?

If it's shared accommodation, you'll only get enough to cover the going rate for shared accommodation.

If it's shared accommodation, you'll only get enough to cover the going rate for shared accommodation.

Ahh, yes. Ok, thanks ;)

as you are in receipt of middle rate care component of dla the shared room rate does not apply to you,

so you will receive the one bedroom self contained rate whether you are in shared or self contained accommodation

if you are renting a larger property because you need an overnight carer, you may be able to get the 2 bedroom rate

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.