badback2

ESA 113 - is it's use commonplace ?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2532 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Is anyone aware whether this form (which can be used by atos/dwp to obtain basic medical info from a claimant's gp prior to a face to face assessment) is in practice commonly used ? I ask because the form is very one sided in its questioning and it may be easier for a claimant to obtain a similar report direct from gp, Further it seems unlikely that atos have time to make contact w/ gp's. On a related topic is a ESA claimant now allowed to request that medical be taped and will such a reasonable request be granted ?

Ok, I'm confused. Probably nothing new in that statement. I've looked at the ESA113 online and what it asks appears to be completely in line with ESA and the Descriptors. I appreciate that might appear to be 'one sided' but I'm not exactly sure what else you would want to have included in a form asking about ESA and their Descriptors. Space is provided for further explanation.

As for whether or not anybody actually bothers to contact the GP - from ATOSH or DWP - that's a different kettle of catfish. In my experience - four years on the assessment rate - no. Neither the DWP (for ESA) nor ATOS have ever contacted my GP. The only people with either the common courtesy or the inquisitiveness to do so were DLA.

As for WCA's being taped, your guess is as good as mine. The answer is: Probably. Don't hold your breath. We'll make it difficult. Do you want to be in WRAG or Support anytime soon? ...

Thx rae. My key concern re esa113 was that if ( and i agree thats a big if !) atos or dwp send form to gp that they then first liaise with the claimant in order to allow the gp to be fully appraised of whether or not a return to workplace is feasible. Re "onto Wrag or support anytime soon" ; tad confused by that statement my friend.

Thx rae. My key concern re esa113 was that if ( and i agree thats a big if !) atos or dwp send form to gp that they then first liaise with the claimant in order to allow the gp to be fully appraised of whether or not a return to workplace is feasible. Re "onto Wrag or support anytime soon" ; tad confused by that statement my friend.

Hello there.

I'm a bit confused too. Would you be able to clarify please about the GP being apprised of whether a return to work is feasible? Do you mean by the claimant or by someone else?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I think i may have the answer. According to a CAB report an ESA113 is only sent out in 8% max of claims and only then when( as per current DWP guidance) an ATOS doctor senses that a face to face ass'ment may not be required. Thus in practice it would appear that the ESA113 is rarely requested and the burden to provide medical evidence is left to the claimant. Any comments to concur w/ or refute the above .

Interesting. I was informed that a form had been sent to my GP.

ok Nysta....w/o appearing to be intrusive does that then mean that you fall into the "special" category as referenced above ?

:badback2:

Consensus of opinion on CAG is that an ESA50 should be completed honestly with as much detail as possible. If necessary, use extra sheets and staple them to the ESA50. Fraid the jury's out on what constitutes sequential personal actions cos Jobcentreplus keep moving the goalposts. Rethink's site has an excellent guide to the work capability assessment and coping with the mental health descriptors on an ESA50. Whether it's better than the one mentioned on your other thread is personal preference.

Once every other blue moon Atos send an ESA113 to a claimant's doctor for further medical evidence. The most usual time is when the ESA50 is skim read for the possibility of employment n support allowance without a face to face interview but one can be sent at any stage during a work capability assessment. Atos don't notify the claimant cos permission to contact the claimant's medical professionals is part of the declaration on page 19 of an ESA50. Atos won't care whether your sister or her doctor feel a return to work is feasible.

Everyone 'invited' for a face to face can ask, on the ESA50 or via letter, for the assessment to be audio recorded. :RaeUK: asked if you wanted your sister in the work related activity or support group any time soon cos it can take months to get an audio recorded assessment. The 12 months limit for contribution based entitlement doesn't apply to the support group.

Sincerely, Margaret. :panda:

Edited by **Margaret**

ok Nysta....w/o appearing to be intrusive does that then mean that you fall into the "special" category as referenced above ?

I am wondering the same thing. In one way, I hope so. I have explained on my form that I would struggle (due to various medical issues) with a medical.

I was going to post I believe its rare as we have welfare rights etc. complaining that the DWP dont do enough to get evidence including contacting GP's. I assumed this meant these forms are rarely sent out. However I have no way to back this up with facts, its just what I assumed.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/esa113-interactive.pdf

Is this any help http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20090702123014398225

• introduction of Employment and Support Allowance will not make significant changes to a GP's dealings with patients, or the amount of paperwork a GP needs to complete
  • will still provide "statements of incapacity for work" (usually on form Med 3) until the WCA assessment is carried out, usually within the first 13 weeks of a claim for Employment and Support Allowance
  • a GP may be asked by DWP to complete a factual ESA113 report on a patient
    • form can be completed from medical records
    • no need to carry out a separate examination of patient
    • DWP will only ask for an ESA113 to be completed if:
      • could result in patient's entitlement to additional financial support being confirmed on paper evidence, without need for a face to face assessment, or
      • if, in the case of reassessing a patient's continuing entitlement to Employment and Support Allowance, it could result in ongoing entitlement being confirmed without need for another face to face assessment.

[*]occasionally a healthcare professional carrying out the WCA may phone for more information

• not necessary to discuss with patient before releasing clinical information because they have already given their consent for this as part of the claim procedure
    • your patient will not be denied benefits solely based on the information on this form
    • an expert decision maker makes the decision to award Employment and Support Allowance based on a range of information and evidence, including independent medical advice

Just say No to 0870 and 0845 Numbers,Use

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php