Spankie

Equidebt harrassing parents

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2528 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Afternoon Ladies and Gents.

Sorry to bother you, but I'm looking for a little help and advice (kinda just checking that I've got my head in order). In order to do so, I'd probably better add in the background story...

About eight years ago my marriage broke down, and we had small debt problems at the time (we're talking hundreds, not thousands). My ex-wife was not particularly co-operative when we parted and blocked our joint bank account (which only ever held my earnings, hers went into her own current account). As you can guess, this caused all sorts of chaos whilst trying to get things re organised ref DDs and SOs.Added to which, she never forwarded mail.

Anyways, I did the best I could at the time, and a year later left the UK in search of adventure. Not being particularly ambitious, I ended up stopping in the first place I landed, Poland.

I've heard nothing from any DCA since I left the UK, until this summer I came back with my most recent SWMBO to help her set up a company for her Father. In the interests of speed, I organised two mobiles on contract, but personally and at my parents address, and after the first month's payments changed them over to the company.

Pretty much from the day I took out the phone contract Equidebt have been contacting my parents by mail (though letters addressed to me), and now more worryingly, by telephone. Understandably they are both very upset, and not being one to upset the apple cart with those we sometimes rely on in times of need, I do not intend to involve them at all, if at all possible, in resolving this matter.

Now, sorry for babbling on, but, if I am correct, this "debt" (of which I have never spoken to Equidebt, either verbally or by writing) is statute barred, is it not?

If I now call Equidebt, will I restart the 6 year period???, or as that has already lapsed, can it not be restarted?

I'm not quite sure what to do...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Welcome to CAG, for a debt to become statute barred the must have been no payments or written acknowledgment in 6 clear years, could your ex have made any transactions on the account.

My guess is that applyiing for the mobile accounts has alerted the creditors via the reference checks made by the phone company.

It would be best to check UK credit reference files if you can.

Do not phone Equidebt, if you are sure the conditions above are correct send the following letter to the Compliance Manager at Equidebt.

Ref: as on their letters.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I refer to the various letters that Equidebt have benn sending to me at ( give address) regarding an alleged debt for £xxxxx.xx, please take note I do not acknowledge any debt to Equidebt or any company you may claim to represent.

Have checked my credit history I have concluded that any such alleged debt is statute barred, therefore I will not now or in the future make any payment or offer of payment in regard to any alleged debt.

I am no longer resident in the UK and have no longer any connection with that address you will now remove all data regarding me and the address to which have corresponded with immediate effect.

Final Response.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for the advice Brig. However, how the hell can I check credit reference files whilst having a foreign address? None of them seem to want to accept it...

Ahh you don't come back on a regular basis.

OK just send the letter drafted.

My guess is they'll give up on both counts no longer in UK and Statute Barred.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: