penben

Barclaycard dormancy

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2530 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I had a barclaycard with a £500 credit limit which I last used in 2004 and never cleared the debt. Due to employment relocations I never received any correspondence on the subject which is clearly a matter of my own neglect. I still use the same Barclays savings account from that time. I have lived at my current address for the last 7 years and receive account correspondence.

Having read various threads on the subject I am concerned that my card account is dormant accruing charges. I don't want to ask in case this triggers an immediate demand. Do they have a deliberate policy of dormancy and what circumstances would cause them to activate a demand.

Pete

If you've heard nothing about the Barclaycard for over 6 years, nor made any payments to it, then any attempt by them to enforce it would be statute-barred. However, a warning: that merely prevents enforcement and the debt would still exist, so they would still have a right of set-off against any assets held in other accounts, such as your savings.

This forum does not advocate avoidance of legitimate debts but you need to be aware of that risk. Maybe you should think about moving your savings to a higher interest account anyway?

Also, check your CRA file for any traces of the Barclaycard account. It's so old that it might have fallen off your file, but it's the only way to find out its current status without asking Barclays directly.

Hi Penben and welcome to CAG

I'll move this to the BC forum for you.

A debt would be Statute Barred if, during the last 6 years (5 years in Scotland), you have :-

1. Made no payments toward the a/c.

2. Not acknowledged the debt in writing by, for instance, offering to pay at so much per month or saying you'll pay something when you can next afford it.

Any money held by you in a Barclays a/c is at risk of Set Off. I'm not sure if they can still Set Off after 6 years but the risk is that they'd do it anyway and leave you to argue about the matter if you can.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)