BankFodder BankFodder

Spiral123

Leeting Agent leaving Messages that Rent owed to work colleagues

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2623 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

A few months back I was in arrears for one months rent. The letting agents were really aggressive and when leaving messages with reception at work, they told them that for me to call them as it was due to outstandiing rent money owed! this happened on at least 3 occassions to 3 different members of staff.

I wrote an email regarding this breach in data protection etc... I still have not recieved a reply not to mention a sniff of an apology.

Who can I complain to about their behaviour?

Am I able to seek monetary restitution for slight on my character ( I work in a financial institution, so not good for my character that they let some of my co workers know I was in rent arrears).:-x

Whilst the agency should not have informed the random people they spoke to on the phone that they wanted to talk to you about rent arrears, there was no slight on your character because of it and no reason for monetary 'restitution' either - they have a defence of truth. You were, in fact, in arrears.

If you don't want your colleagues to know you didn't pay your rent, tell the agency never to call you at work again.

You have no claim for compensation though.

I can't really see a breach of DPA either, as no personal data was disclosed ie amount of rent owed.

It is normal for a receptionist to ask why a person is calling and for a caller to give one. without any malice intended.

OP should be grateful that LA tel to make him aware of poss problem with rent, and not make first contact via s8 or s21. I doubt OPs colleagues were bothered. 'There, but by the Grace of God, go I'

Thanls for replys people, was just peeved at time. A simple please contact such & such re personal matter would have sufficed, rather than a scare tactic debt collection approach from a supposedly "professional" Estate Agents.