jahthecat

Road Tax - fixed penalty charge - Vehicle Excise Licence / Duty

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2531 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

This is my first post and was hoping someone could respond with some information to help me decide on my plan of action.

I recieved a £30 fixed penalty notice in relation to not displaying a current excise licence (section 33 (1) of the vehicle excise and registraion act 1994)

The penalty notice was issued by a police officer on 06-11-12 at 10.30pm in the car park outside my flat. The car park is owned by the housing association, not the local council of which I have a share (being an owner occupier).

The vehicle did have a current excise licence issued on 07-10-12 and had this in the vehicle. Although it had slipped out of its holder and was lying between the windscreen and the dashboard. I had not noticed this, as the vehicle had not been moved for over a week.

The vehicle is a registered disabled car used mainly to transport my disabled daughter about and was parked in her disabled parking bay and showing a current blue badge.

I must say that I was disappointed to find a ticket on my windscreen when I was putting my child on to her school bus in the morning of 07-11-12 and that the issuing officer did not check that a current excise licence was actulally issued and investigate matter a bit further.

I was thinking of appealing but need to go to court to do this. I am anxious that if I go to court I will end up with a much bigger fine for challenging it. I was hoping to get information to allow me to assess what my options are.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I'll move your thread to the DVLA forum here and hope the guys will be able to help you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi

This is my first post and was hoping someone could respond with some information to help me decide on my plan of action.

I recieved a £30 fixed penalty notice in relation to not displaying a current excise licence (section 33 (1) of the vehicle excise and registraion act 1994)

The penalty notice was issued by a police officer on 06-11-12 at 10.30pm in the car park outside my flat. The car park is owned by the housing association, not the local council of which I have a share (being an owner occupier).

The vehicle did have a current excise licence issued on 07-10-12 and had this in the vehicle. Although it had slipped out of its holder and was lying between the windscreen and the dashboard. I had not noticed this, as the vehicle had not been moved for over a week.

The vehicle is a registered disabled car used mainly to transport my disabled daughter about and was parked in her disabled parking bay and showing a current blue badge.

I must say that I was disappointed to find a ticket on my windscreen when I was putting my child on to her school bus in the morning of 07-11-12 and that the issuing officer did not check that a current excise licence was actulally issued and investigate matter a bit further.

I was thinking of appealing but need to go to court to do this. I am anxious that if I go to court I will end up with a much bigger fine for challenging it. I was hoping to get information to allow me to assess what my options are.

If this was a private car park, then the ticket is invalid. As far as I am aware a housing association car park is now private.

The offence under s.33. Vehicle Excise & Registration Act 1994, is only committed if the vehicle is used or kept on a public road - a road repairable at public expense (Eng, Wales & N.Irl) or 'Road' as in the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 (Sco).

There is no requirement to display a licence if the vehicle is not on a public road.

I agree, the penalty I assume is for failure to display on the public highway, a private car park clearly is not. I would appeal.

I am beginning to suspect that the ticket may have been issued by a PPC and not a policeman. OP perhaps needs to upload scan of ticket for verification.

Hi

The penalty notice was issued by a police officer on 06-11-12 at 10.30pm in the car park outside my flat.

I was thinking of appealing but need to go to court to do this. I am anxious that if I go to court I will end up with a much bigger fine for challenging it.

Certainley not issued by a Private Parking Company.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Certainley not issued by a Private Parking Company.

Until we see the ticket, who knows. What would a policeman be doing walking around a private car park as any policeman would know that most tickets they issued would be unenforceable. Doubt if a policeman would waste their time looking for traffic offences on a private car park anyway. :-D

Until we see the ticket, who knows. What would a policeman be doing walking around a private car park as any policeman would know that most tickets they issued would be unenforceable. Doubt if a policeman would waste their time looking for traffic offences on a private car park anyway. :-D

Even the OP states it was issued by a Police Officer and (Fixed Penalty Notice?) Who else issues them?

If it was a private car park then yes the FPN would be invalid.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS