Car left on my drive

Sparks_
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4181 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wanted some advice, my son and his friend parked a car on my drive as they wanted to work on it, the car belongs to my sons friend, its been there a year now and I want it gone.

I have asked my son to contact his friend to arrange for the car to be moved, so far my son has not been able to contact his friend, so he says, can I dispose of the car? It is not drivable, it isnt taxed or mot'd, am I allowed to dispose of it or must I just leave it there?

This could be complicated. It is his property and disposing of it from your drive could be "problematic".

If your son is OK with it, push it out and park it on to the road. The Council will tow a car with no tax, especially if an "anonymous resident" were to report an untaxed car on the road.

Slight problem, I live on a housing estate managed by a housing association and they have sent me a letter saying they dont allow cars to be parked on their estates that are not taxed or mot'd even if on your drive!

Edited to say, I dont rent my home from them but a private landlord who has bought the house and there was nothing on my lease about not having untaxed cars on my drive!

You could check with the council to see if the road outside your house is "adopted". If it is, my plan will work as it will be the council's responsibility and not the housing association.

If not then I can only refer you to my first comment. Disposing of it could be "problematic" - it is not your property...

A friend of mine had a very similar occurrance about 3 years ago. He phoned the Council - not interested. He phone the Police - not interested.

But the friendly booby did suggest that if he leaves a "Notice Of Intent" on the car, he could then dispose of it with no come back. (Not strictly true, but highly unlikely to pursue). This is the notice I typed up for him. Feel free to copy and paste into a word document.

good luck.

After 2 days, he had "travellers" knocking on his door. He told them if it wasn't claimed on day 15, it was theirs.

They came with a trailer and towed it away on the 15th day.

REMEMBER: if this happens to you - don't go back on your word. Let them have it.

=======================================================================================

NOTICE OF INTENT

to remove and dispose of vehicle

"make, model, colour, reg number"

I am hereby issuing a notice of intent (date). If the vehicle remains upon theprivate land of XXXX full address XXXX after 14 days, it will be removed and disposed of via a scrap car collection service and destroyed.

For further details contact:

mobile number

Can I trace the lad from the number plate on the car? Then send him a letter requesting he remove the car and giving him 14 days to do so or I will dispose of it?

You can apply to the DVLA at a cost of £2.50. Car parked on you land is reasonable cause for requesting details of the registered keeper.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/data/relinfo/howtorequest.aspx?keywords=keeper+details

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Slight problem, I live on a housing estate managed by a housing association and they have sent me a letter saying they dont allow cars to be parked on their estates that are not taxed or mot'd even if on your drive!

Edited to say, I dont rent my home from them but a private landlord who has bought the house and there was nothing on my lease about not having untaxed cars on my drive!

It isn't your car so no issue?