do i have to pay?

anubis61
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

try to keep this as short as possible..... three years ago I was married to my ex..she had 3 children from a previous relationship and wanted to claim tax credits etc,. When she tried to, she had to get me to complete a form as we were married and it had to be a joint claim (tax office told me this). well to cut a long story short an overpayment was made (all payments went direct into her account and I was not aware of whether or not she was overpaid) a year or so ago HMRC contacted me to say about the overpayment and that they want it back. I wrote to them explaining that it was my ex wifes claim not mine. they returned saying it was a joint claim so both liable...i wrote again explaining i only claimed because they had said to and did not see why they should ask me for all the money or indeed any of it. I asked what they were asking of her as she still claims and they said that they cannot discuss. anyway I have now received a letter from them stating that I have not paid so therefore they are changing my PAYE tax code to recoup the overpayment!!!

I am at a loss...why should i be liable for this when she has had the money and spent it! we done a clean break divorce and I even gave her the car and paid her legal fees. this seems grossly unfair...anything I can do??

Joint claim = joint and severally liable for any monies over paid. Did you sign the joint claim form? If so then I think you will find you are liable for 50% of the money owed but no more then that

that is the annoying thing in that i was told by the tax people that i had to sign a joint claim for her claim to be looked at

Hi Anubis,

Whenever any creditor has a chance to get money back from one party or another, they'll always go for the target that's most likely to get them what they want.

So, in your case, they're looking to you to repay the overpayment because that's the way they'll recoup the overpayment most quickly.

Have they supplied you with full details of how and why the overpayment arose. I'm sure they can't demand payment without explaining how it arose. That would be letting them have their cake and eat it !

Have you discussed this at all with the sol'r who was involved in the separation.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)