vicki_plum

Is the minimum wage too low?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2564 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

do we need to raise the minimum wage to match inflation? do we need the introduction of a living wage? opinions welcome :)

A 'living wage' is the term used to describe how much someone needs to earn per hour to afford the basic essentials in life, not luxuries, essentials. The campaign for a living wage is growing in strength with

Labour now throwing its support behind the idea and London mayor Boris Johnson saying it has his wholehearted support.

The recommended living wage was recently set at £8.55 an hour in London and £7.45 an hour for

the rest of the UK. The minimum wage is £6.19. Please sign the petition in favour of raising the national minimum wage to match the living wage needed for people to be able to support themselves.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41273

Edited by Conniff

Personal opinion - NO.

This isn't the government giving it away, it is the employer who pay the wages, many of whom can't afford to up the pay of their employees. If someone thinks their wage is too low, there is nothing to stop them going to the boss and negotiating a pay rise for themselves, but to force an increase, not just could, but would make a lot of companies who are just hanging in there become insolvent. They will either sack workers or shut down.

If a company isn't giving, as you say, a 'living wage' it's your decision whether you work for them or not.

Next, what is this so called living wage? does it include a subscription to Sky or Virgin, beer, cigarettes a car? none of these things are essentials yet the world seems to think they have a right to them, usually ahead of other things.

Why is London a special case? It cost no more to produce a loaf of bread in London that it does anywehre else in the country, so why should they have a higher wage than other places. Nursing is a good example, it cost no more to bandage a broken leg in London than it does in Penzance yet the pay difference is enormous.

This country has priced itstelf into poverty, why do you think Dyson (and a million others) shut his factory here and moved to China, because the wages in the UK are too high meaning the product on the shelf is it too expensive and no one is buying it, you must be competitive to survive.

So in my opinion, cut your cloth according to your means and put your words somewhere where it will make a difference. Plymouth City Council give £100,000 per year to Unions, i don't remember giving my permission to do this or being asked if I wanted to contribute to Unions.

I assume other councils do the same. Stop this, (and other), giveaways of your pay so the CT could be reduced.

Edited by Conniff

The problem is that the higher the wages, the higher the cost of buying the product. People stop buying the product as it is cheaper to buy the Chinese version. Company then goes bankrupt and many people end up unemployed.

In the service industry, instead of 5 people doing the job they trim it down to 3 people or the company/restaurant goes bankrupt and every one loses their job. More people unemployed.

A minimum wage has it merits, but you need to draw a line somewhere.