vicki_plum

Important! Campaign for a living wage for all, sign this petition!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2225 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello All!

A 'living wage' is the term used to describe how much someone needs to earn per hour to afford the basic essentials in life, not luxuries, essentials. The campaign for a living wage is growing in strength with

Labour now throwing its support behind the idea and London mayor Boris Johnson saying it has his wholehearted support.

The recommended living wage was recently set at £8.55 an hour in London and £7.45 an hour for

the rest of the UK. The minimum wage is £6.19. Please sign the petition in favour of raising the national minimum wage to match the living wage needed for people to be able to support themselves. find the petition by clicking here-

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41273

Get a second job?

Ash.

If you think I have helped you, please add to my reputation by clicking the star button to the left.

Thankyou.

I'll Sign. It's a worthwhile petition and I hope more people do.

Pitcher

Awop-Bop-A-Loo-Mop-Alop-Bam-Boom. ~ Little Richard.

Why? If people were paid a living wage we would save billions in welfare benefits

We have already priced ourselves out of the market with the price of British made goods due to high wages and if those prices have to be increased yet again, even more people will be on benefits as companies move offshore. Daft petition raised by someone who has no idea of economics!

Ok, all calm down please!

My humble opinion: although I'm a long term unemployed, I'm against the living wage and the national minimun wage. It has created a black market for people willing to work cash in hand.

I'd rather work for £4 an hour legally than have other people work for £4 cash-in-hand and not pay tax and NI.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Ok, all calm down please!

My humble opinion: although I'm a long term unemployed, I'm against the living wage and the national minimun wage. It has created a black market for people willing to work cash in hand.

I'd rather work for £4 an hour legally than have other people work for £4 cash-in-hand and not pay tax and NI.

That is very sensible long term thinking. We all like to have a good standard of living, but that comes at a price!

We have already priced ourselves out of the market with the price of British made goods due to high wages and if those prices have to be increased yet again, even more people will be on benefits as companies move offshore. Daft petition raised by someone who has no idea of economics!

Hi,

I humbly suggest, playing junior economist is a dangerous thing, just look at what George Osborn has done. A man with a poor degree in history/Art and with no real life work experience has become Chancellor of the exchequer. Priceless!

A living wage means exactly what it says. Paying someone just enough to live on, no more no less.

How are people supposed to live if their employer pays them less than what is needed to survive?

Are you advocating begging, robbery or maybe even prostitution to make up the short fall? please explain.

Regards

pitcher

Edited by pitcher

Awop-Bop-A-Loo-Mop-Alop-Bam-Boom. ~ Little Richard.

Hi,

I humbly suggest, playing junior economist is a dangerous thing, just look at what George Osborn has done. A man with a poor degree in history/Art and with no real life work experience has become Chancellor of the exchequer. Priceless!

A living wage means exactly what it says. Paying someone just enough to live on, no more no less.

How are people supposed to live if their employer pays them less than what is needed to survive?

Are you advocating begging, robbery or maybe even prostitution to make up the short fall? please explain.

Regards

pitcher

Obviously you have no understanding of economics. No one is knocking a living wage. It is us that have pushed up the price of goods as we wanted more and more. Result is we end up earning below a living wage. If we increase wages we end up in the same vicious circle and eventually every one will be earning £100 per hour, but at the same time a living wage should be £110 per hour. Get it?

That's a good petition in my opinion. I'll sign

Everybody should be able to afford at least a basic living of their wages.

I've very happily signed. Basic good economics to me are, if you are on a living wage then you can come off certain government financial support. This means more money in the Gov. coffers to spend on e.g. keeping local services open such as libraries. This means people are kept in employment and kept off benefits which means more money is pumped back into the economy. Yes, employers would have to pay more, but presumably this simply means they would pay less tax as their outgoings would be more. Oversimplified perhaps, but you get the drift of it..